“Booking with children - beware” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Holloway Circus | Queensway, Birmingham B1 1BT, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #68 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Booking with children - beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I booked this hotel for one night for myself, husband and 7 year old. Having stayed in hotels all over the world, I mistakenly assumed that booking for a family there would be a pull-out bed in the room for the child.

When we arrived in our room, we were surprised to find only 1 bed. When I called down to reception I was told a second bed would have to be pre-booked and was an additional £15 on top of the £149 I was already paying (apparently this is a discount, it usually costs £30). I was shocked, as the £149 was not worth the money, but to pay extra for another bed was unbelievable. While I cannot fault the staff, they were very helpful and did send up a bed, we won’t be staying there again and have already cancelled next month’s reservation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear GillyHC,
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor, your feedback is important to us.
We are very grateful on your positive comments about our staff, which I happily share with them, thank you!

This time of the year the demand is increadibly high in Birmingham which drives the rate, I would like to inform you on our website you can find attractive deals when booking in advance. All our rooms (with the exception of the suites) are set up for 2 people and so are the rates, children are free when sharing the same bed, in case an extra bed is required there is a surchrage.

We are very sorry to hear that you have cancelled your room for next month. In case you change your mind please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first

Nice size bathroom

Bad points

Furniture was well worn
Pillows were too soft
No double glazing resulting in noise from the street below even on the 11th floor.
Breakfast was a dissapointment, streaky bacon in a four star hotel
No shower curtain resulting in a very wet bathroom after a shower

I wouldn't pay the over £100 a night this hotel usually is. We've stayed in the Radisson Blu in Bristol and much prefer it, being more modern.

Tho if the price is right I would return, after checking the prices of other hotels near.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karl100100,

Your possitive feedback will be shared with the team and I can ensure you this is always a great motivator.

I'm sorry to hear that your stay was not entirely satisfactory, we are undergoing soft refurbishment between December and February and I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us soon after to experience the difference.
Our Super brekafast is very well liked by many of our guests especially because of the variety and quality, however I will address your comments about the bacon to the chef.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay, yes the rooms are a bit 1970's but very clean and everything you need. Every question I asked about the local area was answered and marked on a map, for the first time in years the requested papers came as requested and first thing in the morning.
Breakfast in the restaurant were very efficient and helpful everything we asked for including poached eggs and omlettes came right and by return, all the dishes in the buffet were kept full

Great location 5 mins walk from station 5 mins to shopping centre and 5 mins walk to the mailbox where we had 2 great meals one at Red Peppers and 1 at Cote Braserie

Room Tip: Suspect higher floors are better
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TheBums,
Many thanks for your very nice and complimentary review on Tripadvisor, I will share your positive feedback with our staff and I'm looking forward welcoming you back soon.
Please do not hesiate to make your booking with us directly on 0121 6546000.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visited this hotel while attending a training event in a nearby office and from a location perspective it was ideal - near the station, other transport links, offices and every amenity required.

In my head I compare everything to a Premier Inn and to be honest - it is effectively it is the same except overpriced. Yes the windows are great and yes it has access to a gym but I would much rather have a reliable WiFi connection, a duvet and pillow that doesn't make a lot of noise every time I move and a television that responds when you press the buttons on either the television or the remote with at least the freeview channels available.

Breakfast was good enough with lovely croissants and the gym was adequate enough for a good cycle but I left feeling more tired than when I went in to check-in and already wanting to get back to my own bed!

I would tend to agree with the other comments that a refresh is required - from the significant amount of wood panelling to the quality of the carpets... just not that great.

My advice: By all means use this place as a base for one night but consider alternatives if you can should you be using this for any longer!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Tashafanclub,
Many thanks for your recent review, we really appreciate your feedback, it will help us improving both product and service.
We are very sorry to hear that your staff was not satisfactory, we are undergoing a soft refurbishment to address some of the isues you have addressed.
Our engineering team is on the case with regards to the remote controls in the hotel, in some of the case it was because of the batteries in some other cases the remote itself, many thanks for letting us know.

Our hotel prides itself with superfast WIFI (100meg) and I will have therefore to look into thereason why the speed was not high enough as it should be sufficient.

I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the Birmingham area again.
Kind Regards
Shanklin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

a four star hotel it is not, a three star at best . The hotel is very tired and needs a good make over. the good bits breakfast good staff very good . i will not stay in this hotel again when there are better three star hotels in the area what a pity it lets the radisson name down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Philip W,
Many thanks for your opinion on Tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback.
As you have pointed out in your review the hotel will require a refurbishment, I am happy to inform you taht the works start mid -December and will be completed in February.
We do hope you will stay with us again.
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Breakfast here has everything you could want and all served hot and very fresh.
However, the rooms are tired, stained carpets, torn duvet cover, worn furniture. No curtains, just fine voile which doesn't keep out the light, very strange for a hotel I thought. Very soft mattress and pillows. Mini bar had not been replenished from previous guests.
Staff were friendly and it's right in the city centre. The downside being that you get a lot of noise from the clubs and police sirens on a Friday and Saturday night, even on the 14th floor.
I wouldn't stay here again. I'd stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and would return there again instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bobby911,
Many thanks for your feedback, with your comments we can improve both product and service.
I have followed up personally all comments you have made.

In the particular room you stayed were curtains but they were pushed too far to the sides behind the fine voile, we make now sure that the curtains are clearly visible.
The minibars are not fully stocked anymore as in the past, we have amended the offereing based on customer demands, apologies that this gave the wrong impression.

Weekend is very noisy outside the hotel as we are city centre based, I can recommend to book a room at the back of the hotel where noise levels are signifcantly lower.
Please do not hesiate to contact me directly in case you wish to stay with us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I'm writing this review not as a complaint but just as a statement of the facts. I am a business traveler with a choice about where to stay - within a budget - and have often found Radisson Blu hotels to be good value. I'm sorry to say that the Birmingham hotel is way below the standards advertised and expected. As always it's a balanced story. The good points were the very friendly and efficient reception staff, who even managed to check me in early with a smile. And the bathroom was clean and spacious. On the downside, the hotel overall is very worn around the edges and my room in particular was terrible. I didn't request a room change because I was pretty sure all of them are as bad. I have uploaded some photos showing (1) a huge stain on the carpet (2) the broken lamp shades on both sides of the bed, which were torn and dented, and (3) a badly worn and stained seating area. Check into a new, budget hotel chain and you'll find something very bland but generally immaculate. Check in to this Radisson which still charges 4 star business rates and you'll be dismayed by how grubby it is. I'll be staying elsewhere in Birmingham until I hear that the entire hotel has been put right. I'm sure the management are crying our to improve things!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Snowster007,
I would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor I can ensure you that all feedback has been taken extremely serious and will be followed up.
We apologies for the stains in the carpet, we start the replacement of these carpets mid december and continue with a further soft refurbishment late January for the exact reason you have highlighted.
I am very pleased to read that you were welcomed in the hotel with a smile and assited to the the required level, we spend a lot of time on staff training and together with the refurbishment I sincerely hope we can welcome you back.
Kind Regards,

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham? Share your experiences!