“Utter pap” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
oxford
“Utter pap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Awful location, awful food, service was primitive and the price you pay for the pap was laughable. What can one say ? Lost for words how this got any decent reviews..

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Such a lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This place is so wonderful! The food we had was wonderful as was the service, helps that the waiter looks like Jim Bowen! I adore authentic Italian and this place just oozes that authenticity. The restaurant itself looks like nothing too special but the food and service more than makes up for decor!

If you can go mid week they do a great 3 course meal for £13.95 monday to thursday.

Visited March 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Italy on my doorstep”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Following a recent first visit to Italy, San Marco was my restaurant of choice for a special birthday dinner. It is well known in the area for great food and a friendly atmosphere. Every meal in Italy had been excellent and I wondered how San Marco would compare and I'm delighted to say I was not disappointed.

Everyone gets the same warm welcome when they go through the door and many of the diners were clearly regulars - always a good sign. The meal and service were perfection and San Marco remains firmly at the top of my list.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Cold starter, mediocre main and rola cola”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were staying in the area at Arden Forest Spa and chose to dine out for the evening, not being local to the area we checked trip advisor for a well rated Italian and came across San Marco. Rang at half 7 and secured a table for 8.15. This worried me as on a Saturday night we thought that we would struggle to get somewhere to eat at a reasonable time, let alone within 45minutes of a phone call!
We arrived and the only option was to park in a dodgy car park out back, the area did not look safe.

Upon entering the restaurant we waited in the small bar area to chose food and have a drink. My partner Peroni (bonus), me cheap rola cola! Eurgh! The place itself is just a pub with seats, not particulary an Italian ambience.

45 minutes later were seated in time for our starters. My partner had prawn cocktail, I had bruscetta. Mine was one tiny piece and cold, I believe they had forgot to grill it as the cheese wasn't melted. My partners was like a cheap pub prawn cocktail, frozen prawns, bog standard salad.

For mains I had carbonara, this was ok, however the pancetta was chewy and full of gristle. My partner had the steak which was tiny, expensive and like a glorified beef burger, not a good cut at all.

I cannot believe how highly this restauarant is rated, it is overpriced, basic italian home cooking, with nothing fancy, it's certainly not worth the money. We felt this was a waste of £50 for 2 courses, 1 rola cola and a peroni.

It would seem you cannot always trust other peoples reviews, especially as some have far lower standards than others.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
west berkshire
“you will not regret going”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

we were staying Coventry, and wanted to dine out so we just looked up Italian restaurants in the area, read the reviews on Tripadvisor, sounded good, so went ahead booked and went. Found a publc car park just behind the restaurant, the restaurant has a very Italian atmostphere, the food was excellent, the staff was a joy to talk to, so keen to help in advising us on menu items and the best wine to enhance the food, if you are looking for somewhere special to eat in Coventry, at sensible prices, this is a must, will be going back

• Visited November 2011