“Birmingham Beauty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Holloway Circus | Queensway, Birmingham B1 1BT, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #66 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Montrose, Scotland
“Birmingham Beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

To put it into simple words, the Radisson is the place to stay if you are visiting Birmingham. A five minute amble from both New Street Station and the Bullring shopping centre, with the Mailbox only ten minutes on foot also.
Very pleasant and accomodating reception staff, we were given a room at 1100hrs, even though our check in was not due until 1400hrs.
The room was sufficient in size, with adequate storage and the usual standard of decor expected in a hotel of this stature. The bathroom was very clean and the house staff replenished the toiletries daily as required.
Breakfasts were buffet in style, but in saying that, they were of a high standard, with a copious choice of fruits, cereals, meats, fish, cheeses, breads and pastries to cater for all.
To sum up, I would certainly advise this hotel, as when I return to Birmingham in the future, this is where I intend staying, need I say more?

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

The location is great, very handy for Birmingham's excellent shopping and for the station. We had to pay £243 for a twin room which was meant to be of a superior standard. We arrived late and the room was merely average- the room smelled of cigarette smoke despite the fact there is a no smoking policy and it is inconceivable that housekeeping had not noticed that. It was so bad that all our clothes smelled of smoke! The only reason we did not complain was that our arrival at 11p.m. meant we were very tired. In addition there was a large noticeable stain on the carpet - the room generally did not feel very clean. We did complain the next morning and an apology was made but no offer of further compensation. Breakfast was ok but not enough to warrant the high price tag - I wont visit again and would suggest you try other equally well located establishments.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — The smeel o
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

We stayed here for two nights last year on a weekend trip to Birmingham. The hotel is very central and close to the local shopping centre which has a fantastic array of restaurants. We were also within walking distance of the Bullring. During our stay there was a lovely winter festival in the town square which was really nice.I booked the hotel as it looks spectacular in it's advertisements. We had a room on the 17th floor and it was fabulous. The room was luxurious and very comfortable although the fancy Espresso machine in the room would not work. There's a lot to be said for a simple kettle. Breakfast was very nice also. Birmingham is very busy at the weekend and getting a table at a restaurant proved next to impossible without a 2 hour wait so we ate in the restaurant in the hotel one night. They squeezed us in as we were guests and it was fantastic. The food was beautiful and the waiter was extremely nice and friendly. My only complaint was the car-park. We hired a car as we needed to travel out of the city. On arriving at the hotel, they directed us to a multi-storey car-park around the corner. There was no direct connection between the hotel and the car-park, so we had to walk around the block to the front of the hotel carrying our luggage in the rain on some pretty dodgy looking streets. Also then there was a charge for the car-park for being parked there for the two days. The area by the car-park is not a good area and we didn't feel very safe walking there at night nor did we appreciate the smelly lift and and the outdoor paystation.
Apart from that I would recommend the hotel but perhaps not if you are driving.

Stayed December 2007
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

A fantastic hotel. I was there as a business traveller. The room was superb, comfortable and spacious. A great view over Birmingham, and in terms of location, well - it is quicker to walk from New Street Station than get a cab. Wireless or Wired Internet Access included with the room, so I could get that presentation finished! Checkout was a little slow. I noticed a sign about express checkout somewhere, but then never saw anything again.

All in all a great stay, including the ice bucket that suddenly appears at your door if you take something out of the mini bar. Not particularly useful for my can of Red Bull, but a nice touch all the same!

• Liked — Felt very Secure
  • Disliked — Slow Check out
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

Excellent location, 5 minutes to New Street station and all the shopping centres.

I stayed for one night on the 17th floor, away from the roundabout which meant it was nice and quiet. The room was modern and smartly decorated, and most importantly it was clean. Free WiFi was a huge benefit as a business traveller, and hopefully will help make this the standard for UK hotels.

Room service and restaurant prices seemed quite high so I went to the
'Mailbox' mall around the corner for dinner.

The buffer breakfast was good (and included in my room rate) but not excellent and I wouldn't pay £15 for it. The food wasn't piping hot, and although the sausages were good quality ones, I prefer them a little browner. The restaurant was quite dark and atmospheric - my preference is for brighter and breezier at this time of day rather than soporific. Service was friendly, polite and efficient.

Next day I had a conference at a different hotel in Brum - which seemed very fusty and tired compared to this efficient and modern hotel.

I'd certainly stay here again.

Stayed January 2008
Rugby, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

Very impressed with all aspects of Hotel, particularly quality of staff. Breakfast buffet better than others experienced in more expensive Hotels. Would use Radisson as first choice for other destinations.

• Liked — Staff, Breakfast, Hotel atmosphere
  • Disliked — Room service prices
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halifax, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

I booked a 4 night stay for business purposes thorough our corporate booking agency. Before progressing with the booking both I and the agency confirmed with the hotel directly that the valet parking service would be available as this was an important aspect in chosing the hotel. I was assured that this was arranged for me. I turned up at reception at 8.30pm on the first night to be told that they had only got a one night stay for me and that the hotel did not have parking. Despite showing the receptionist my written confirmations - she would not budge. I was allocated a business class room for one night and I had to leave the car in the decidedly dodgy looking NCP to the rear. I wasn't happy.

After a noisy night - even on the a17th floor the noise from the road and late night revellers is pretty loud, (and if that doesn't disturb then the seriously noisy air con will), the next morning I had to check out and the hotel suggested I liaise with my booking agent to sort out the booking. This meant I had to repack, move the car and contact the agent myself - no help offered from the hotel. The agent sorted out the booking - all the fault of the Radisson - and because of this an agreement was made that I would receive free valet parking for the remaining three nights. So I thought, problem solved - they've made a mistake and given me some compensation for it.

However, it got worse. The next room they allocated to me had a seriously stained carpet, topped off with an uncleaned patch of dried vomit by the window and down the armchair - lovely! The next night my room service was over 1 hour late. The fittings in the rooms appear on first view to be chic and lovely, but on closer inspection they are worn, poorly finished and tatty. Some aspects e.g. the white wardrobe doors are grubby and unpleasant.

Now to their credit, the staff were very apologetic and responsive to this catalogue of poor service and when I checked out they had amended the bill and wanted to provide some further recompense to me. They have also contacted me since and been pleasant, charming and again, very sorry that I didn't have the "true Radisson experience from my stay". However, the damage is done and unlike it's sister hotels, (which I have always enjoyed) I found the Radisson Birmingham to be deeply unimpressive. Whilst politeness is invaluable, the hotels core services are sloppy and uncoordinated. I'll stay in Radisson hotels elsewhere - but not here again.

• Liked — The exterior is impressive and the staff are pleasant
  • Disliked — Poor quality experience overall
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham? Share your experiences!