“disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
west midlands
“disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

we have classed this as our top pub for an excellent meal and surroundings for the last two years we went to the bull last night 08/09/2012 but were massively disappointed. We ended up sitting next to the bar with all the traffic passing as well as the serving staff directly opposite eager for our departure and it was very uneasy trying to eat whilst being watched. Food excellent but we wont be going again - not got that chilled vibe anymore. Also no coffee available and ran out of pinot grigio - shocking !

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Worth the journey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Can it get any better, fantastic food at the bull last night well done Lee and his team. We will be re-visiting very soon.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great lunchtime food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Visited again for lunch. The lunch menu was fantastic and great value for money ! I had the yuk sung which was fantastic and the ham hock terrine for the wife which was great really nicely presented and handmade. My main course was a really unusual sea bass dish wich was honestly the best fish dish I've had in a very long time!! Great value for two with drinks about 36 pounds.
The food here cannot be faulted, comments about the acoustics in this place are ridiculous!!
Let's be thankful this place is producing food like this. I have reviewed this place before and the improvement is fantastic !!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tamworth, Staffordshire
“Midweek Diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

A group of four of us went to The Bull yesterday.

On arrival you are greeted by a modern decor that feels that they ran out of cash before it was finished, like previous comments it borders on being 'clinical' and 'cold' in places, it just needs some finishing touches to bring it all together as the areas don't seem to flow.

At the Bar I felt like I was asking the girl to do a chore rather than serve my drink there was an air of sulkiness and can't be bothered, the bar has a limited range, such so that when I asked for a second alcohol free Becks I was told that I was having the last one, I wasn't suggested an alternative.

The food order was taken promptly, but when we asked what the 'specials' were the girl read very quickly from the back of her pad, she mumbled and we actually couldn't tell what she had said.

The menu is limited, but I liked this as I hate having too much choice and I prefer it when a few items can be cooked to perfection rather than lots of things poorly prepared, but there is a pork, steak, chicken and fish dish alongside the statutory burger and chips and vegetarian options.

Our orders were taken promptly (there were 3 other tables occupied) again we asked what the specials were and we could only just understand her. Even with the limited menu the girl a poor knowledge of the food, when asked about the sauce with the salmon she had no command of the menu and it's components.

The food arrived relatively quickly, and all at the same time, it looked and tasted freshly prepared but unfortunately the plates were cool so the food cooled and the sauce on the Mackerel I had ordered tasted 'greasy' very quickly. The portions are small, we weren't offered additional vegetables.

One of us hadn't finished when the girl came to clear the plates, she proceeded to clear without asking, which I hate!

The deserts are again limited and somewhat bizarrely composed, they were in fact very tasty but the menu didn't do them justice.

We weren't offered any drinks at the table until we asked for the bill!

Overall this is a country pub trying to cater for the contemporary city pub market as there is a great commuter market in this area.

Care and attention needs to be paid to staff training, get them to know the bar and the drinks, get them involved with the menu so they can 'sell' the dishes because apart from the cold plates they were in fact tasty albeit small portions.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Be careful what you order”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The service was excellent but the culinary skills are very limited. I tried the Fresh Brixham mussels, cooked with tomato, chilli, anchovies & chorizo with toasted ciabatta. Everything was fine with the exception of the mussels. They were overcooked to the point where they became dry and grainy. My Rib-eye steak was cooked to perfection but the sauce would be better on the top of an ice cream. Way too sweet and overpowering. The pork belly, however was fine, as was the pork yuk sung, little gem lettuce, sweet soya & rice noodles. Considering the very limited menu it is a pity that the chef hasn't managed to perfect them all.

• Visited July 2012