“Excellent Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

It was with some trepidation I booked a room here looking at some of the reviews on here - but as I was attending a function next door at the Clarendon Suites this was an ideal location.

We were very pleased with the Hotel and especially the Staff. We had booked an Executive Room which was well worth the money. It was roomy and comfortable. It was hot -(no air con) but fans were quickly provided.

Breakfast was more than adequate with a good selection of cereals, fruit and hot dishes off the buffet. In addition there are a number of dishes available "cooked to order". The Kippers were very small - not worth having but the Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon were excellent. My wife dined in the Restaurant on the evening I was out and found the food excellent.

The Staff were great - friendly and helpful. The GM was very visible and approachable..

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to an Executive as they are all on the outside of this circular building and t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Conference facilities appear good, accompanying food and rooms distinctly average. Rooms are small, and rather stuffy, but fairly clean. Free parking is a plus. The whole hotel seemed to have a problem with consistent heating, either stuffy and hot or freezing air conditioning. I probably wouldn't choose to stay here personally, but as a conference venue I would be ok with staying again.

• Stayed June 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Booked to stay here recently for one night - but upon arrival, found I`d booked the wrong night! the staff couldn't have been more helpful, sorted me a room and transferred payment so all sorted brilliantly and at no cost to me.
enjoyed my stay, room was small but clean and bathroom fine. breakfast really good, so would happily stay again, whether I turned up on the right day or not!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Yarm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel before on business and was very happy with my stay. On my recent visit I stayed 2 nights again on business. The single rooms are very small if you are staying more than One night. In addition there is no air conditioning in the single rooms and if you open the windows it's noisy 24/7. I stayed in room 520 and the matress slopes quite significantly! No issues with parking at the front or in the secure car park, the reception staff are efficient and friendly. There is a basic gym which is available for residents use. The food is quite cheap but also quite basic. There are lots of pubs and restaurants very close to the hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying here for a conference. Rooms grubby and very small. Air con is not integrated and is a big noisy machine plugged into the window (too noisy to sleep with it on). Walls paper thin so you can hear the next door person snoring. Bed has springs poking through. Bathroom dirty (mysterious hairs everywhere). Water lukewarm. Definitely don't stay here unless you have to (like me, unfortunately).

• Stayed June 2013
Strath01, Manager at Menzies Strathallan, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear drnickuk

Thank you for your comments in respect of your stay and I was sorry to read of your disappointment.

We were in contact with the conference organiser who was extremely happy and should you have contacted reception I am sure the issues you raise could have been addressed and resolved.

Air conditioning units are generally individual units rather than integrated systems in older properties where the original build specification did not allow for a central system. This enables guests to adjust the temperature of the room to their own personal liking and please accept my apologies that you found the operating noise too loud, as this type of unit is used by a number of our pier groups.

In respect of the housekeeping matters I assure you your comments have been shared with the housekeeping team and although the size of rooms within the hotel do vary, the hotel generally has an impeccable record in respect of its housekeeping standards and I am sorry this was not brought to our attention so we could have dealt with the matter immediately.

In respect of the mattress I have checked this and albeit there are no springs poking through this is one of the softer mattresses that we have and have an ongoing programme in place of replacing all for a firmer type mattress.

The hotel always has plenty of hot water and feels that perhaps the water needed to be run a little longer.

Please except our sincere apologies for the shortfall in standards during your stay with us.

Kind regards
Kevin Williams
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Strathallan along with a number of relatives whilst in Birmingham for a family wedding. The check in was quick and efficient and throughout my stay the staff were pleasant and helpful. After checking in, I had afternoon tea in the lobby with my mother with scones, clotted cream and jam. The scones were gorgeous and freshly baked, and whilst the consistency of the cream didn't seem thick enough to be clotted, it was nevertheless very nice. I had a single room, which was very small, although for me personally, this was not a problem. The room itself was very clean and tidy, although there was a small chip in the plaster on the ceiling beside the smoke detector. The room was quite stuffy, but it was OK with the windows open, though obviously that means having outside noise, which may bother some people (personally that doesn't bother me). The in-room ironing board in my room didn't fold down when I wanted to iron a shirt for the wedding, but the staff promptly brought me up an ironing board and iron. I also had a problem with my key card a couple of times. On the first occasion, it let me in on the forth or fifth attempt. The second time round, it just wouldn't let me in. Fortunately a maid was close by and let me in. As I was about to check out anyway and was just collecting my bags it wasn't a huge problem. Noise from the corridor was a bit of a problem on the sunday morning as another guest was shouting in the corridor at 7am. The breakfasts are really good quality and have a good choice available. Its definitely worth getting the bed and breakfast options! I should also thank the woman who was manning the bar late on Saturday night (June 15th) for putting up with us when we returned from the wedding and had a few drinks in the hotel bar, as we were in high spirits!
So, a few minor issues, but in general, it was absolutely fine and I would happily stay at the Strathallan in the future.

Room Tip: Some of my relatives were in 'inner' facing rooms and opening windows didn't prevent the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This states that it is a four star but, I believe that this is due to facilities and "boxes ticked" really...

Like another recent review, my company made booking "went missing" upon arriving and I actually had to stand my ground to get a room! They then found my booking....sounds like work required on their booking system required!

The lift (one working, the other not), the corridors and the general overall feelings to the room and bathroom were all somewhat "tired" (to use property speak!). The rooms were however clean as were the sheets and towels - always a bonus!!
There are decent tv channels, coffee making facilities and not just a Corby trousers press but, also inbuilt board and iron. Wow, we are getting serious here now!

Ate dinner (open till 10pm) which was good and no complaints there given the price. Following morning, breakfast was fine too - from fruit to full English (includes two offerings of bacon - nice :)) and a super hot toaster which left a good line burn on my arm...

So, there's also free WiFi across the hotel and a tiny gym too for use. And lots of parking.

Why not a better review score? Well it is a good place for a one or two night business stay but, if I'd been with partner and/or friends, I would have been a bit miffed at the general wear and tear of the place APART from the bar and dining areas which are of a decent modern standard. Also on a busy road so a chance of sme disturbed sleep if on that side of "The Tower"!

For business, maye give it a go. If for only a night as a couple, only if you can get one of their really good deals which they do else be prepared for not the most modern, brightest, largest rooms!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Menzies Strathallan, Birmingham? Share your experiences!