“Most enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Penny Black's

Penny Black's
132-134 Wharfside | The Mailbox, Birmingham, England (Ladywood)
+44 121 632 1460
Neighborhood: Ladywood
London
“Most enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to this restaurant on Saturday on a very cold snowy afternoon and it was most enjoyable. There were four of us visitng from London and apart from the really attractive outlook over the Canal, the food was great, fairly priced and the staff were particularly attentive and helpful. I only wish we had one of these near where I live in London and I would probably visit all of the time. We will definitely use this restaurant again if we re-visit Birmingham.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

49% Recommend
Birmingham
“Great for a lovely wine and view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I love coming here for meetings (casual meetings), I love the view of the canals. It reminds me that Birmingham can be a very pretty place.

Visited October 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I love the atmosphere in this place, It's really cosy. The food & drink is quite expensive but its delicious!! It gets very busy too!
The only issue this time was there was no one to sit. We went in about 4pm for something to eat & 90% of the tables were reserved for Xmas do's even though they weren't due in for hours!!! We discussed this with staff and were eventually offered somewhere to seat on the agreement we would be gone by a certain time which was fine. I just thought it showed lack of organisation/staff & appreciation of custom!! The staff were nice & friendly. The only thing I would change would be the management regarding the above. I just hope this place doesn't go downhill due to the apparant lack of care of management.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A good evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went here for my hen do....over the phone the staff were very friendly, and couldn't do enough for us. Different story when we got in there. The area we'd reserved for a large party had people in it, and our waiter was disastrous......didn't take orders correctly, didn't bring my side order out at all, forgot things. I was very unimpressed. The food was boring and bland, particularly the bubble and squeak. However, drinks were reasonably priced, and bar staff very friendly. Not sure I'd go back for a big party like that, but it's definitely somewhere I'd have drinks in on a night out.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kenilworth, England
“Excellent atmosphere - nice early evenings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Really good fun, great atmosphere, staff good! A really good place to go after work for drinks! Excellent atmosphere, and the whole place hangs together well with it's choice of drinks, decor, and the fact that the staff are there to serve you, but don't get in the way!

Visited December 2012