“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Holloway Circus | Queensway, Birmingham B1 1BT, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #68 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Telford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We chose this hotel based on reviews, a spa facility and location. Arrived at our room and my initial thought was how stained the carpets are. When I sat down to untie my shoe laces and kick off my shoes, I noted long blond hairs on the carpet; a second looked revealed multiple types of human hairs and what looked like dogs hairs everywhere. I decided to have a cup of tea, only to find that the only tea provided was Earl Grey. Whilst on the subject of complimentary items: Why only one hot chocolate in a double room? Also, at the level of hotel the Raddison Group pitches itself, I would expect at least one complimentary bottle of water on arrival. The concerns regarding Housekeeping standards were not improved when I found an old toiletries bottle cap in the shower rack. On a positive note, the issues were sorted whilst we went for a walk around the local area.
Raddison management might say the fact we checked in early (by one hour) meant the room was not to standard, but we were offered a choice of 3 rooms , and they should not have been released if Houskeeping had not completed them.
As we were going to see Thriller (separate review) we decided to eat out early (Del Villaggio - separate review). The location is good for walking to most amenities, so this was a positive.
Breakfast on the first morning was a mixed bag, and confirmed that our decision to eat out was correct. Nice fruit and cold buffet. However, whilst the hot buffet looked nice, it was lukewarm; this issue was not helped by cold plates. The first plate presenter was empty, leaving some people looking for plates and others stretching to the rear plate presenter which obviously did not have its heating element turned on. The lids for these pieces of equipment had splashes of something on them. Again, at the level Raddison pitches itself, these issues should not feature. Good kitchen procedures would use smaller batch-cooking, ensure food probing maintained servery food temperature and ensure all equipment was clean. The plate presenters still had the same splashes on them the following day.
After visiting Christmas Market we decided to check out the spa. This hotel is advertised as a Spa Hotel but actually only has a sauna and showers, which are operated under separate management and is charged as an extra; a point that is not clear on the website, as the gym is inclusive. I have given the Pool rating Terrible because there is not a pool in a Spa hotel.
Based on the poor showing at breakfast we also ate out on the second night, and due to the heavy storms stayed close using the Royal Bengal across the road (separate review).
I raised my all of my concerns with reception on the first afternoon and got what I would describe as a neutral response: "you need to raise breakfast concern with the dining room staff", "I will look at the website wording", "I will raise your concerns with housekeeping". All direct quotes.
Sleep quality was okay, albeit the bed was too soft for my liking. We were on the 15th floor and the building does creak in high winds, it is like being on a small cabin cruiser. Some may find this disconcerting, as divers we found it quite calming.
Breakfast on the second day was an improvement, slightly warmer and hot plates. I am not sure if this was chance, my complaint or the fact that a Minor Celebrity and his camera toting sidekick were using the facility and filming.
Anecdote:
Minor Celeb to Sidekick: "Would you like another cup of coffee darling"
Sidekick: "Yes, that would be lovely"
Minor Celeb: "Get me one as well then"
What a gentleman.
Overall, I feel the standard provided was well below what it should have been and it was disappointing .

Room Tip: High rooms get views across the city (we were on the 15th floor). The odd numbers face across town g...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Halesowen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great night in the Radisson Blu. Great location to access any part of Birmingham ! Got the train to centre & easy access to the hotel from train. Hotel was classy & well presented. Room was gorgeous & fantastic views of the city ! staff were helpful ! Thanks

Room Tip: Room was quiet & high up.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed the night for a friend's hen night. Bride's room upgrade, complimentary drinks and staff very helpful and genuine. Manager could not be more pleasant and the hotel was spotless. Great view and hotel organised taxis for all members of party. Another hen night coming this year and no surprises where we will be stopping.

• Stayed June 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu, Birmingham twice this year and will be again next weekend. I find that it is an ideal place to stay, a small walk from Birmingham New Street station and the city centre.

I found the reception staff very friendly and are quick to check me in as that is always one of my pet peeves with hotels. The hotel lobby is smart and clean and so were the corridors to my room. My rooms were perfect, clean and decorated well. My bed was very comfortable. I had use of a Nespresso Coffee maker as well as the normal tea / coffee making facilities and free Wifi. The bathroom was large with plenty of towels and complimentary bathroom products.

Breakfast was excellent, large range of hot and cold options and the staff are again very welcoming and friendly. Getting a taxi is easy from the hotel and there are shops nearby should you forget anything.

Definitely recommend this hotel for a city break as everything you need is on your doorstep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Algorfa, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated for a city break. 2 minutes walk to the center but very peaceful and quiet. The facilities are excellent and the staff could not do enough for us. The room was large, clean and the bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in away from home. We stayed on the 16th floor and the views were fantastic, I would highly recommend staying this Hotel for any trip to the City.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor for a fantastic view, especially at night !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I've stayed in a few radisson blu's now and always seem to leave with a good experience. The Birmingham hotel has quite a reputation as the building itself is quite a well known landmark in Birmingham now, with its tall modern blue style towering over the other buildings.

I stayed with my partner for one night, whilst in the City to see a theatre show at the Hippodrome.

I think got a special deal on the room which was about £59 - which I think was extremely good.

Check-in was seamless and welcoming. The hotel decor is stylish and modern and very clean and smart. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, a very nice area to stay in. I think we were on the 17th floor (yes very high, so not for those with a fear of heights!) but was great to look over the Birmingham skyline.

We had a very enjoyable stay and for the location, price and service you can't go wrong. If you're looking for a city centre hotel - choose this one. I would highly recommend and return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Radission is ok. We got a decent deal which was nice.

The rooms are good and the beds are really comfortable. The communal areas look nice and it is easy to get a taxi.

On the down side our check in took a long time. We were dealt with by a trainee and I understand that they need to learn but someone should have stepped in when it took over 15 minutes to book in to 2 rooms that we had prepaid.

We had large disabled showers in our rooms but no baths. The showers were fine but basic - they were clean though.

The toiletries were cheap but the towels and linen are decent.

In short if you can get a good deal this is nicer than a travel lodge or holiday inn but it is not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham? Share your experiences!