“Didn't live up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #127 of 1,445 restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian, Steakhouse, Balti, Halal
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Zauq; meaning the perception of one’s taste.We invite you to dine with us at Birmingham's contemporary new Restaurant & Steak House in the heart of the Balti triangle.Zauq creates a fusion of authentic Indian cuisine and a classic steak house, bringing together the ultimate fine dining experience to the Midlands.We offer an exciting new Mocktail bar; our team of mixology experts have conjured up some delicious new creations as well a few twists on the old drinksPioneers in excellence and quality, Zauq brings a modern twist on traditional cuisine along with impeccable service.Set in ambient surroundings, we aim to deliver the ultimate dining experience.
“Didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Went late on a Friday and expected it to be packed...it wasn't. There was only 1 other table being used which left the atmosphere very strange in the spacious, minimalist restaurant. There were 2 people serving us...one was very polite and attentive, the other said the right things but you could tell his heart wasn't in it.
We had poppadoms (which we were charged for) which really slightly stale and there was only 2 dips. I had a mocktail which was refreshing but hardly worth 3.95 for a mixture of fruit juices.
The lamb and chicken tikka starters were nice but nothing above standard and the lamb bhuna and chicken tikka masala mains were similar. The service and presentation was good and both servers checked the food was ok.
We weren't offered a desert menu which gave me the impression they wanted to close for the night as it was late.
All in all, slightly disappointed as it could easily be better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
“Value for your money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food ad great ambience. Verg friendly staff and cheap food for the quality served. Lean meat served and a very Hugh quality of ingredients used.!!! Would recommend Zauq to everyone!

“Definitely worth trying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Amazing place to eat! Beautiful decor inside the restaurant and the food was fantastic, certainly good quality of meat and chicken is used. Lots of different flavours to try out for, I went with family so we had quite a bit to order. Being a lover of curry, the Indian deserves top marks. Not too keen on steak, but it was lovely and sacculent! Service is a little slow, but it's definitely worth the wait because the food is freshly brought out. Great place to go with family and friends and would highly recommend to all!

Birmingham, UK
“Not brilliant; not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I visited Zauq recently and met with an immediate surprise. I had thought this was a proper grill rather than an Indian with some grill dishes. Their website, which I tried visiting, hadn't worked before going.

But anyhow, the restaurant was pretty good. The ambience is a tad bland; some nice pictures on the walls wouldn't go amiss. But this isn't a deal breaker.

The food was mixed. My wife ordered chicken tikka karahi which was very nice. I started with their 'imli imli imli' dish. It was small pieces of lamb, chicken, and prawns mixed with you guessed it, imli, with some salad. I enjoyed my starter; very nice.

My main was rack of lamb, which was a huge serving. Even for me, as someone who can usually eat my own food and finish off my wife's order too, this was a struggle! I would have liked more flavour to my lamb; the meat itself was quite bland, and with no sauce, quite dry too.

The service was very good though. Our waiter was very attentive, and even took my three-year-old to meet the chef after he praised his chicken tikka order as 'tasty'.

So all in all, reasonable but could be better. Of course I'm reviewing only four dishes from a much larger menu...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Excellent, and hope to visit soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Was passing through Birmingham from London and fancied something different to the regular Asian restaurants so after some quick research we settled on Zauq. We had three young children with us and was a little concerned we were going to struggle with parking. No problems there as they have dedicated parking right out in front. Restaurant was modern, spacious, warm, clean and very nice - initial thoughts were this would be an expensive trip. On a side note the bathrooms were impeccable which is always a problem with many Asian restaurants.

We ordered a mixture of food and drinks and we found the food excellent and very filling. Would definitely recommend the Zauq burger and the sirloin steak. The food was prepared fresh and didn't take too long to come from the kitchen. Service was excellent and they were very hospitable - Thank you.

Unfortunately we were too full to order some sweet dishes however I'm sure if we did we would have enjoyed it.

Overall we were also pleasantly surprised how reasonably our evening meal bill came to. Coming from London we were expecting the bill to be much higher but I'm happy to say it was very reasonable given the meal we had.

We certainly will consider another visit next time we are passing.

• Visited March 2013