“a long wait for average food” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #274 of 435 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This place is at the moment on your system as a hotel,however I eat here on a regular bases in the restaurant and I have to say the food is excellent,especially the steak !!
Leeds, United Kingdom
“a long wait for average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

A busy Fayre & Square Pub restaurant, but we waited for 1 hour for our food to arrive, breakfast was OK, but we chose to dine out on the second evening

Visited November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Cheap...for good reason”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went here for lunch on Sunday after waking up worse-for-wear and craving a burger or steak. We were going to go to the Harvester on Kenpas Highway but, remembering some bad reviews of the place, decided to try the Cocked Hat instead.

We were surprised at how cheap the food was, but I know why now: the quality is terrible.

The staff were very friendly, apart from the sullen boy who served the food. All the other women we were served by were great. However the tables had a whiff of dirty-mop, and the laminated menus were tacky-to-touch and designed like a kiddies menu.

The combo starter was great value for money and not too bad (apart from the minute chicken wings which tasted of very dubious quality to me).

The main, however, was not good. The plate was cold, the chips on both our plates were lukewarm at best. My burger was not very tasty, burnt in places and presented as if it had liternally been thrown on the plate. My partner's mixed combo was a bit better and the steak was great and cooked perfectly (rare verging on blue).

Would definitely not go back willingly. I would rather pay an extra £5 or so per main and get a better quality meal.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Absolute disappointment.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a regular visitor of The Cocked Hat and I have to say, my last trip was extremely disappointing.

It was relatively busy when we arrived, but not as busy as I have previously seen it. After ordering our food, we had to wait an hour for it to be served. We had even asked what the waiting time was and were told that it was just the cooking time. After half an hour, we asked where our food was and were told it was 'on it's way'. It didn't arrive for a further 30 minutes, making the waiting time for our main meals just over an hour.

My father ordered a mixed grill, and every single piece of meat on the plate was stone cold. He complained about this and had it sent back. It arrived back within ten minutes cooked properly, but it is a disappointment that we had already waited an hour and then the food was not to satisfaction.

However, we then ordered a desert. All we ordered were two ice cream sundaes. By this time, the restaurant was nearly completely empty. After 20 minutes of waiting, we asked where they were and the staff had forgotten about our order. They finally arrived half an hour after ordering, and then the orders were wrong. We had ordered two plain chocolate ice cream sundaes with no cream. One arrived correctly, and the other arrived as a mix of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, covered in cream. We told the waitress that the order was wrong and she offered to change it, but we said we didn't want to wait another half an hour. No apology was given.

Upon collecting our dishes, another waitress asked if we had enjoyed the evening and we said no and told her everything that was wrong with it. She apologised and asked if we wanted to speak to her manager. We said that we would like to, and she went off to get him. We waited a further half an hour and the manager never came, so we left feeling very disappointed with our night out.

I am a regular visitor but I don't think I'll be going back again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We met up with our daughter and grandchildren to have a meal here. The staff are friendly and seem keen to ensure that you know all about the restaurant and its guarantees. We tried to book for a table for five but the booking quota was full. We were told to turn up and the wait shouldn't be more than 30 mins. This was the case. The food takes a little while to come but with a packed restaurant this is hardly surprising. The food was exactly as described, hot and tasty. We had 3 soft drinks, 1 bottle of wine (not the cheapest on the menu) 2 children's meals and 3 adult meals for just over £50, we didn't even take advantage of the meal deals. We felt that this was excellent value and just wish that the chain had extended to where we live. Will definitely vist again.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good value and lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We went out for a large (21) family gathering on a Tuesday night and were slightly taken aback by how packed the car park was. We'd made a last minute reservation (thank goodness) and were all seated in a nice room just off the main restaurant area. There was another family party going on at the same time but no problem with service or crowding. The menu is large and there were lots of "deals". I had the ultimate mixed grill combo because I was starving and at £11.50 it was stunning value. We all ordered separately at the bar but because we used the same table number, we were able to arrange for all the meals to be served together. Some of our group had starters so we actually didn't get the mains until 45 minutes after ordering. But I thought that was pretty acceptable given we were such a large party. My combo was surprisingly good - the only negative was that the chicken skewer was a little on the dry side. Quantities generally were generous and everyone seemed to enjoy their dishes. The staff were friendly and efficient - not one dish was wrong. The coffee was good, drinks reasonable, and atmosphere pleasant. It was one of our party's birthday and the staff happily took the birthday cake we brought and then produced it with all candles lit at an appropriate point. It was a very enjoyable and surprisingly good evening and we plan to return to try out the rest of the menu.