“Absolute bargain will use again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Styles Birmingham Centre

You added ibis Styles Birmingham Centre to your Saves list
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Lionel Street, Birmingham B3 1JE, England (Formerly Lionel Street Hotel Birmingham) (Ladywood)   |
Ranked #42 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Devizes, England, United Kingdom
“Absolute bargain will use again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed last Saturday evening, the check in was swift, lady polite and very helpful and the room was lovely. Three of us stayed and had a massive main bed and a sofa bed which was lovely, the place was spotless and there was plenty of tea and coffee. We did have to go down to reception to ask for more pillows as we only had one each and no one was answering the telephone but no big deal. Breakfast was ok it was continental style and in fairness it could have done with being replenished quicker and the tables wiped. All in all a great value hotel, perhaps look at a text system for reservations and reminders?

Stayed November 2013
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, we are delighted that you had such a great stay with us.

I have taken your feedback on board about breakfast and we will look to make improvements.

We hope that you come and stay with us again very soon!

Carla Barratt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed for a Friday night. The hotel carpark entrance is hard to find, unless you know that it is on the road round the back of the hotel. Plenty of spaces in a reasonably well lit underground carpark. Full day parking costing £12.
Odd colour scheme in reception. Check in was quick/efficient (pre-booked). Room was clean and large (double). Usual desk and chair. Wi-Fi in room, which required a free sign up, but the signal was not good an kept failing. Bed was comfortable. Room heating controls simple to understand and ensured appropriate temperature. Nice shower (cubicle only, no bath), it did leak into the wc area - reported in morning, apology from reception and told that maintenance would check the room.
Lounge area had numerous easy chairs and tables, fairly comfortable, but would not be able to sit there for hours on end. Long opening hours for bar, small selection of drinks.
Complimentary breakfast was a selection of cereals, pastries, fruit, toast and a cooked option. Unfortunately the cooked option was nondescript sausages with baked beans and scrambled eggs - this was not the greatest hotel cooked breakfast I have had recently.
Overall a reasonable hotel for a short stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CBarratt, General Manager at ibis Styles Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review - delighted that you had a good stay with us.

Some great feedback that will help future customers I am sure. I am pleased to advise that breakfast has changed since your stay with us, so we hope that you come back and stay with us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for one night in October (thurs night) and for what I paid (£40 approx) I was not disappointed with the hotel or my room. My room was spacious and clean, my double bed was huge and the bathroom ensuite was clean and spacious. In the morning their was a basic breakfast on offer which seemed ok for most albeit not to my personal taste. All in all I would recommend to anyone on a budget who just wants a clean room to crash in after a night out in Bham.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and glad that you found the hotel to meet your needs.

We hope that you will come and stay with us again very soon and dont forget to book in advance for the best rates.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

You can't complain at the price as the rack rate is from £55, and £40/50pn double rooms with breakfast are easily found. However, you will be getting a very cheap and cheerful Travelodge-style room, with no view, a generic soap from a dispenser for your hand, body and hair cleaning, and few or no perks bar tea/coffee facilities and a TV/phone.

I was very surprised to be told 'use the free O2 wifi' when I asked how to get the advertised hotel wifi, and all the staff seemed to try and avoid everyone's gaze and stay invisible. The continental breakfast was average to poor (in particular the bread tasted very cheap indeed).

Fine for a one-night stopover, but would not recommend for longer stays.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. As an ibis Styles hotel our rooms are modern, comfortable and each floor has its own design where no 2 ibis Styles hotels are the same. I apologise that your room had no view, do not hesitate to ask reception for an alternative room on your next stay.

The hotels provider of WiFi is 02 and this is part of the All Inclusive package that you purchase when staying at an ibis Styles hotel.

Thank you for your feedback on breakfast, we are pleased to advise that we have recently changed our breakfast and offer a great selection of breads and rolls.

We hope that should you return to Birmingham, that you will choose the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

Cannington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having booked this hotel as part of a package with a family ticket to Cadbury World included, I found it very inconvenient that we had to pass the museum to travel to the hotel to collect the ticket especially as I was only told this the day before when I telephoned to find out where it was. I would have been helpful to have been told this when booking the room.

After our day we returned to the hotel to check in, which was painless and the staff friendly and helpful. We found our room without problem but on entering it became clear that the room was only equipped for 3 and we had booked as a family of 4 (this was also stated in the package information). When I returned to reception to point out that for four of us we had one double bed and one single sofa bed the friendliness of the staff disappeared instantly. I was told that that was what a family suite consisted of and that the sofa bed was larger than a single. I argued that even if it were, it was still inadequate as a double and that it was made up as a single. I was told that they would provide an extra pillow and duvet and this seemed to be reluctantly. When these arrived I asked for more linen and another towel, which inconvenienced the man that brought it. The linen arrived shortly afterwards, the towel never reached us.

During the night my children complained of bumping into each other and it was beginning to cause problems so I settled my daughter in bed with my wife and climbed into bed with my son. The reason they bumped into each other became apparent, there was a ravine like dip running down the middle of the woefully thin mattress, I settled my son in the bed as best I could and slept on the chair.

I realise that this was a cheap deal and didn't expect much from the hotel but I did expect enough beds for the number booked in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

The hotel recently worked with KGB on the Cadbury World package which is the first time that we have worked with them so we appreciate your feedback on information provided to our customers. We will review this should we do a similar offer in the future.

The family rooms do sleep 2 adults and 2 children or 3 adults and consist of a double bed and a sofa bed. I am sorry that you did not feel that the space was sufficient for your children. We do offer interconnecting rooms at the hotel which maybe the perfect for your next stay with us. The sofa beds are new in the hotel and we will ensure that feedback is passed onto our suppliers.

We hope that you come back and stay with us again soon!

General Manage
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here with a friend on a Saturday night. We had a twin room which was £40 including breakfast. The room was clean, the shower hot and there were tea making facilities. It was also very quiet, which is supprising for a Saturday night.

The breakfast was OK; poorly organised, and occassionally running out of knives, jam etc, but overall perfectly fine.

It's a very short walk from the hotel to the main shopping and bar areas.

I would recommend a stay here if you want somewhere cheap and confortable in Birmingham.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the ibis Styles Birmingham Centre.

I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I also thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast, I will share this with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Corsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at the Ibis Styles on 31st October and were very pleasantly surprised by the standard of the room when we arrived. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the bed was very comfortable and HUGE!! :) The continental breakfast was included in the price and the hotel was well placed to access all areas of Birmingham city centre within a short walk. We will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Birmingham. Big thank you to the staff who couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review....such a pleasure to read.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and I have to agree our ibis Sweet Beds really are one of the best beds out there.

I will pass on your feedback to the team who will be delighted also with your feedback.

Come and stay with us again very soon!

Carla Barratt

Been to ibis Styles Birmingham Centre? Share your experiences!