“Excellent summer evening. ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Plancha Spanish Tapas & Cocktail Bar

La Plancha Spanish Tapas & Cocktail Bar
113 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham B13 8DD, England (Moseley and Kings Heath)
+44 (0)121 449 5430/5303
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Stonnall, null, United Kingdom
“Excellent summer evening. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was our first visit and certainly won't be our last. The whole place has a lovely atmosphere and it decorated pleasantly with little pots and knick knacks. We were taken upstairs to our table which we had booked earlier and our drinks order was taken. I had a Singapore Sling which was beautiful and my partner had a beer which hit the spot too. Our food order was taken and the waiter explained that they were quite busy and it may take a while. This wasn't an issue to us as we don't rush our evenings out and we had complementary olives to keep us happy.
The food arrived, slightly staggered but this is expected with Tapas and we had a mix of hot and cold dishes.
The food was beautiful, scallops in garlic butter tender and sweet, chicken in garlic and white wine, aubergine stuffed with tomato and more garlic with salad and bread, a perfect combination. All cooked/prepped to perfection.
The portion sizes are generous but the dishes are for sharing.
The staff were busy but kept the tables tidy and refilled drinks regularly.
We will defiantly go back for more Spanish hospitality !

Birmingham
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Tried to get in many times finally did and wow stunning food we have had a lot of tapas before but this was in a different league Lovley food Lovley staff really enjoyed it 100 percent going back Donna Solihull

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Uncomfortable, good food but why such large dishes if it's tapas?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We asked for a table upstairs because there weren't chairs available downstairs, just benches and pouffes. However, we were squashed into a table for two in a corner which was scarcely more comfortable. As we sat there, looking at menus, a member of staff came along and wiped off half a dozen of them. We had to ask the waiter what the new specials were and he had to go and fetch a piece of paper to find out. He seemed surprised that I asked for a glass and ice with my Kopparberg when he just put the bottle down in front of me.Something that always bothers me about this place is that portions are so large. For tapas I would prefer a number of small dishes, but as it is I can only manage two, which is far from exciting. In a large group you could probably share, but this doesn't work as well with a couple, particularly when one of then doesn't eat meat. The food was actually very good, but strangely, our four dishes and bread were not brought out together. We had to ask what happened to one, which came so late that the others were getting cold.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food.....poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We visited La Plancha for the first time last night. I told the lady at the bar that we had a table booked and we were told that our table was at the back of the room.....we found it ourselves.

We sat and waited. And waited. And waited. No one came up to ask if we wanted a drink. i wasn't sure if we had to go to the bar to order drinks but eventually about 10-15 minutes after arriving, a waitress came and took our drinks order.

Then we waited. And waited. And Waited. No one came near us to ask if we were ready to order food. I wasn't sure (again) if I should go to the bar to order. After about 20 minutes I caught the attention of one of the staff and she asked if we were ready to order (yes!!!!).

The food was excellent and very good value for money so I would definitelly recommend.

As we left we were ignored by the staff.....

Very strange attitude to customer service but would go back for the food.

Birmingham
“Good food. Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have been here 3 times and each time the service has been the only thing lacking. The waiting staff just have really bad attitudes. The service is very slow and actually a bit rude.
When the waiter brought the desert menu out we were warned that the deserts are not home-made. We still decided to order one to share but were then told it would take a long time to come out because a big table had just arrived. I can't understand why given that it obviously comes straight out the fridge!
When the waiter collected our payment he straight out asked if we wanted change! Ie, "are you tipping me or not"!!
Having said this the food is lovely, if on the pricey side. It had a lovely ambience in a great location.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere