“Good Times!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo Birmingham

You added Hotel Indigo Birmingham to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo Birmingham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Wharfside Street | The Cube, Birmingham B1 1PR, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford UK
“Good Times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Indigo last night and must say we had a great time. Location is fantastic and I didnt think the staff were rude at all.

The room was a very good size with good views over Birmingham. The 'free mini bar' was a little bit of a let down though...1 bag of crisps, 1 kitkat and 2 cans of soft drink.

The spa was very good too so worth a visit. We ate at MPW on the top floor but we did book 3 months ago. The bar was very busy with a good atmosphere.

Breakfast is at MPW and I got stuffed on the full breakfast....I wont eat again for a week!

Overall...not a bad place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed for one evenin (Friday 14th September 2012) in one of the suites.
It was our wedding anniversary and we had a table booked at MPW so decided to stay over and make it into a romantic break.
We were not dissappointed ! From the minute we arrived until the minute we left everything was perfect. Front of house greeted us with smiles and congratulated us on our anniversary and went into great detail about all the facilities that were on offer - what a great start !
On checking in to our room we couldn't be more happier - it was perfect, clean, spacious & the balcony views were stunning & the free mini-bar provided us with a lovely glass of wine on our balcony whilst we unpacked.
I was touched to receive a handwritten card congratulating us on our wedding anniversary from Suzanna Naughton (front of house manager) and I can say she went out of her way to make sure we had a fantastic stay - She is an asset to the hotel !
We made use of Laurent Perrier champagne bar and MPW both of which were exemplary for food & customer service, breakfast was at MPW in the morning and the views from the restaurant are worth the hotel rate alone - I urge everyone who stays to have a glass of bubbly in the evening and look out at the scenery- beautiful.
My one regret is that we didn't visit the Spa - we just didn't manage to fit it all in. I was slightly dissappointed as I did try to book a treatment, as a gift from my husband (this is done from your room directly) but after several unanswered phone calls & a left message no on got back to me so I never got to have a treatment. Maybe this is something that could be addressed as its a lost sale essentially? But this is my only small gripe !
The rest of my stay was pure bliss - the bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in and I didn't want to leave it ! Except the call of MPW breakfast omlette Arnold Bennett was too strong and I gave in!
We both truly had a wonderful stay and it was faultless except for my minor spa niggle. I urge everyone to come and stay as the hotel. The rooms and location are amazing. Suzanna Naughton and the whole of the hotel staff and front of house team were excellent.
My husband & I can't wait to return - although I think I am going to come again sooner with my friends for a girly treat !

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I don't share Coco M's thoughts. I saw no evidence of poor behaviour amongst staff on my 2 night stay. The good points, the view, rm 2419 looking right up the canal. the included soft drinks, crisps and a Kitkat. Its modern decor. The tv, the channels available, the bathroom speakers spot on. the internet good and free. Plenty of room in the fridge for more water and a pint of milk. The downsides, cleaning not the best, room service staff miserable and inadequate lift numbers due to the huge numbers using the lifts for MPW restaurant but the plus sides and the location more than outweigh any failings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear LenSmart,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo. Very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the decor of our funky bedrooms. I have addressed your comments on to the relevant departments as guest's feedback is quite important to us to help improve our service.

Should you wish to return in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a great location for a night out in Brum or a shopping trip. It's funky and modern, very comfortable and clean and the service at reception is seamless.
It's still new enough not to be overrun by stag and hen parties at the weekend, but you can still grab a bargain on sites like late rooms.
The view from the bar is stunning, but the service in the bar leaves a lot to be desired - so we took in the view and left. Only let down really. Everything else was great.
Didn't eat there - one day hotel's will realise you can't charge over the odds for breakfast when Cafe Rouge's eggs benedict are within walking distance!

• Stayed September 2012
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear PurpleChicken456,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay. We do indeed have a great location only a stones throw from some great amenities. Apologies about the service at the bar, we do take our guests feedback very important as it helps us improve our services throughout the hotel.

It's a shame you didn't get the opportunity to dine at our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse this time, should you wish to stay with us in the future and book a table please do not hesitate to contact me suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com

Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We absolutely love staying in Birmingham - Mailbox area and usually stay at the Malmasion although as a Priority Club member, decided to use accumulated points against a stay with the Holiday Inn chain, therefore booking Hotel Indigo. We usually go for an easy night away, booking time off work to enjoy the evening frolics of wine and food without the need to rush back and like to browse the shops at out leisure.

