“Not great - but standard appropriate to cost” 2 of 5 stars

Paragon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 Alcester Street, Birmingham B12 0PJ, England   |
Ranked #111 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not great - but standard appropriate to cost”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have never felt strongly compelled to write a hotel review before but feel the need after a stay at the Paragon Hotel. I've read a lot of really negative reviews about it, and most of the content in there is pretty fair, actually. However in context, my two nights here cost me sixty quid. It wasn't the Hilton, but I didn't pay for the Hilton, so had no right to expect it.

So - the positives. The staff were friendly and helpful. The building itself is quite impressive from the outside. The room had most of the basic functionality you would expect of a hotel room. The car park was free (despite what the sign in the car park said).

Negatives - principally for me is the area. It is very run down and I didn't feel particularly safe. I didn't feel confident leaving my car in the car park and went back a few times to make sure it was alright (thankfully it was). There was also a bit of noise from the corridors and adjacent rooms - I assume because of thin walls or doors. To put it politely, when the guy in the room next door had to go I could hear every splash. Also, despite clearly being a budget hotel these days the bar seemed not to have gotten the memo so I paid £4.40 for a vodka and coke when the pub up the road did a double for £3.

There are issues with the room which would be unforgivable if I had paid more money but at £30 a night can't really complain about - e.g. the single room I was in was four paces long; the first night my tea-making facilities did not include a teaspoon and on the second night featured a soup spoon; the 'heater' in the room gave off a startling green flash behind the switch when I tried to turn it on; there wasn't actually a ceiling light in my room. If you want somewhere very basic to lay your head though the Paragon is fine. The bed was reasonably comfortable (two pillows, unlike some national chains which only give you one), the shower was reasonably powerful and water stayed hot for me.

Room Tip: Apparently they are refurbishing the hotel so maybe if you get a refurbed room some of the issues I...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Elora, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights while at the Spring Fair in Birmingham. The building is a beautiful Victorian structure. I had a single room that was tidy but the furniture was 30 or 40 years old. I think renovations are going on but my room had not received any. The shower had a little issue with mildew.
The staff we very helpful and the buffet breakfast was great for only 6.95. The cost of the room was very inexpensive for that week. If you are looking for decent economy accommodation this will suit you.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been renovated.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Booked a last minute trip, for the money we paid we were pleasantly surprised. Room was nearly re furbished room and although it was small double it was ok. Staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. Not sure we would stay again as not our sort of hotel but for a fun night out it did the job

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Arrived early and we're allowed to park in the free car park. Also the pleasant reception staff checked us in straight away as had a twin room free. Our room was on the 2nd floor. it was clean and tidy, with shower. One small open wardrobe, which was plenty big enough for 2 of us for 1 night. The flat screen tv with large choice of channels was a nice surprise. The room has 2 free plug sockets, along with tea and coffee making facilities. Good location for town centre, The Arcadian, China town and the Hipodrome. My only issues are the lack of lighting in the main room, trying to get ready in dim light is not easy!! Although the bathroom was nice and bright. The Windows were quite drafty, but the heavy curtains kept the draft out. But you have to remember this is a grade 2 listed building. Would stay again if we could get another bargain.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at the hotel we entered the Lobby and were welcomed by a clean open reception which displayed the once grand welcome of this building. We were checked in by a very friendly staff member who promptly gave us our key and we made our way up to our room. Located on the first floor we headed down a long corridor. Having looked into the history of the building (constructed to house Irish workers) the age of the building had to be respected for its heritage.
Arriving at our room and unlocking the slightly wobbly handle we entered the room and were pleasantly surprised by a clean, warm and fresh room. Tall ceilings were accompanied by dark wood furniture. A double room was spacious but still cosy. Tucking into a cheeky biscuit whilst the kettle boiled we switched on a good sized tv with freeview. Our room would be more than adequate for our overnight stay.

Having read some of the reviews of this hotel I was a little anxious about staying here but cutting down to the basics, the room was clean, warm and there was little noise outside allowing for a good sleep.

I think people are deluded into what a £30 hotel room will be. If you are looking for a 5* spotless palace then this is not for you but if you want a comfortable room for a night and are willing to allow for certain flaws whilst the hotel is restored and upgraded to a beautiful building inside and out, then you could do a lot worse.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

we stayed at the paragon hotel last night and i was utterly ashamed to have stayed at the place. there were towels all in the hall most were covered in poo, hallway walls were all damp n moldy and to cover most the damp up they ave patched it up with gloss paint !!!! i paid £50 for a double room which had moldy walls and stains on every wall, bed wasn't even made properly, windows falling out and constantly wobbling, the dressing table (if that's what u can call it) was painted brown but had chips n scratches all over it, the carpets were paint splattered and stained. the reception area and front doors was disgusting and uninviting there front desk looks an eye sore, but get this the bar, function rooms n dining areas are all very nice i was ready to sleep on the sofas in the waiting area.
the rooms are tiny, the halls are tiny and you just feel like your in prison.
ive been in hostels nicer than this place please don't book a room here the rooms are nothing like the ones on there website

Room Tip: just don't go there at all i complained to there face and got £20 knocked off but still wasn'...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I travelled up from the south to come and stay at this hotel in Birmingham. On I arrival the receptionist gave me my booking form which said I had paid by American Express which is very strange considering I don't even have an American Express card- just ordinary visa debit! .
Most of the other reviews on here are right about this hotel- it is very outdated and overpriced , a very old building which could do with redecorating ,rooms are small and very basic with no main overhead light .
I had no remote control for the tv in the room. Had to call reception to get them to bring one up and by the time they did I had no time to watch the tv anyway.
Tried taking a shower. The water was hot for 3 minutes then went completely stone cold. Not only was it cold it wasn't draining properly , so it was flooding the bathroom. After calling the reception they said they would send somebody up to have a look. 20 mins later still nobody had came. Called reception again- just on his way they said . By now I'm already starting to get late for where I was going that evening. Eventually a supposedly maintenance man comes to the door with a plunger. He comes in and plunges the shower drain and tells me the room next door has used all the hot water and it will take 20 mins for the boiler to reheat.
30 mins later- still no hot water. Call reception again and they tell me now it doesn't take 20 mins for the boiler- it takes 30!
By this time I'm late for where I was going that night having to sit around in a towel waiting for some hot water.
45 mins later - still no hot water! Phoned reception again and told them I wanted a refund. They sent the manager up to see me. I asked the manager what his name was and he refused to tell me! Just call me "Dave" he said. I showed him where the shower had flooded and he Accused me of deliberately damaging his room! He said it was my fault for leaving the shower running even though I told him I was just trying to get some hot water through!
He then told me to pack my things and leave the hotel! He said if I leave I would be refunded. By now I was really late for my evening due to this very very poor quality hotel.
Packed my bags and cane down to reception for a refund. When I got there this manager refused as he said I would have to contact lastminuite.com. I refused to give him the key until he refunded me so he then called the police!
I really would of been quite prepared to stay there all night and explain things to the police , but my night had been wrecked already by this hotel, and I wanted to try and salvage what was left of it , so I gave in and have him the key and left.
DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL - EVER!
Was it really too much to ask having driven half way across the country for some hot water? I've since been told by some local friends that this hotel has a very bad reputation and is one of the worst in the West Midlands. There are so many other hotels that offer much better value and a proper service. Honestly people - REALLY THINK TWICE BEFORE BOOKING THIS PLACE

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Paragon Hotel? Share your experiences!