“A homely stay in the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Premier Apartments Birmingham

You added Premier Apartments Birmingham to your Saves list
Premier Apartments Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Upper Dean Street | Dean House, Birmingham B5 4SG, England   |
Ranked #37 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A homely stay in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Next to the food and rag market and 5 minutes walk from New Street train station. To get there from the train station head towards the Bullring shopping centre and from Smallbrook Queensway look for Debenhams. To the right of Debenhams there’s a stairway and lift leading down to the street below. Turn left to walk past the food hall and turn right at the end of the building. You’ll see the Café Soya and the entrance to the apartments is just to the left of the café. Lots of eateries nearby. the Café Soya next door does really nice take-out boxes of Chinese food for £5. there's also a Spar on the other side for doing a quick shop.
I’d stayed at a budget hotel recently in Birmingham and it was good value but paper-thin walls so I didn’t sleep too well. A friend had suggested trying an apartment as I was staying for three nights, so I booked to stay here. I requested a room away from the market (as reviews had said it was noisy early in the morning) and a non-smoking room.
It was easy to find from the train station and when I checked in the Receptionist said that my room was away from the market but unfortunately was a smoking room as they were full. She’d asked the cleaners to air it all day and told me to let her know if I wanted to change rooms the next day.
The lounge had a full size settee and there was a small dining table and a kitchen that included fridge, freezer, toaster, mike and washing machine. With instructions for everything. There’s also a good size tv and a cd player. The French doors were a lovely bonus. There’s also a small tea and coffee supply with individual milk sachets as you’d get in a normal hotel room. Separate bedroom with a double wardrobe with a safe in it. The label on the safe says they’ll charge you £1 a day. The rooms are only serviced after 7 days, so you don’t get your bed made every day, but I prefer that. There’s a refuse chute at the end of the corridor if you want to get rid of any rubbish.
It is noisy at night if you have the windows open (traffic and people), but then you are in the city centre. As there’s no air con, I found that if I put the electric fan on at least it covered the external noise.
Overall it was so much nicer than just a hotel room and the staff were all pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you preferred it to a hotel. Thank you for the great information you have included as this will help future guests visiting us.

Thanks again for the great review and I look forward in welcoming you back in the future

Claire, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was at the NEC for a 3 day show in march. got a fair deal for 3 nights stay.
Excellent staff and very welcoming atmosphere. Well furnished and no problems.
A premier location right in the Bull Ring area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us here in Birmingham, thank you for the lovely comments on my team I will ensure they are all made aware of your feedback.

I hope I can welcome you back in the future

Kindest Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 weeks during Feb 2013. The apartments were clean,warm, very spacious, furniture did look slightly tired though, and the bed was on wheels so moved slightly everytime you got into it, but those were the only minor issues I had with it.

Location was ideal, behind the bullring, a 5 minute walk from New Street and 2 minutes from the Arcadian centre, so plenty of restaurants around if you didn't fancy cooking. Receptionists were also friendly and helpful. I had an issue with my credit card being charged twice, but this was promptly refunded as soon as I let them know what had happened.

Would stay here again, for the service/space you got, it was very good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay, I'm sorry your card was charged twice but pleased it was rectified immediately.

It's lovely to read you enjoyed the space and the location and that you will return in the future

Claire
Granada, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here this year. The apartments are excellent value, clean and bright, and in spite of very cold unseasonal weather, were warm and cosy. The location couldn't be bettered; right next to the Birmingham rag market and about 2 minutes from the Bull Ring with all the main shops and several restaurants. The staff are friendly and helpful. Good double glazing as well to keep out the noise.

My only gripes were the lack of cooking equipment, limited to two pans. But not a big issue given the number of cheap restaurants in nearby Chinatown, plus the good value Soy Cafe next door. The internet is expensive at 25 Pounds for the week, but unusually for British hotels it was a high speed link that worked properly and I don't mind paying for quality.

I'll certainly stay here again when we return to Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review, I will ensure my staff are aware of your lovely comments, I'm sorry you only had 2 saucepans I will ensure a full inventory is carried out and items are replaced when needed.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was an ideal central location for accessing all shops and restaurants situated right behind the Bullring shopping centre. Reception staff couldnt have been more helpful and polite. The apartment itself was bright and well equipped with all kitchen equipment needed to cook a meal. I was pleasantly surprised to find a hair dryer in the bedside table. A safe inside the wardrobe, at no extra cost meant that leaving laptops, ipads etc was not a problem. The lounge consisted of a very comfortable settee and armchair alongside a large coffee table and a top of the range samsung tv. A spar shop next door meant we didnt have to go miles out of our way for any basic supplies. On a very cold weekend in february the apartment was lovely warm and cosy. The only downside for us was no tv in the bedroom although there was a tv socket. i would suggest that if you want a birds eye view of the city you need to book a top floor apartment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay, It's lovely to read you enjoyed your time with us, we are in a great location for all the main amenities close at hand.
thank you again for a great review.

newcastle upon tyne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I cannot fault the service at these apartments- the ladies on the desk were charming and helpful. The apartment itself, though tired and a bit shabby was very comfortable and well equipped.
Sadly, though I had specifically requested a non smoking apartment, this was not honoured. I arrived to drop my things to an apartment smelling strongly of air freshner. By the time I returned from work that evening, the apartment reeked of cigarettes.
As the apartments were fully booked, I could not be offered a change of room. An odour sucker-outer machine (?!) sadly made not a jot of difference.
I find it amazing that it's possible to put someone in a smoking room unless specifically requested.
Sadly, though I visit Birmingham regularly for work, I would not stay here again. The smell was overpowering and deeply unpleasant.

• Stayed March 2013
GMBirmingham, General Manager at Premier Apartments Birmingham, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for completing a review on your recent stay, I'm sorry you were allocated a smoking apartment; unfortunately we were fully booked and did have to use all the apartments. I am in the process of changing another floor to non-smoking which hopefully will address the problem of not having to use smoking apartments for non-smokers.
Thank you for your lovely comment on my team I will ensure the team are aware of your feedback, I do have corporate guests who use us week in week out and proves to be a good base when working here in Birmingham, I do hope you will give me the chance to welcome you back in the near future and to show you the true picture of Premier Apartments Birmingham.

Claire, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I decided to book an apartment to treat myself after a 7 weeks of backpacking Europe. I arrived at the apartment and had to wait a very long time to be checked in.
Once I got in the apartment I found there was no hot water. I spoke to the receptionist who said she would come up and check.
After an hour had gone by she was nowhere to be seen. When she finally came up she told me she would send for a plumber. So I went to the shops expecting to have running water on my return. Nothing! and the receptionist had left for the day!!! Then the next day I tried to call a taxi from the phone and it didn't work!! as it was a public holiday and there were no inhouse staff at the apartment I was stuck running around the town trying to find a taxi.
Most stressful experience I should have stuck with the hostels!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for completing your review, I can see you stayed with us in April 2012, I'm sorry you had problems with your hot water and that the problem was not resolved, we do provide an emergency number for when the office is closed, although you stayed over Easter we are still open each day Bank holidays being limited hours however still open 10 - 6.
Once again sorry for the inconvenience caused

Claire, General Manager

Been to Premier Apartments Birmingham? Share your experiences!