“Great apartments, not so good parking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Premier Apartments Birmingham

You added Premier Apartments Birmingham to your Saves list
Premier Apartments Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Upper Dean Street | Dean House, Birmingham B5 4SG, England   |
Ranked #37 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Telford, United Kingdom
“Great apartments, not so good parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is the third time I have stayed in Premier Apartments Birmingham, and each time I have never been disappointed.

I stayed this weekend with my partner, we were quiet late arriving to the apartments due to a family gathering (and my partner travelling from Swindon) and I appreciated the receptionist calling to check on us as we were worried we would arrive too late with the reception opening times. I also appreciate the communication I had with Lucy via email regarding my booking (I made an error and she helped me rectify it).

The staff on arrival and check out were also very friendly and helpful and always have been. My first stay was with a friend in 2011, the second with my mother and sister in 2013 and this recent weekend.

The apartments themselves are spacious and usually very clean (we did find a biscuit finger this time behind the draws in the bedroom but its no biggy) and have most utensils you would need to cook and enjoy a comfortable stay.

I think that the security codes and security guard being on site are also big pluses! They really make you feel safe.

The main frustration for us this time is we had a vehicle (which on previous stays I did not) and considering there a fair few apartments on site there is very limited parking spaces (8 I believe) which fill up quickly, This meant the first night we ended up spending £15 to park at the Arcadian car park and one the second night we did get a space at a fair price of £12. The only trouble was the space was tight and we awoke to the car (which had been cleaned the day we came) being covered in what looked like white liquid that could of dripped from above apartments or from something else, we were parked next to the bins. Safe to say, my partner was very annoyed.

A few other things that slightly let the apartments down are: the lack of air con (though there is a portable fan provided which comes in handy) and the doors to all rooms do not prop open which means every time you leave a room it slams behind you. Which probably doesn't bother most people but I was worried I'd damage something and with a £250 deposit taken on arrival I really did not want to!

Overall, I will stay again as each time I have found it to be value for money and more convenient than staying in a hotel but I think next time I'll avoid bringing the car.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay, it's great to read this is your 3rd stay with us and that you will be returning in the future. Lovely feedback on my team and I'm glad they all were helpful and friendly.
Housekeeping have taken your feedback on board and ensuring that behind furniture is checked as it always should be.
We are trying different procedures in the car park now which is ensuring allocated bays are given to each guest who reserves.
All the doors in the apartments are fire doors and this is the reason they close automatically

I'm glad you found the apartments value for money and convenient and that you will return to us in the future, I will forward to welcoming you back.

Claire, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Walsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Staying here in March when going to a concert at the NIA. We were greeted by some really helpful reception staff who sorted our parking space for us. We then checked in & went to our room. It was spacious, clean & had a fabulous roof terrace. I was extremely impressed & will definitely stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay, we are a great base for most of the major events in Birmingham.
Thank you for the great feedback on the team I will ensure they are all aware

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We use this venue a lot as part of my companies business trips when we visit Birmingham and often stay at their alternative sites.

We have a great relationship with their team and they are friendly. There is a lot of space in the room and the living room. Just check to make sure that you have enough kitchen equipment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, Excellent scoring 5/5.
It's great that you also visit our other sites

I hope I can welcome you back soon

Claire Knapton, General Manager
Grayshott, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed here in March 2014 for a week for a business trip. I thought that self-catering would be a good choice and the Premier Apartments was just around the corner of the customer, so the location was excellent.

The value is great, however my apartment felt like it hadn't been touched or cleaned in 20 years. There were unidentifiable stains everywhere - on the walls, the bathroom tiles, the upholstery and burn marks on the table and kitchen. The kitchen utensils had thick marks of grease, the fridge was stained and the overall smell reminded me of an Asian restaurant. I am not a picky person, but I really didn't want to touch anything and the constant smell of food that might have been cooked here previously was nauseating. This place could be a gem, if it would be maintained and little updated. Decor and furnishings were okay, but a little dated and might be reaching end of life.

My room was towards a truck packing zone on the back and for some people this might be off putting as there is truck loading/unloading all night, however it didn't bother me, as I do like some background noises. For self-caterers, there is a Spar convenient store just next door and a Tesco just down the road.

The location, while very convenient and central, is not the best. I could smell pot during my entire visit once you step out on the street.

