“Top Indian restaurant in Coventry” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London
“Top Indian restaurant in Coventry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked a group for 5 in Akbars. Great place to eat in coventry. Parking now problem as you can park in the hotel opp the restaurant. The food was amazing, I tried the king prawns, they are mouth watering. The portions of the dishes are of a good size. The service is 100% even though they were really busy. The staff are so generally interested in you as a person. They take care of you and give good recommendations on dishes. The deco of the resturant is amazing. It has a great feel to this resturant. I do highly recommend it. The restaurant is so busy, This must be due to their food, service and atmosphere. Defo going to book another occasion at this place.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
North Warwickshire, England
“Well above average food and polite, attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

A group of 10 of us (all blokes) visited early on a Saturday evening, without a reservation. We were seated within a few minutes and drinks orders were taken while we looked at the menus. Choices of dishes and prices were about the same as most Indian restaurants.

Although we were charged £11 for 10 poppadums and sauces/pickles, the poppadums were very fresh and the lime pickle was excellent, with a good selection of other dips.

Starters were reasonable sized portions and my chicken tikka garlic was moist and very tasty. There were no complaints with any of the other starters either.

When our mains arrived there were some really outstanding dishes and my Lamb Acharee was one of the best I've had anywhere. My only criticism being that the lamb could have done with being in the sauce for longer to take on some of the flavour. I tried a few of the other dishes and there were some great flavours and variety. Most of our curries came from the "Chef's Speciality" section and the dishes that were more run of the mill were the 'standards', such as the Biryani, which was still good but just average.

There was a mixed crowd in there - families, groups of friends, couples - and I would be very happy to go to Akbars again, either with my wife, with a few friends or in a crowd, or with family for a special occasion.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone for a good quality curry with good service in a pleasant restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“excellent meal and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

have just returned from a meal out with my girlfriend and 3 year old boy and i must admit i was slightly apprehensive due to some negative comments on here but i have to say my experience was nothing like stated service was prompt which is a good thing when my litttle boy is siting in the highchair and gets bored easily if left in there too long staff could not of been more helpful or attentive to our needs i had a lamb tawa and nan my partner had chicken tikka pepsila and mushroom rice my son loved his poppadoms and mango sauce cant wait to re visit when back in area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Visted New Year's Eve..awful! waited 45 mins for just a round of drinks to come! when I told the manager we had been waiting over an hour his response was 'that's your word against mine' his attitude was awful and just kept saying that he was busy..I understood that but a simple sorry to keep you waiting would have been nice! We ended up leaving after without even eating..looking round at some of the food that was served up however I'm glad we didn't.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Re: don't order the mixed grill!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I dined here following an intense bhangra dance class, we were keen to try our local Indian restaurant which we only heard good reviews about. To summarise the food was average, we ordered a mixed grill which was stated on the menu for 4 persons but on service appeared for one. We did pass our comments to the head chef who gave us a complimentary tandoori fish masala dish to fill our voided stomaches. The service and atmosphere was good albeit my girlfriend provided most of the entertainment.

• Visited December 2012