“£29 B&B” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 39 hotels in Coventry
Manchester, United Kingdom
“£29 B&B”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Hotel was full of coach parties doing the Cathedral, Stratford & Warwick sites I suspect. I read the Tripadvisor reviews after booking and was really expecting the hotel to be dreadful. It was not great by any stretch of the imagination but better than I had expected. My room, 347, was big and clean but very tired looking.The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I went down for breakfast expecting it to be poor but was pleasantly surprised. Its a buffet so you can get as much as you want and the quality was reasonable.

To bring this hotel up to 'good' would require a massive amount of investment and then the prices would have to increase so would they be able to fill what is a very big hotel.

Room Tip: Go for room 347. Its next door to room 222. Work that one out.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
St. Neot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Greetings All
Having read many of the reviews of this hotel alleging it's not very good as far as friendly staff, quality of food, cleanliness was concerned. It worried me a little. As usual ( with 2 exceptions) the reviews slagging the hotel were ridiculous. There will always be some gripes. In general service was good as was the food. Staff were friendly and helpful. The food good and portions large.
I don't think that people should expect the "Ritz" when they stay at a Britannia Hotel. They get excellent value for money. I have stayed at 6 Britannia Hotels all of which were never below good!
Don't be put off by the bad reviews.

Room Tip: 4 rooms we saw were all good
Wrexham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked this through a coach company and were very excited when we got to the hotel, it looked really elegant and impressive when we entered the reception area. We took the only lift up to our room, bearing in mind 3 coaches pulled up within minutes of each other. The room decor was ok, we had a pink bath,sink and loo but it was clean. However the plumbing left a lot to be desired, it definatley needs sorting out, you couldn't hear each other talk when someone ran the water etc. The tv had no remote, one lamp didn't work and there wasn't a fridge. The view was obscured by misty windows. We only had 1 coffee and 1 t bag each. The bed linen was stained with what looked like blood.
The evening meal, for the 4 nights we stayed, was carvery. We were told our eating time was 7:45 and our tables were the ones with green napkins on. We did manage to stick to the same table every night but others didn't as peolpe were told to sit anywhere.
I require a Gluten free diet, which was clearly marked on the booking reservation, however it wasn't provided as such. I was told items were gluten free by one person only to be told by another that they weren't. Another traveller provided her own bread, which she allowed me to have a few slices, and when i enquired how they toasted the bread, the young lady said "in the toaster" i asked her if she understood the complications of cross contamination and she looked blankly at me so i went and bought toaster bags. The chef one night was really grumpy, he wouldn't allow you to pick up a plate and insisted on serving you the potatoes, veg etc Not helpful when he's sticking items on your plate that you can't eat!
The breakfast was ok, but i only have toast in the morning, which they couldn't provide so i had to have a greasy beakfast 4 mornings in a row.
I felt sorry for the staff as they were rushing round, obviously not enough of them when there are 3 coaches in.
I have stayed in various Brittania hotels and have never had such a negative experience. Gluten free food has always been provided without prior warning. I am disappointed that they couldn't provide a GF dish every night and provide GF bread.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
mk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over a weekend in April 2013, and booked the DB&B package which also included fruit and chocs on arrival and a free bottle of wine voucher which had to claim at the bar but were allowed to take it home with us rather than drink it at the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel we were the only ones checking in at the time so got checked in quick and were given our room key, however on arrival in the room it had not been made up, the bed linen was on the floor and still had dirty cups etc in so was not even ready. We had to therefore go back to reception and were given a different room which thankfully was made up, but then we had to wait for our fruit and chocs to arrive in the new room.

We made use of the gym and pool during our stay and we did not have to pay for this which was a bonus as the swimming pool always seemed to be busy so you could not have a peaceful swim, and the changing rooms had a dirty feel to them.

The room itself was clean enough but not a very good view. When we looked on the internet and saw the old building we assumed we would be staying in this but in fact all the rooms are in a new building built to the side.

Dinner and breakfast was fine and edible and the sausages at breakfast were very nice so no complaints with the food.

