“Excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Opus Restaurant

Opus Restaurant
54 Cornwall Street, Birmingham B3 2DE, England (Ladywood)
+44 (0)121 200 2323
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Opus Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 1,593 Restaurants in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: Opus Restaurant, in Birmingham’s business district, is a top spot for a business lunch or a schmoozey dinner. The cavernous dining room is a dramatic open space decorated in muted hues. The team at Opus are proud of their modern British menu which showcases locally sourced free range meats and freshly caught fish. Favourites include the Lyme Bay Scallops with Belly of Pork and the Grilled Lobster served with Chips and Garlic Butter. The glamorous waiting staff are super-friendly, and the renowned in-house patisserie gives you a great excuse to have a naughty limoncello-cheesecake ending to your meal. It would be rude not to.
Cannock
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a lovely meal - food was absolutely delicious and the service was faultless. Room is perhaps a little too large - could do with some visual dividers, probably ok for when it is busy, but the lunchtime we visited it was quite quiet. Telephone ringing really loudly was a little bit of a nuisance. However, otherwise excellent and would recommend. I will go again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Birmingham
“Nice food - service a little slow possibly?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visited Opus last night with a party of four work colleagues. I have eaten here once before some years back as part of a cookery course at Birmingham Uni and remember how nice it was then.
Great welcome upon arrival and a nice table by the window. menus consulted and dishes and wine ordered. The wine was brought promptly which is always nice and after a short while the starters arrived. When we had finished these the plates were taken and then to my mind we waited rather too long for the main course, which when it did come was just fine. The delay between main and pudding wasn’t overly long so I wonder whether a problem in the kitchen was the cause of the delay between starter and main course? Hence 4 stars not 5.
Food was as I say just fine and the service generally was attentive without being overbearing.
The room is quite large and was quite busy so generally a good atmosphere and not the hushed atmosphere one sometimes finds in such establishments.
Three courses for 5 with 4 bottles of wine £350.
Give it a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“looks like a restaurant, feels like a pub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am sorry to be unkind about this place, but we had eaten across the street the day before and the comparison put Opus a bit in the shade.

The staff can not be faulted: very friendly and professional. The room is quite large and was full the Saturday night we were there. It was noisy. I don't know if large parties are the norm in this place, but we had a birthday party to our right and a table of ladies the other side of the room. The "look-at-me, am I having fun now?" hysterical laughter was quite off-putting. Or I'm just a boring old phart.

The food: my oysters were lovely, the bottle of Touraine Sauvignon quite cold and my wife's lobster delicious. My slow-cooked lamb shank was quite tasteless and the consistency of mush. The jus on the plate was exactly the same taste as the too flavour-intense French onion soup. The vegetables were quite ordinary. The recommended glass of claret to accompany the lamb was uninspired.

Trust me, your £140 would be much better spent across the street.

Nice people, though.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
towcester
“great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

this restaurant was recommended to us after we had failed to get into Purnells at short notice and Opus is opposite. the welcome was very warm, we were shown to a good table in the large , bustling , atmospheric restaurant. the maitre d came to see us for wine, he was brilliant, friendly , knowlegable . i started with oysters, superb! then on to braised lamb which was good then the cheeses which were perfectly looked after and delicious. this is not a michelin starred restaurant but in many ways we prefered our experience to Purnells.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A Classy Act”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I went to Opus for an early Valentine's meal as we're busy on Thursday. Our coats were taken and we were seated as soon as we walked through the door. The staff were friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We both ordered a starter and a main, and after some time, a young hostess came to apologise about the delay in our starter - that there had been a problem with the check, and that our next round of drinks was on the house. We were enjoying ourselves, and probably wouldn't have noticed about the delay - but this was a lovely goodwill gesture. My partner had the quail for a starter which was perfectly cooked and full of flavour. I had the French Onion Soup which was piping hot and tasty. Our mains were filet of beef and venison - again, both cooked to perfection and accompanied by a delightful mix of sides. I finished with the sticky toffee pudding served with ice cream and bananas in caramel sauce which was honestly lick-the-bowl-clean delicious if it had been appropriate. The cost of the meal was around £100, but for the standard, presentation, taste and quality it was worth every penny. We'll definitely return and bring friends with us next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere