“The best Indian food in Birmingham” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lasan Restaurant & Bar

Lasan Restaurant & Bar
3-4 Dakota Buildings, James Street, | St Paul's Square, Birmingham B3 1SD, England (Ladywood)
+44 121 212 3664
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lasan Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,602 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: Lasan is synonymous with exquisite cuisine that teases the senses and stirs the soul, delivering the true essence of India in all its glory. Experience how sublime Indian food really can be at Gordon Ramsay's Best Local Restaurant in the UK.
“The best Indian food in Birmingham”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've been twice. Fabulous dishes and great service. The lamb and beetroot is surprisingly good. Well worth a visit

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality and unique taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Excellent food with such unique and quality taste. Portion sizes were just right and range of meal choices good. i particularly enjoyed my lamb meal. Always friendly service too. Recommended.

Visited May 2013
UK
“Elegant Asian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A really nice restaurant with a wide and interesting range of food. I had Beef Oyster for starter and Monkfish for main, whilst my wife had Lamb and Chicken. A nice array of sides, naans and rice. We had a dessert as well, Lemon Possett - Didn't really need it! Good wine that went well with the meals and reasonably priced.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Very nice, offers unique and high quality dishes but portions are a bit small”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Went here for lunch on a Sunday before the May bank holiday. The soft shell crab starter was delicious, even the pre-starter pompadoms and accompanying sauces were very good.

We ordered a main course to share as we had a lot for breakfast, the Dhaniwal beef, which was very good and different from anything I've tried in other Indian restaurants in the UK.

Only negative thing I can say is the portion size was a bit small.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Rude staff, expensive, disappointing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My partner booked a table for her birthday meal, asking for 7.30. She was offered 6.30 or 9.00. The impression given was that the restaurant was very busy, however, the next day we phoned again and got a table for 8.00 - and the restaurant wasn't even half full - they could have easily accommodated us at any time. My partner was keen to have a paneer starter and main course (she is vegetarian). The waiter reacted surprisingly negativity to her order, telling her that both dishes contained paneer, and suggested she have an alternative starter containing lamb. After persisting, she persuaded him to accept her original order! The waiter also advised her (unprompted) that the main course was not very spicy and asked if she would like it a little hotter. She said yes, and ended up receiving a ridiculously hot curry full of whole chillies. It almost seemed like a prank. I also asked for a paneer starter. The waiter stared at me coldly for a few seconds without speaking, then pointed to an alternative item he apparently wanted me to order. I went along with this, not wanting to argue with him, but the experience was weird and unpleasant. If they were running short of an ingredient, why not just say so rather than being so rude? If I'm going to be told what I can have, why bother to give me a menu...? Another waiter was also very abrupt with my partner when she politely asked him to repeat something. The service was generally quite odd - when the main courses were brought, the staff seemed to take an age making repeated pointless small adjustments back and forth with the dishes on the table - please just let us get on with it..! My partner's meal was far too hot (and we eat curry regularly); my meal itself was fair but not great - certainly nowhere near justifying the £70 price when there are many other restaurants in nicer parts of the city which serve much better food (and with better service). I usually don't mind a few minor quirks or flaws in restaurants - but the experience at Lasan left us both feeling ripped off. A very unpleasant experience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere