“So close but yet so far from the 5 star rating...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Holloway Circus | Queensway, Birmingham B1 1BT, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
Swords, Ireland
“So close but yet so far from the 5 star rating...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here two nights with my mother and 7 year old nephew 4th to 6th of July.

Radisson Blu hotels are in my experience synonymous with great quality hotels but unfortunately the Birmingham one is not quite in that bracket.

The staff and front desk manager are very friendly and will do whatever they can to address your concerns - but senior management at this hotel seriously need to read all the below reviews and take notice.

Lets start with the positive bits:

Had us booked into Business Class room and as a Gold Elite member got upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the 11th floor which was very spacious.

Location is great - short walk from New Street, near the Bullring shopping center and the Mailbox (with access to the canals).

Definitely try the spa on the 18th floor! Great staff and great prices.

Now for the reasons the rating falls:

- Air conditioning does not work at all on days where the temperature goes over 20c. Room was seriously overheated. Got floor fans which helped somewhat but the noise of these almost cancelled out the benefit. Response from staff was that when it gets warm outside the air conditioning can't cope. (!). For a 4 star hotel that even advertises air conditioning as a feature on their site I'd expect to be able to set the thermostat to a level that is comfortable. According to the front desk manager Birmingham rarely get temperatures over 20c in the summer which I thought sounded very dubious. Although he sorted us out at the end of the stay I would have much rather preferred to have slept properly two night (and would have left my rating at 4 rather than 3).

- As mentioned in countless posts here rooms are not well maintained. In our room there was a big piece of plaster missing near the door to the bedroom and the wallpaper looked like it was threatening to fall off at any moment (due to the heat in the room??)

- It wasn't possible to charge spa treatments to your room which means loss of many thousand Club Carlson points :(

Room Tip: If you're staying on a warm day/night ask for rooms with the least sun exposure
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Many thanks for posting your review of our hotel.

Rest assured we take guest feedback very seriously as it is an integral part of our future strategies to satisfy our guests at every possible opportunity, this is our top priority.

We have a dedicated team who focus on maintaining our rooms 6 days a week, it seems that we overlooked the issue you have raised and I sincerely apologise for this.

I am puzzled by the comments made by the front office team in relation to the air conditioning within your room and the summer temperature in Birmingham, our guestroom air conditioning system is very well maintained and we don't receive many complaints about this - as the building is entirely clad in floor to ceiling windows the temperature within the room can become warm if the air conditioning is manually switched off, otherwise the system is designed to maintain the room temperature at a comfortable level, I'm very sorry to hear that this wasn't achieved in your case.

We hope you visit us again soon, I'm certain your next stay will be much more to your satisfaction - please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you wish to discuss any of the above further.

Russell Markou.

1,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

we stayed for one night with friends.we were given adjacent rooms on the 7th floor.
beautifully clean and fresh,modern and tasteful.
good service on check in check out.
great bar for last drinks after a great night in the city.
central for city center,short walk away

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review!

Naturally I'm delighted that we lived up to - or perhaps exceeded - your expectations.

We hope this means we will be seeing more of you in the near future.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

All the staff I encountered here were really helpful and friendly. The room (0810) was clean and well maintained, and a very good size with a large and comfy bed. The hotel is well located (though the current work at the train station means it's not quite as easy to get to as it should be, it's still not far at all!). The restaurant serves really nice (if slightly pricey) Italian food, though the service was a little slow.

All in all, very convenient though and I would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were happy with our staff and the overall service provided - the team will be delighted to read yet another positive review!

Apologies if you felt the service was a little slow in our Filini restaurant - we recently launched our exciting new menu and there are naturally one or two teething problems which have now been addressed, rest assured our super-efficient service levels are now back to normal.

We hope to welcome you back to us the next time you are visiting Birmingham.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed in a suite on the 16th floor(very high arrggh lol). Overall a really nice stay just a few little blips. On arrival discovered the bedding to have feathers which affects my asthma. Would have asked for these to be changed before arrival if we knew this would be the case. We asked for these to be changed three times and after a couple of hours nothing had been done. On our way out to our evening meal we asked again at reception and asked for it to be swapped by the time we got back so we could settle down for the night. We were happy to find out things had been sorted by the time we got back. Room was very nice and had a massive bed. If the air con was a bit cooler then it would have been perfect. Had breakfast brought to our room in the morning which was great being able to stay in our pj's. only other blip was the gym not being open in the afternoon was looking forward to a workout before a night out. Got the room for £135 which for the size of the room I think was good value don't think I would pay more.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel further to your recent stay.

I'm very happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and you were happy with your suite - please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your request, although I'm pleased to see we had everything in place by the time you returned.

The gym opening hours have changed to allow the spa to operate; the spa has been put in place further to many guest requests over the past few months. Now open for the past 2 weeks the spa is very popular with our guests and I highly recommend you pay it a visit the next time you visit Birmingham.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed here twice, the value is not outstanding as you will not get a room here for much less than around £90 a night, but as the tallest building in Birmingham it offers some great views over the city with large floor to ceiling windows, I asked for a room on a high floor which was well taken care of by the hotel as they gave me a room on the 18th floor but sadly only the first 19 floors belong to the hotel, with the 19th floor being a gym, everything above the 19th floor are private apartments so do not expect to go to the top of the building for the views, there is no access for hotel residents, there is no cafe on the top floor or viewing area or anything like that which is a disappointment.

The rooms are a very good size, well equipped with glasses, bottle opener, ice bucket with ice machine in corridor on every floor, toiletries ect, the bed is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. although there is the odd stain, cigarette burn ect in the room. This is a smoking hotel which I find ridiculous and insane, no high rise building of this size should allow smoking for obvious reasons, many other smaller hotels are completely non smoking, so I cannot understand why they allow smoking in a building which has the biggest fire risk. I am a smoker myself but think it is very irresponsible towards the private residents on the 20 floors above (39 floors high) to allow the lower 19 floors to smoke. The bathroom is very nice, the atmosphere of the hotel is pretty good, nice and calm, the self service buffet breakfast was okay, not bad at all, and the (French) staff in the restaurant were extremely professional and welcoming. Although one or two of the (English) staff at reception had the 'air hostess' attitude but generally speaking the staff were good. Overall a good trip, left the hotel happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I'm very pleased to read that overall your stay was to your satisfaction and I'm happy that you enjoyed the amenities available.

In response to your comments regarding the smoking policy; we have one floor which is entirely dedicated to guests who prefer to smoke in their room, however, we see a decline in the number of requests for these room types and as a result we are in the final stages of planning to convert this floor to non-smoking, once completed the entire hotel will be non-smoking. I can assure you that the building is designed to all current safety standards which take into account the current smoking policy.

We hope to see you here again very soon, next time don't miss out on a great treatment in our new spa!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We live in Birmingham, but after seeing a show at the Hippodrome we decided on a one night stay at The Radison Blu to save going home. We were not dissappointed. The hotel is in a great location, just a short walk from the main railway station, New Street, and the famous Bull Ring shopping centre. The room was very pleasant, comfortable bed, flat screen TV and a clean bathroom. There is also a great view from the room we stayed in of Birmingham with a wall to ceiling window some 7 floors up. Ok, it's not the Manhattan skyline, but, still it is very nice. We had breakfast next morning which was very good, help yourself type food. All in all, a very nice stop over in our home city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Indeed we are very fortunate to be so close to Birmingham New street train station and both the Alexandra and Hippodrome theatres, why not try out our pre-theatre menu in our Filini restaurant the next time you stay? New chef, new menu - I am certain you will be impressed with the new offering.

I'm very happy to read you enjoyed the views from the 7th floor - the next time you book be sure to request a higher floor, perhaps the 18th? The views across Birmingham are breath-taking.

We hope to welcome you back to us very soon.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

well what can you say curtain missing broken chair cigaretts burns in carpet stains on the duvet they dont seem to care to much helpfull man on reception when e
we cheecked in and lovely polite bar maid

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us.

I appreciate your comments and I am sorry that you got the impression that we don't seem to care - I can assure that we care very much for every single one of our guests and we take pride in making every effort to ensure that all of our guests leave our hotel happy, if issues are brought to the attention of our staff during the guest stay then we jump into action to resolve it to the satisfaction of the guest, our staff are empowered to use their initiative to solve all problems - although in your case it seems that we missed a couple of items during the room inspection which has been followed up on and resolved, again, please accept our apologies for this and for any discomfort caused.

All of our rooms are equipped with sheers and black-out curtains, I can assure you these are in every room, however, in some rooms they are discreetly tucked into alcoves to allow maximum light into the room during the day. In regard to the carpet, we do have a small number of carpets that have become stained over the past few weeks, whilst they are clean I appreciate they could look unsightly, these carpets are being changed over the next few weeks.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon where I am certain you will see that your previous visit was an unfortunate one-off occurrence. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss further.

Russell Markou

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham? Share your experiences!