“mmm...mussels” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #93 of 1,445 restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Cambodian, Malaysian, Singaporean, Asian fusion
Description: A family owned restaurant and bar offering real South-East Asian cuisine. Visit Singapore, Cambodia and Malaysia all in one night with an expertly crafted menu by Head Chef Siew Kuan.
“mmm...mussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

As you can tell from the title, they do great thai inspired mussels. This particular dish is a favourite of mine from their sister restaurant, Blue Ginger in Kings Heath.
Back to the Blue Piano (yes they have one), the venue is lovely, one of the original white buildings on the Calthorpe estate of Edgbaston; tastefully refurbished.
Overall, the food seems very authentic. On my first visit i tried the fish amok, hoping it would take me back to my travels in Cambodia, and it did.
I've visited several times now with friends and as a couple, and the food has been to a high standard each time. The beef is tender and i have to say its mainly the boys who have this...The menu is quite varied and i have sampled many dishes which have been good. Everyone i have dined with have been pleased with the food (but the mussels are my favourite...i love seafood!).
A good drinks menu and service is at a nice balance between chilled and attentive. The crockery used is lovely too...well it all adds to the experience! Recommended.

Visited December 2012

84% Recommend
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Sit back and relax and let the good times come to you !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Driving through a snowy and cold Saturday night on the Number 23 Bus with old drunk men starting at us with nothing to say. We stumbled upon this place and rushed out almost 1 hour before our reservation. Its just before you get to the eyesore that is the new Morrisons on the other side of the road. The Restaurant is one of the old mansions that dot the road and is quite inconspicuous for a place that markets its self as a Singaporean eatery. However, once inside it is veritable Narnia of flavours and delights. The atmosphere in the place is one of serene professionalism and while the restaurant was partially empty – due to the fact that it was cold and snowy probably – you can tell that if packed out it there would be a great atmosphere with the crowds. They have done very well with the space and it is designed so that you are not sitting on top of other tables which is often the trend with other top end eateries (try having something to eat in the Malmaison in the Mailbox for example!). We went straight to the bar and was met by a very professional bartender who calmly waited for us to make up our minds as we settled for a couple of G&Ts – superbly presented and quickly served (mind you we were the only people in the bar!). We ordered prawn crackers to nibble on as we drank and they arrived within 2 mins – nice! I was a bit perturbed when the barkeep started to blend ice behind the bar which destroyed all semblance of serenity and ensured that I started to grate my teeth under the strain! As we sauntered to our table we were given free choice to sit anywhere and sat on a two top next to the radiators as it was freezing. Just across from us was a family of five with the youngsters munching away on packets of crisps that they obviously had bought in the disgusting Morrisons over the road ! I started to wonder if this was a sign of the food to come – what kind of restaurant was it where youngsters didn’t eat the food !!! We decided to move closer to the open fire lest we suffer from hypothermia before we got to deserts and as soon as we did the true beauty of this place opened up. Serene and (very) tasty. Sit back and relax and let the good times come to you ! The starters – mussels in chilli sauce were sensational – expertly cooked and exploded with favour. I would have liked to have a larger bowl of them but then I guess this was a starter portion. I ordered Beef Rendang and my partner ordered the Fish Amok – both of them beautifully presented (like little works of art) and both devoured in mins (like tasty food should be). Here it is clear that the chief is taking a lot of pride in the food that is sent out to the customers. I would like to try The Blue Piano when it is super busy to see if the same standards of excellence hold out but do try and eat here when it is quiet as you will have a divine taste experience. Deserts were The Blue Piano Trifle which I ordered and the Fried Banana Fritters which my partner ordered. The Trifle was mundane with nothing of interest to note – it could have been made my by 12 yr old niece in fact. But the Banana Fritters – woof woof !! the smells and flavours were simply explosive. As I write this I can still taste the banana! Just order this – JUST DO IT ! We wanted to stay all night but the fire was starting to dwindle and we felt the bitter cold slipping in so we had to get coats on asap. All in all, Apart from the heating issues which to be frank were minor when one consider the superb dining, this was a dining experience that we will probably be repeating in the near future . Highly recommended (just try to ignore the Morrison across the road!)

At 78£ for three courses + wine, G&Ts, desert wine etc for two – it was well worth every penny

• Visited February 2013
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Put together a fabulous selection for our party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I must admit I had absolutely no prior expectations as I was out with colleagues. This can too often be lowest common dominator but definitely not the case this time. I don't know why but some Victoran buildings can have slightly chilly feeling but the staff were attentive and friendly. Our meal comprised four different starters of particular note were the carrot cakes and pork & prawns parcels with bags of new flavours for me. Again there were two stars among the mains including beef rang dang curry which was perfectly spiced and the pork dish which can't remember the name. Portions were well judged. I definitely go back as part of a party but wonder whether it would be the same experience if on my own or with just one fellow dinner, as what really made it was being able to sample different new dishes.

Birmingham, England
“Great food great prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a lunchtime and had a great meal. The restaurant itself does have a nice relaxed Malaysian feel to it and the staff couldn't be more helpful. I had all three courses and they were all wonderful, a chicken starter, very delicate and tasty. I followed this with the vegetable curry which didn't look that impressive but tasted wonderful, had just the right level of heat and bags of flavour. I finished with a chocolate brownie, which seemed slightly off topic from the other Malaysian dishes but was divine. £12.95 for three courses, not bad and all cooked fantastic I recommend it. We had our 9mth old daughter with us as well and this proved to be no issue, high chair provided.

birmingham,uk
“just gets better and better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Have been several times and really enjoyed it - lovely staff, relaxed atmosphere with fresh interesting food. The wine list has improved as well.
really enjoyed the mussels and everyone loves the carrot cake starter :) great to see that its beginning to build a following - some early reviews talk about lack of atmosphere probably because it was just getting established and was short of customers.
Good spot & front room great for pre dinner drinks.

• Visited January 2013