The hotel location and reception is a little confusing as it seems to be embedded within various office/apartment space although is in an excellent location, with car parking facilities at £18 for 24hrs.

The reception was very busy when we arrived with one group of people checking in but receiving all the service of the two receptionists. We were eventually checked in and it was obvious the standard room we booked, was not ready. This was around 3pm. We were upgraded to a 'Junior Suite' although the room was more than adequate, there was no separate relaxation areas in the room...it was just a large room with 180 degree fantastic views over the Mailbox area and Birmingham - you really could not get much better, especially as night falls. It really is breathtaking

The mini bar was well stocked and there is no charge for four small bottles of wine...two Chardonnay and two Shiraz, two diet Cokes, two Sprite, water - both still and carbonated and hand cooked crisp. There was also two Kit Kats. The toiletries were also more than adequate and you wouldnt be caught short. There is everything you need in the room from a hairdryer to a safe and it was clean too. The bed was also very comfortable and large.

We used the spa facilities although we did not book any treatments and looking through the price list, the treatmenst were reasonable. The spa facilites are free to use but are situated in what seems to be the same building, but on a basement type level. These facilities are also open to the public. We used the pool, sauna, steam room with robes and towels provided by the hotel/spa. More than adequate although not very big pool area and would struggle to accomodate more than 10-20 people.

We were woken the following day by reception, which was a Monday at around 9am, requesting that we evacuate the building in approx 20minutes. it was not very clear the reasons why although we got up and complied. We were ushered to a fire point approx 5minutes walk away from the hotel with no communication from any member of staff as to the reasons why? It was pouring it down with rain and we were both unprepared for the weather and what was happening, as we did not know. Upon asking staff members when the chance arose...we were told it was a training exercise and we were legally bound to comply. This was the only explaination we got. It was extremely surreal and highly bizarre. I was wet to the bone and only had an extra change of clothes because i had been shopping the day before in Birmingham.

We could have been informed upon arrival of the training exercise and free to make a decision as to if we wanted to stay at this hotel due to this. The whole trip was ruined and we returned home as soon as we could, wasting a day off work. We had no communication about this and the staff was quite dismissive - it was the strangest thing. Bang went the lie in, in came the slight hangover and the frustration at the whole experience.

We did not use the restaurant and therefore cannot comment about this...or the champagne bar, although there is one on the Mailbox that serves good champagne accompanied by a pianist on most evenings.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear sarahbDerby,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you liked our hotel services, you room accommodation as well as the amenities included. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the unannounced training exercise. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers. I will follow up your concerns to the hotel to ensure similar incidents do not happen in the future.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Mine and my husbands 2nd stay at the hotel went for our wedding anniversary, the hotel upgraded us for free we had a card and Chocs in our room from Suzanna, staff are great hotel amazing will be stopping their again and again fab location walking distance to bull ring and broad street, everything about this hotel is excellent only regret we didn't use spa. A massive thank you to all the staff made our wedding anniversary very special.

• Stayed September 2012
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Cara,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Hotel Indigo. Very happy that you both enjoyed your stay with us for your special occassion. Please feel free to contact me in the future suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com when you wish to return and make the most of our facilities .
We will be very happy to welcome you both back.

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My second stay at Indigo and not as good as the first...on arrival everything was great.
I used the spa....relaxed in the room and then went MWP for evening meal....
I was woken at 5am by staff cleaning the upstairs balcony and then went to the toilet but the stench coming from the drain in the shower was overwhelming....I called reception only to receive patronising comments from the receptionist, so went to reception to talk to her directly. The manager come to us at breakfast and apologised and said she would have maintenance sort it. So we had breakfast and went to the spa we returned to the room at 10.30 ( they had 3 hours to sort issue) to realise it hadnt we needed to shower etc...i called reception and i was told that " your checking out anyway" so I contacted the manager and was given another room to shower and change in. The receptionist was rude and didnt have any customer service...they must realise its a service industry and should try there best to look after guests. The manager made amends for the receptionists lack of customer service. I will return as I enjoy the location and the rooms and hopefully the drains will be sorted and the receptionist can have more training...

Room Tip: any room on floor 24