“Beautiful, historic building in City Centre location” 4 of 5 stars

Paragon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 Alcester Street, Birmingham B12 0PJ, England   |
Ranked #110 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, historic building in City Centre location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights to attend a wedding and found it an ideal location. It was well priced for such a central location - you can walk into the City centre in about 10 minutes - and all the staff were really friendly and helpful, which is to be commended considering some of the idiot guests we saw them having to deal with.

There's lots of off road parking next to the hotel and although the room was 'compact' it had everything we needed - including a comfortable bed.

The history of the building is really interesting - it was used to house migrant workers, mostly Irish - and a lot of the Victorian architecture remains. Digbeth is very much the Irish part of Birmingham and we had a great night in a nearby pub called The Spotted Dog, with a live band, cheap drinks and friendly drinkers.

Yes the building is a little bit rough round the edges and could benefit from some modernisation in parts but for the price and location, it is really good value for money and it full of character, which I'd rather have than some bland, personality-less building.

On the downside, our room was at the front so we did find it a bit noisy from traffic and gruops of people outside the hotel, as we had the windows open.
Also, we ate in the bar one evening and the food wasn't that great, although the breakfast - which is varied and plentiful - was much better.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front can be a little bit noisy, particularly with the windows open, so ask for a s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with a group of friends and we had booked well in advance so we got a deal of £50 per room per night which isn't bad for a city hotel.

Looks impressive from the outside but once you get inside that changes, carpet were 'retro' to be polite. Check in was easy enough.

The corridors and rooms were tired and old and very small. The walls were paper thin too. The flush didnt work in the toilet and there was a 'tea ring' stain on one of the duvets. Reported the flush problem the next morning before we were went out the next day, came back late to find that reception had 'mislaid' our key. The night porter/receptionist was helpful, one positive for this place.

Found the key in our room with a note from house keeping saying it was left in the door....so the maintenance man had left it in the lock after he had fixed the flush......thanks for that.

Next morning the hot water didnt work but lucky it was time to leave by then!!

Had to keep telling myself its £50 a night and what did i expect!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Looked into the shower and there was kebab in the shower, the bar was far too expensive had to keep going to the reception to get the bar tender. Orded food which was poor for the price.
Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Daventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with several friends for a night. To start, receptionists looked unprofessional with brightly coloured false nails. The corridors looked very run down and in serious need of a revamp. I arrived at my room, £44 per night.

1. carpets were old and dirty, very dark unpleasant room.
2. shower area wasn't well cleaned
3. doors automatically lock - therefore causing me to get locked out
4. old fashioned layout
5. I had an issue when losing my purse in town, which I worriedly phoned the hotel to ask them to check my room as I was unable to get a taxi with no purse. I was told "you have the only key to your room, we cant get in at all" !!! - what?!?! obviously the hotel has a master key somewhere!

6. on returning to the hotel I locked myself out of the room, however the male night staff on reception was helpful.

worst of all, after leaving the hotel I was charged for 6 hotel rooms- £264 however I only had 3 rooms!
following this I rang the hotel approximately 8 times, in which I was told that the GM will get back to me ASAP. this never happened.
I emailed the GM to get my refund, no reply 4 months later!!

stay here if you want to be overcharged by unprofessional, lazy staff and never get a reply.
good luck.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I phoned the hotel direct to make my booking as we needed a family room. The staff were very helpful and offered two rooms with a connecting door which was perfect and the price was very good. The rooms were very clean with comfortable beds, lots of towels and toiletries but were a bit shabby. We were clear that breakfast was extra and booked and paid in advance but some guests seemed confused about what was included in their bill so check this. The breakfast was standard fare but at £6.95 a person for a 'help yourself' buffet was a good deal. We had a weekend event at the nearby Custard Factory so the location was perfect and it was less than 10 minutes walk to the Bullring. We would definitely use the hotel again and were impressed with the conference and wedding suites.

Room Tip: We were located on the first floor just above the air con outlets from the kitchen which were noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here for one night recently with my partner and had no problems at all!
Room was lovely! Not tiny in the slightest., bed was very comfortable!
For £32 a night I was very impressed! And free parking too is a bonus.,

Overall a very good stay!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The building is beautiful outside. Probably the reception, bar and restaurant as well. But bedrooms and corridors... AWFUL. The walls and doors were thiner than cardboard. We even had about 10 stupid young neighbours that kept opening each other's doors during the night just by kicking and pushing them. The bedroom had no light. Not only it did't have a sun shine, but neither enough lamps. Two small, dark lamps that were'nt even enough to read. And it all felt cluttered, old fashioned and ugly. The bathroom was the worst ever. My partner and I didn't have a shower there because it was too disgusting: floor and walls broken and with black spots everywhere, the shower almost didn't work and the courtains from the shower were falling apart.

Location was quite bad. Not far from the centre, but it is a dirty, solitary place. There's a hundred hotels in the very city centre that are much better and for the same price

I usually don't comment on hotels after I've been there, but I felt the necessity this time because nobody should ever pay what they ask you (about 55 pounds) for a horrid place to stay.

Room Tip: Simply don't go there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Paragon Hotel? Share your experiences!