You added Thistle Birmingham City Centre, The Royal Angus to your Saves list
Thistle Birmingham City Centre, The Royal Angus
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   St Chads, Queensway, Birmingham B4 6HY, England (Ladywood)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #68 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
“Hmmmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Manager of reception was rude and obnoxious!
Room was nice! Wouldn't say a lot about the £6.95 breakfast! Then to find I was being charged £18 to park over night! And that wa with a 25% discount! Disgraceful!!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Newport-on-Tay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The location of the hotel was excellent, and the staff were friendly. The first night was comfortable and despite there being a long list of foods not available from the menu, we had a pleasant meal.
However on returning to the hotel on the second evening, I found the bed in the middle of the room with no mattress, the bedding on the floor and all my belongings gone! I went to reception and was told there had been a 'maintenance issue' and they had had to move me to another room. Surely an attempt to contact me, a note on the door, or even over-riding my keycard so I didn't walk in to what looked like a ransacked room would have been possible? There was an apology from the staff on reception and a bottle of wine in my new room, but no explanation of what the problem had been. I was not happy at all to have had all my personal items packed and moved, and asked for a manager to contact me - however a week later I have had no contact (unlike a colleague who received the standard 'tell us about your stay' email). Not pleased with the way this incident was handled.

N Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed over for a conference in a single room. Colleagues also stayed and the rooms varied in size and cleanliness. My room was small and basic but very comfortable and warm.There was an extra plug in heater but this was not needed. Very near to the station and shoppping centre and within easy walking distance of some good restuarants. Hotel staff were very helpful and one particular waiter could not have been more helpful and friendly at breakfast (didn't get his name). Reception staff recomende some good eateries and even provided us with a map.
The bed was comfy and clean but the shower in my room was the best i have ever had - even better than my own at home - great pressure and easily adjustable temperature control. The toilet bowl was cracked and stained (water marks)but all else fine.

Room Tip: colleague got an upgrade on equest when problems identified wth her room. Mine was fine!
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a business conference and the hotel had been chosen and booked by the company upon previous recommendations of colleagues. They weren't wrong! The staff at the front desk couldn't seem to do enough, particularly Rebecca Walker, who was both efficient, very friendly and extremely helpful with things like taxis and getting wifi! The staff in the restaurant were all keen to ensure that we had the best possible service. The food was very good both for breakfast and evening meal. We can recommend the red Thai curry, haddock and chips, and the massala. We had a twinroom, which was very clean with comfortable beds and the nrmal tea coffee and toiletries etc. We were facing the road in 522 so there was a bit of noise but then Birmingham is a large bustling city after all! The hotel is close to the Bull Ring and centre. There s a spacious lounge area for quiet drinks ( quite pricey but nice). There was a lovely outdoor terrace but it was too cold to use. I believe there is also a pool but again didn't use it. I really enjoyed and hope to return.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Let me start off with the positives about this hotel, its only a ten min walk from New Street Station and the Bull Ring shopping centre, the staff were friendly, the room was clean and the total cost of the stay was very reasonable, think I paid about £40. Now the negatives...the bed was very firm, didn’t find it very comfortable at all, the shower never seemed to stay the same temperature, just as it got warm it suddenly got uncomfortably hot. These are only minor issues and can turn a blind eye, but the main issue I had was the noise. My room was right opposite a hen party who were very loud, both before going out, when they got back at 3 in the morning and then again at 8! We made a complaint to reception and were told we have to accept some noise with it being a central hotel. I've stayed at several hotel in B'ham before, all in the centre but never experienced such noise. I asked for some sort of good will gesture, a refund or something but was told this wasn’t possible. In short, an OK hotel but don’t stay on a Fri/Sat night!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Birmingham City Centre, The Royal Angus, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am happy to read your positive comments concerning our location, cleanliness, value and staff, however I am sorry that your stay was disturbed by some of our other guests.

We are indeed a city centre hotel, however, I agree that you should not expect to be disturbed during your stay.

Please be assured that I am investigating this and I would be keen to speak to you direct so I can find out more information.

May I ask that you contact me direct through the hotel so we can discuss further.

Kind regards
Mark Kelly
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and not too far from the Christmas market, clean, large room, the staff were lovely and very helpful. The hotel was smart, offered all of the essential amenities etc. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed for one night 26/01/13 on a deal price of £42.50 per room including B'fast ( 2 adults) with our friends who also had one room (2 adults) on the same deal.

Staff very friendly and very accommodating, Rooms were clean and tidy and Breakfast was very good.

Stayed the night as we were watching an Eagles tribute band at the town hall ( ten minute walk away) and at this rate per night it was easier to stay over.

Used the bar prior to and at the end of our eveing out and again staff weree very friendly and accommodating and prices were not too bad given the it was a hotel and in the centre of B'ham

Room Tip: we had a room at the back whiched overlooked the multistory car park next to the Childrens hospital...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Thistle Birmingham City Centre, The Royal Angus? Share your experiences!