Staff was friendly, professional and courteous.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I wondered on my evening return to the rooms why my bed was unmade and my used tea cups were not replaced. I asked and was told 'you only get your room serviced if you stay for 7 days or more'. So much for 'serviced' then.
The apartments should surely better be described as 'student accomodation': there is a claustrophobic bedroom, a kitchenette with a genuine antique hob and a living room. The loo has no natural daylight, the pan was loose and an extractor fan that sounds like Concorde taxiing for take-off.
The whole fabric of the room says 'cheap & nasty'; the laminate flooring is cheap quality and the joins are blown, so too the kitchen worktop. If you like bland white walls everywhere you'll be in your element. The TV - well this is the first time for a long time I've seen a cathode ray tube TV outside of a museum and with volume that's a whisper. Air conditioning? - open a window (ignore the noise & fumes). I could not find a solid internal wall, all seem to be timber frame and all act like a sound-box, such that when someone at the end of the corridor slams a door, the noise travels through your headboard.
The apartments are located in a scenic part of town with the meat and fish market conveniently downwind over the road, and boasting panoramic views of the Travel Lodge to the side. At the rear is the rubbish skip area for the other market stalls in the area. You are totally overlooked by dozens of Travel Lodge rooms - and there are no net curtains on the patio doors - please try not to frighten the neighbours. My rioom on the first floor was above the karaoke bar, and the roof area outside my patio doors was strewn with cigarette ends. Quite disgusting.
The room rate for tonight (7th April 2014) is £77. I question an early reviewer whether this represents better value than a hotel, where you don't have to wander the streets looking for a greasy grill breakfast joint, where your bed is made every day and where service usually means 'proper' service. There are better. Ask any student.

Room Tip: To get a good room: ask not to be put at the front (main road and markets), don't get a room on...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Premier Apartments Birmingham, I’m sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us, as discussed on departure we offer limited service and would not enter your apartment unless asked as once checked in one of the great selling points of apartments is the privacy of the guest and the home form home experience.

We have a rolling Maintenance programme in place and are pro-active in replacing items when needed, we are in the process of having a coloured wall in the bedrooms to veer away from all white walls, however the white walls are easy to maintain when a freshen up is needed.

Once again I’m sorry to read you did not like the concept of serviced apartments.

Claire Knapton
Cardigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

When visiting a city for a break we have started staying in serviced apartments as opposed to hotels. They are far more spacious, comfortable and enable you to get up & go to bed when you want without having to worry about missing breakfast or being woken by the maid. If you don't fancy going out then you can order a takeway.
We stayed in the Premier Apartments in Bristol last summer and they were brilliant so when we decided on a city break to Birmingham they were an obvious choice.
The Bristol apartments were quite upmarket but this is not really the case with the Birmingham ones. To start with although near the Bull Ring they are actually surrounded on three sides by the market areas so some of the views from the windows were of skips and the like. On the plus side Dean Street is on the very edge of the Chinese district with all the restaurants and there is a Spar next door so you can stock up on chocolate, beer & crisps!!
We managed to get one of the reserved parking spaces and this was really convienient.
As previous reviewers have mentioned the apartments could do with a little TLC; our sofa had seen better days and the bed had a roll togther mattress.
Staff were really friendly though and could'nt do enough and the flat was spotless

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us, we are in a prime location with all you need in walking distance, the markets are due to relocate and from what we can see of the plans for the area this will put us in the ideal location of Birmingham.
We do have a rolling maintenance plan in place and replacement program which is on-going.
Thank you for the lovely feedback on the team i will ensure they are all aware of your feedback.

I hope I can welcome you back in the future

Claire, GM
limerick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Premier Apartments have a great location in Birmingham City. Having checked them out on trip advisor, i followed the room tip to ask for a quiet apartment, located away from the Market. To ensure my request would be met, i telephoned 3 days prior to our check in date. I explained to Lucy that we were working long hours for the week in Birmingham for a week and rest was absolutely necessary. I also advised we would be checking in at 6pm which we did.
Our apartment was spacious, and comfortable but shabby. Cigarette burns was noted on the coffee table even tho it was supposed to be a non smoking apartment. The apartment overlooked a loading area which appeared very calm at night. However to our horror, this was the loading bay for the market, and the garbage collection area for the market. From 3am, activity started, loading, unloading, trucks coming and going, people shouting orders and directions. We hoped this would be for only one morning but it continued all week. As we away each day at the NEC from 8am-7pm, we were too exhausted to complain and move all our gear.
I was very disappointed. We had requested a quiet apartment in writing, and by phone, and advised Lucy of our check in time. When we did complain to reception, they made the excuse, that we checked in late. Premier Apartments were informed of our request and arrival time.
What would it take to have this request attended to ?

Room Tip: Request a quiet room in writing, and by repeated telephone calls prior to check in. If your apartmen...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, I'm sorry to read your requests were not met, I know I spoke with you on departure and apologised that you were not allocated a non-market side apartment.
As discussed I have made notes on your profile to ensure this will not happen again, please ensure you e-mail me directly from the details on my card with your dates and requests and I will ensure these are met.

once again my sincere apologises, I hope I can welcome you back in the future.

Claire, General Manager

Been to Premier Apartments Birmingham? Share your experiences!