“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Holloway Circus | Queensway, Birmingham B1 1BT, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as I was attending a work conference in Birmingham. The hotel was easily accessible from Birmingham New Street station. Check in was quick and hotel staff were polite.

The hotel is housed in a 39 storey glass skyscraper. You get a great view of the city from your room window. Some of the windows were decorated with blue "zebra stripes". I stayed in a standard double room on the 9th floor, which was large, clean and modern. There is very little interior hotel noise as it is well sound proofed. You therefore won't be disturbed by the sound of the nearby lifts or other guests, and can get a good nights sleep.

When I first accessed my room it took me a while to work out how to get the lights to turn on- just needed to put my key card into a wall slot.

Lots of coffee and tea packets and little milk cartons were available with a kettle. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, body lotion and a shower cap were supplied in the bathroom. An iron, hair dryer, pen and note pad were also provided.

Breakfast was standard English. This was a good hotel. Wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

Very pleased to read that we lived up to your expectations and even more pleased to read that you would like to stay with us again - We would be delighted to have you!

Until then....enjoy the rest of your week.

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A great hotel that we were lucky enough to book using converted Amex Points. We stayed on the 15th floor and had a great view of some of the quirky buildings in Birmingham.

Fantastic location that is 5/10 minutes walk from the train station and 10 minutes walk to town.

We were disappointed that the Spa is more for treatments (with no pool or steam rooms, etc) but that was down to our own assumptions of what would be on offer.

The room was a little tatty round the corners but nothing that detracted from the stay (although the mixer shower was useless!).

The bar was very somber and we decided not to use it very much. A poorly lit arty space with odd music (I must be getting old - very trendy I'm sure!).

The best part of the stay was the breakfast that was probably the best hotel buffet breakfast I have ever had!

If you are looking for a hotel to explore Birmingham from (especially if you arrive by rail), you probably couldn't do better than this.

The 5AM fire alarm on the Sunday was not a welcome event - especially walking down from the 15th floor - but these things happen!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and you appreciated the great views of our City, maybe next time stay on the 18th floor for the ultimate view!

We are extemely proud of our breakfast buffet offering and we were delighted that you enjoyed it, thank you for rating it so highly.

Thank you for your understanding regarding the fire alarm, fortunately this is not a regular occurrence and we appreciate your co-operation.

We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Birmingham.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here while attending a charity ball in the area, we had a lovely room, very large and at the end of the hall so quiet. The room was clean, well equipped and had a very comfy bed. Only ate breakfast here but it was very nice, plenty of choice. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Very happy to see you enjoyed all aspects of your experience with us and trust this means we will be seeing more of you when your travels bring you to Birmingham in future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The hotel was lovely and we had a great view from the hotel room. The staff were very friendly and it didn't cost alot for the weekend. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. We didn;t same the restaurant food as we had another restaurant already booked.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

We were really pleased to read that you had a pleasant experience and hope that next time you stay you get the opportunity to dine in our Filini restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon!

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for business trip (event held in same hotel). Check in efficient. Room was okay (showing wear and tear). Best part of old dark bathroom was the heated floors! Good amenities in the room (terrific selection of teas, hot choc and coffee), lots of hanging space and lighting options. Room service quick, very well priced but average quality. Terrific location : 5 min wlk from New Street train station, 5min walk to Bull street shopping center, various convenience shops nearby. Seminar facilities very professional. Breakfast buffet had a good selection of hot and cold food. Overall a satisfactory stay for business trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

Delightful to read your feedback and very pleasing to see you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - the Meeting & Events team were particularly happy to read your comments about their professionalism during your business meeting with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a great location very close to New Street station, the Bull Ring and city centre bars and restaurants. Situated on Holloway Circus it is close to traffic but in the room I was in this wasn't a problem.
A very tall building you could certainly get high enough not to notice traffic noise. I can't comment on parking as I arrived by train only a hundred yard walk away.

The reception is well appointed and plush in a modern style with two reception desks. I checked in around 5pm and was efficient and friendly. My room was fairly typical of a modern chain hotel but more up market furnishings than a Premier Lodge or Travelodge. I read of rooms with wall to ceiling windows and great views but I had a small window looking at a brick wall about six feet away.
This was no problem for me and I'm sure I could have asked for a different room if I'd wanted.

The bar is directly off the reception in the same wood, glass and marble style with very low light levels, quite dark actually. Three unmarked beer taps means you have to ask what's available and two were big brand lager.

Unusually I had breakfast and was glad I did. A buffet breakfast with the usual cereals, pastries and fruit and juices along with cold meats and cheese for continental style plus a large range of cooked items.
The bacon was well cooked, there was a choice of pork and beef sausages which seemed to be sourced from a proper butcher along with hash browns beans etc.
I'm a fan of scrambled eggs and was disappointed to see a dish of rubbery looking eggs sitting only to be pleasantly surprised as a chef whisked them away and replaced them with freshly cooked, just set scrambled eggs to t top notch standard. Best breakfast in a major hotel yet.

Cost was £83 bed and breakfast which is higher than I'm used to paying but if you can get a better rate this hotel is well worth trying.

The location just squeezes this into a very good for me, if I could award three and a half stars this would be more accurate.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review of our hotel further to your recent stay.

Overall I'm very pleased that we provided you with a pleasant experience and that you really enjoyed your breakfast - our chef puts a lot of time and effort into providing a great breakfast for our guests, something he is very proud of, he was very pleased to read your review so thank you once again.

We have a very small number of rooms that overlook the adjacent building, but you are correct we would have moved you if other rooms were available.

We hope that you return to us soon but next time on check-in please don't hesitate to request a room with a view and the team will be delighted to assist you - the views are worth it I assure you.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu the night a business conference at the Crown Plaza. Last year I made the mistake of booking a budget hotel which was so pokey that I resented paying even the budget price. I found a room in the Radisson for £78 on Trivago for bed and breakfast.

Upon arrival I parked in the NCP car park behind the hotel for which you get a discounted rate of £14 rather than £24 for 24 hours. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and put me into a room on the 9th floor. The room was very impressive with floor to ceiling windows and so a good view over central Birmingham. The room was spacious and nicely decorated with bright coloured features. The mini bar had alcoholic and soft drinks in and various nibbles (not free though of course). Complimentary drinks tray with full size mugs - I hate when you get those tiny little cups that you can't even hold properly with your finger through the handle! Nice clean bathroom with toiletries. I noticed that there was no English tea - this must have been an oversight as there was coffee, decaf coffee, earl grey, hot chocolate but no normal tea, so I called into reception and housekeeping popped along to the room within a couple of minutes with a handful of English tea. I think she must have ran!

I nipped up to the gym on the 18th floor, it is a very small gym with just a handful of cardio equipment and a basic weights machine, no free weights or anything. But it is free to use and was empty when I arrived at 5pm, so no struggle to get on what I wanted!

I ate in the hotel restaurant which was lovely, I chose from the set menu which was £16.95 for two courses, very good value and the food was very nice. Nice atmosphere and good service too. Similarly breakfast was really good, full English buffet style with the options of toast or cereal etc.

I slept very well, nice comfortable bed and I didn't hear a thing from other rooms, I could have been the only guest it was so quiet!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, I would see it perfectly acceptable for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
A delight to read your great review of our hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - we hope that this means we will be seeing you a lot more in future.

Until then, have a great weekend and start to your new week ahead.

Director of Operations

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham? Share your experiences!