“Great sushi!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Great sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This atmospheric six seater restaurant in the heart of Birminghams indoor market is a real gem. The sushi is very well prepared and is the best that I have sampled since returning from visiting Japan! The owner is also very helpful with advice on the different dishes available, I just wish there where more seats!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good food - terrible comfort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife treated me to a meal here a few weeks ago after I had been going on about visiting for some time. One of the reviews I read said that the place only seats 6. Glad we booked (both seats AND a babysitter!).

Sadly, upon turning up, there were 8 of us sat in a stall, the width of which would have just about sat 6 in a variation on the word 'comfort'. with 8, given I am a left hander and the guy to my left was right handed, it was a throughly depressing environment to eat in and, if I hadnt got my wife to my right, and as a result, was able to nick a bit of her space, I think I wouldve just gotten up (no mean feat in this situation) and left.

What else to add? The food was very enjoyable. We had a set meal 6 I think, followed with a teriyaki roll as they looked very tasty as Adam was preparing some in a plastic bento to go. We also had some nice green tea - better than the flavourless stuff they dish out in Wagamama across the road. Price-wise it was acceptible. I think we paid just over £30 which I dont think was deal of the century but conversely, I didnt feel ripped off either - though my environmental gripes soured the deal somewhat.

Adam and his assistant were very busy for the majority of the time we were sat there and I couldnt tell whether there was a bit of arguing going on between them, but as our sitting seemed to be quietening down and we paid, they told us all about their facebook offers, etc.

To sum up, the food was very tasty and the staff were efficient. Price seemed reasonable but the fact I couldnt really enjoy eating my food detracted from it all somewhat. I didnt expect to have room to spread out, given the restrictions imposed by operating from a market stall, but I did expect to be able to eat properly. Sadly, this probably means we will think twice before visiting again which is a shame.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Sushi Heaven in Birmingham!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

A great find in the heart of Birminghams indoor market. Cosy with 7 seats you sit right at the bar and watch the chefs freshly prepare your Sushi. Had a set meal at £19.50 which included green tea. A bowl of superb miso and a great selection of sushi and sashimi. Have eaten sushi in top London restaurants and this is great value and tastes superb. Will be a repeat visit on many occasions. At last a place I can get my sushi fix locally!

New Forest National Park, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Some of the best sushi I've ever eaten, however the 2 men serving could do with a smile, there is only 7 seats so you have to sit but its well worth it

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Fishy delishy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This stall in the indoor market in town defines hidden gem perfectly. Buried deep between the stalls, with a mere 7 stools for us diners, lies Sushi Passion - arguably the best sushi restaurant in Birmingham if not the entired West Midlands!
The itamae/chefs are meticulous in their preparatio of the sushi, polite and efficient in their service and always on hand to offer advice should you need it.
The food itself is not only beautifully presented but gorgeously tastey, with well-balanced flavours, far more diverse than any of the big chains close by.
This is the kind of place that should take off massively, so my advice is to eat there ASAP and enjoy the buzz!

• Visited March 2013