“Saturday lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 1,593 Restaurants in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, American, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Lord Clifden (UAB) is a true free house with a difference. Situated in the Jewellery Quarter, we are highlighted in both the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2015 and the Good Pub Guide. In the last 3 years, we've received 5 Observer Monthly food awards; 2012 national runner up in the Observer Monthly food awards and regional winner for the Midlands. 2013 We repeated the success with another 2 'runners up' awards: 'Best Place to Drink' and 'Best Sunday Lunch' 2014 regional runners up for 'Best Place to Drink' & Best Sunday Lunch' In 2014, we were awarded 'Best Community Pub' for the West Midlands & Wales region in the Great British Pub Awards.
Birmingham, UK
“Saturday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Popped in for lunch. Excellent menu. I had the 8oz rump, which has a choice of 5 sauces. I chose the wild garlic & mushroom. It was served with yummy hand cut chips, green beans, onion & mushrooms and was a huge meal! Service was friendly and swift. We waited around 20-25 mins for our food, which is obviously cooked from fresh. Not a frozen veg in sight. Coffee is fresh and string and the beer I had for after was hand pulled and excellent. I'll be back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've been to this pub a good number of times as I work in the area. I went with some colleagues about three weeks ago and got what is, I'm afraid, the usual Basil Fawlty service at this place. Past run-ins have gone along the lines of ...
Me: "can I have chunky chips instead of skinny fries?"
Them: "no."
Me: "why not?"
Them: "sorry, they're more expensive. Me: "but I don't really like skinny fries. How about if I have fewer?"
Them: "no, sorry. "
Me: "but I only want a vegetable panini, which is the same price as the meat ones, so surely..."
Them: (grudgingly) "okay then."
On my more recent visit, we had all eaten our food about 40 minutes after ordering when we questioned why one person had still not been served. Up to this point we'd been fobbed off with a few 'it's just coming's (just like the taxi that's always around the corner). Rather than admit it had been forgotten about, the waitress told us it was our fault because we hadn't said we were in a rush! We then had to argue the toss about my colleague getting a refund as she wouldn't have time to eat it all before we were due back at work. A refund is something I would expect in this sort of situation - you shouldn't have to ask, let alone argue about it! It was finally given in very bad grace as though we, the customers, were a hindrance to the business.
Yesterday we went to the Church, just a few doors down from The Lord Clifden, in protest against the awful service. The whole meal was table service and they couldn't do enough for us. Such a stark contrast to the arrogant and complacent staff at The Lord Clifden.

Chris W, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Clifden, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi Pinky82_10,

We're disappointed to hear that you haven't enjoyed your last couple of experiences at The Lord Clifden. If you'd like to take this matter further, please email socialmedia@thelordclifden.com
“Disco fever fabulousness!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited with 3 friends and had a fab time! The bar is reasonable and staff were really helpful. The age group was varied but not full of freshers, which was really how the atmosphere got better as the night went on! Burgers are massive and chips are homemade, which made a difference. It's my new place of choice!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is mental..... In a good way! First time there last night and what a surprise! Looks a bit like a working men's club from the outside and then it turns into a huge pub inside with large outside area too. Reminded me of a Budapest 'ruin' bar outside, very cool and I liked the BBQ idea, with a chef knocking out burgers. Decent range of beers, normal pub inside. Enjoyed it a lot.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
england
“Hidden surprise...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went for drinks with friends on a Friday night and it was a great night. I grabbed a burger, which was fresh and tasted gorgeous and ready in good time. My mates started off on draught of various beers and all reported that their pints were flat and all went on to bottles. The atmosphere is cool and relaxed and it was a fun vibe. Want to go back for the Sunday lunch as heard it was great. Looks really rough on the outside but worth a gander and the beer garden is one of the best, large, colourful and has a ping pong table!

• Visited August 2013