“Disterested service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Disterested service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

TGI's slogan on it's bill is "only the best service deserves a tip". Our server failed to look at us and gave the impression she had a major appointment elsewhere! Need less to say she got our order wrong. When we tried to explain what we had ordered she said, "show me on the menu what your on about". Touch of class eh? The drinks to a long time to arrive, the food took forever. I think we go back to TGI's just to remind ourselves how poor the service is! I can't think of any other reason!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“(T)otally (G)reat (I)n-theory”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Disappointing indeed!

I have had previously been to this particular branch many moons ago and i was reminded why i had let those moons pass without re-visiting.

We went as part of a family group for a birthday as requested by the birthday girl, i was initially hesitant but wasn't in control as it was her day and her choice.

Overall setting was great and atmosphere for a Monday was excellent, until the greasy menu's were produced!!! This first impression had a negative cognitive effect and i expected things to get a lot worse but i played along trying not to tarnish the mood.

The menu seems to lack lustre and there wasn’t too much choice, but hey, that should be a good thing as it normally means promptness and freshness. I dont normally eat beef but paying £13 + for chicken and mash wasn’t going to happen.

I settled for "The Monster Burger" not only did it sound appealing but i felt it would be the most value for money and a sharing platter of loaded potato skins, half the portion was with bacon and half with mushrooms.

My expectations were high as i was of course hungry, the dishes were presented and looked quite inviting until.......i discovered the beef patty in the burger resembled that of a giant tesco brand horse/beef burger!!! Looks are deceiving i always say so time for the taste tests........what the blog have i just paid for i wondered!

The burger did indeed taste supermarket value and the potato skins were tasteless without the hot sauce, it did actually taste like fingernail skin (so i guess the skin part was fitting), American cheese and crappy bacon and shrivelled tasteless mushrooms!

I proceeded to eat as much as i could and tried to act as sociable as possible to savour much needed time with family but deep inside and secretly i was amazed, astonished and disgusted tgi would consider serving such an atrocity and especially at that price!! Honestly an "M" burger or two from Mcdonalds would have given me more pleasure.

Ultimately not good, apparently steaks were great but its not what i had so can’t comment on it, my vegetarian neighbours mean was equally supermarket quality and i really felt sorry that she had to pay for her dinner; as previous reviews state, unfortunately the vegetarian range is nonexistent so i would urge you to reconsider taking one there.

On a more positive note we were able to get free deserts as part of some birthday incentive emailed to the birthday girl although i was too full from "The supermarket monster burger" to even attempt having desert and our waiter was friendly and helpful.

To conclude, don't have the monster burger and starters are not worth the risk in terms of quality cost ratio.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
halesowen
“Awful TGIF experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

10 adults and 2children visited this venue to celebrate my sons birthday the TGIF website states that they cater for birthdays but booking cannot be done at the Birmingham venue.the website says just tell us when you arrive that it is a birthday celebration.I did but it seemed not to have any affect on service in fact no particular or special attention given.We were shown to two separate tables adjacent to each other and told due to H &S rules that they could not put the tables together.We sat at two tables ordered together but we're served at different times.Food was poor service was extremely slow in fact was possibly the worst experience I have ever had I complained to the management but was told that there was nothing they could do.On the way out I noticed that there were large tables towards the rear of the restaurant!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wolverhampton
“Decent service but uninspiring food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We chose TGIs for a visit with our 2 children, both under 5 as a treat as they had watched the Herbie love bug films over Christmas and noticed Herbie was parked outside.

The last time we went, about 2 years ago, the food was alright but the toilets and slow service were a disgrace. We decided to give it another go.

This time we took along the kids' grandparents, Uncle, aunt and baby cousin.

The service was attentive and relatively fast this time and the toilet facilities were much better. However, the menu is still very poor compared to how it was 10 - 20 years ago when we went more regularly, as a couple or group of friends.

The food, mainly burgers were chosen, were satisfactory but totally overpriced and the fries were anaemic.

We've decided that in future we will visit the nearest OK diner (Cannock) which does more authentic, better executed and interesting American cuisine at a far more reasonable price.

We won't be going back to TGI's.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice service, boring food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went with a group of friends feeling skeptical about their vegetarian range but was pleasantly surprised to find there was quite a few. I ordered loaded potato skins with mushrooms to start. They were tasteless and overcooked, the cheese and mushrooms were not 'loaded' but barely there and the thing exuded oil. I guess they deep fat fry them but they were unpleasant. I ordered a veggie burger for main and again it was tasteless and dry. The cheese on the burger was minimal as was relish, and even though I realise that a bean burger is drier than meat so I can forgive the dryness but the whole thing was bland. The sweet potato fries were nice as were the two beers I had, and the service was quick and friendly. However, it was £25 each for that and I don't think that what I had was worth that amount. I would probably only go back if someone else were to want to go.

• Visited January 2014