“Outstanding food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #282 of 1,592 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British, English
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Community pub selling up to 11 cask ales. Full menu available serving food until 10pm. Monday Games night & Cask night Wednesday Music Quiz Friday Wine offers Saturday Regular live music Sunday General Quiz & wine offer
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family had Sunday lunch here. We've tried lots of places and normally find it difficult to accommodate a vegetarian along with big meat eaters. The menu was great, plenty of choices.
The service was excellent and we didn't have to wait very long for the food to arrive. Everyone in the family agreed it was the best they'd had at an Ember Inn as we've all had bad experiences in others.
The atmosphere was relaxed and not too packed but nice for families there.
We'll definitely be going again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham England
“Fare priced Pub Grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We live nearby and use this Pub as somewhere to get lunch or early evening meal. The menu is obvious and as you would expect from any chain , the food is good , arrives hot and the portions are adequate . You get what you pay for, if you want better try the Barnt Green Inn, BUT expect to pay twice the price.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all (for an Ember Inn)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had a terrible experience at an Ember Inn in Grimsby once but this place does quite good food.
The steaks are juicy and the Fish Sharing Platter was delicious.
We go here because it's local and the drinks are reasonably priced, and we usually have a really good meal.
The Sunday Roast is plentiful and value for money. Miles better than the "boil in the bag" beef they serve down the road at The Oak Tree. My only gripe is that the cauliflower they use in the cauliflower cheese is bought in frozen, and it's obvious.
There's a quiz night on Wednesdays and themed menus throughout the week.
The music level is ideal for dining.
Friday & Saturday nights are busy with weekend drinkers.
There's a large beer garden with picnic style tables, a covered (and heated!) smoking area, and adequate on & off road parking.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“An excellent meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and myself both had delicious meals at this pub and without hesitation give 10 out of 10 for service. The staff were very polite and a credit the pub's manager Andy. I had a Timothy Taylor Steak and ale pie and my wife had lasagne and salad with a side portion of chips.
overall the place had a good atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“simply awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family and I attended The Old Hare and Hounds last night (Sunday 31st March) to see the band Mods and Sods. Now I know being a bank holiday weekend I expected to pub to be packed to the rafters (which it was) and it is not that that I have the problem with. My problem was waiting nearly 30 mins at the bar to be served, after the rude, aggressive bar staff served all the regulars and their friends first. Then when I finally was served, after ordering a large round, the bar woman whom had served me stormed off in a huff, leaving the packed bar. The manager was very rude and totally didn't care when confronted about the bar situation. My family and I will most definitely not be going back there in the future.

• Visited March 2013