We were disturbed on Saturday night at 3am in the morning by some very loud and drunk people who were staying there, which was not very pleasant, and who then went on to bang on doors in the early hours.

Overall it was an ok stay but building could do with some TLC. We would not return and I would not recommend to friends and family unless you were in the area and wanted a budget stay

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My friends and i whilst doing a road trip we were just ringing around for rooms the chap at the royal stated they had rooms available, when we got there the grounds looked amazing and we were very excited. As per norm before I check into a room I usual check out the facilities, I asked for a tour from a chap at reception, 1stly I noticed he was eating at the desk and talking to me with his month full, I noticed his uniform was creased and he had dandruff on his shoulders. He assured me someone will give me a tour I waited the polite amount of time then to be told that its a busy night I waited in total of 30mins, I didn't mind as I could see they were busy and I assumed if its this busy it's has to be good.

Finally I had my tour, via creaky corridors, drafty windows, dated decor, past loud guests, we finally got to the room of choice.
I was really amazed, gob smacked and horrified to learn that all the rooms were similar.
With late 1970 to early 1990's decor, with a bed that reminded me of the movie exorcist, bed linen that's seen better days and needs to be binned, small tv, huge room with little furniture or comforts, drafty window, dripping bathroom tap, mouldy bathroom titles, rusty shower head. I ask the chap showing me around if there was amy other better room he smirked and apologised.
Back at reception I was told that all their chain of hotels are exactly the same and I shouldn't expect any better for the price.
Im not a snob but I like nice things just like anyone else would however this was just a run down, seen better days, hotel grave yard but has amazing grounds, and I do expect better regardless if the price it's the 21st century and ikea is down the road, with the prices these hotels charge they can afford to do one room up at a time.
Needless to say I did not stay there in fact I stayed in another hotel with around the same price with higher standards.
You may ask why I feel the need to document such a long essay on a place I failed to stay at, well again I'm looking for a place to stay however this time I'm planning it, I went onto last minute.com only to find this hotel priced at £100 per night, I find this shocking a very misleading, I feel sorry for anyone who books this hotel at that price especially if they are visiting our country from abroad, this hotel is not an example of England to tourist. England is an amazing beautiful country and people should not be fooled to pay so much for so little when if they're tourist they could spend their money more wisely visiting English heritage sites and local pubs and clubs, I'm afraid if they pay £100 to stay at this establishment that they will believe that we really are rip of Britain.

Stayed April 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

when you are feeling a little jaded and you need a weekend away there is no better place we stayed in room 128 the room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was pretty new and the bed was 1st class which gives you the feeling that they care about you in this place the meals were good and served in carvery style which we prefer and the staff are very helpful the entertainment was so-so but then you can,t have everything the bars were a little under staffed but there were two weddings here and everyone was happy we travelled with national holidays which after setting off after 7-55 am it took all day to reach your destination and was even worse coming back when will national understand that when its home time it is best to get back early as you may need to use public transport on account of the limited no of pick-up and drop off points they use these days...but it was a good weekend

Room Tip: you do not need to choose as i suspect the room are mostly the same
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here to break up the journey on our way home from France, we booked a night on a whim a few days before arriving.
Couldn't have been happier when we arrived, the setting was lovely and peaceful, and it looked quite good from outside. I expect it was a very grand hotel in its day (which admittedly may have been 1970 but you get what you pay for)
The service at reception was great, no bother at all, room was lovely and big, bed was comfortable enough, bathroom was like being in a time warp, but the bath was big and had good water pressure. No shower which was a bit of a let down.
Decided to have the carvery for dinner, We were happy with it, food was tasty and service was good, even with multiple functions on at the same time.
Breakfast again was good, all you can eat buffet with good choice.
There was a kettle in room, and a hairdryer, and a trouser press.
I imagine it would be spectacular when it was a bit newer, or if it was done up, but its a massive place, and it was certainly clean and comfortable enough for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Court Hotel - Coventry? Share your experiences!