“Fine” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
edinburgh, scotland
“Fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is fine. My second stay here. Very good pub next door: the Little Owl, does good food.
Holiday Inn staff are a bit mumbly. Standard holiday inn rooms and breakfast. Fairly pleasant breakfast area and bar with sky sports.
Just on the side of a motorway.

• Stayed May 2013
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your latest stay with us, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Little Owl and were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast offering. We are continually training our team to improve our customer service and hope you will notice this on your next visit. Once again thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am quite surprised and saddened to report the following poor performance of the staff at this hotel. On the surface, this looked to be an excellent venue - clean, bright, very convenient for the event I was attending. In my case, looks proved to be deceiving.....

Greeting - there were three females chatting between themselves - not serving anyone in particular and with no other customers visible. After they concluded their 'discussion' I was dealt with, reasonably professionally and with courtesy. A colleague had booked this months ago (as we know, rates go through the ROOF when there are events on at the NEC) so thinking we could get a shuttle bus to the event, to be told after the slapdash welcome that it's 'been discontinued" was disappointing - but I could get a taxi for £5.00 there (you could apparently walk to the NEC, but it was along grass verges and it would take 15 mins)

So to the room - ok, it's clean and tidy. The bathroom / toilet door lock / holder would not work. Strange high pitch noise coming from the TV - unplugged it and that soon got rid of the noise. I needed somewhere to plug in my clock & could find only 2 plug holes - each not at the side of the bed.

I needed to get some cash for the taxi (some don't take credit cards) and the machine in the lobby charged £1.99 for the 'service' - a short drive to the Birmingham International Airport / Rail station and their 'free cash withdrawal' machines was worthwhile (my car is VERY frugal...)

On my return, I ordered a drink (diet coke) around 10am. The reception staff and bar staff were engaged in a good chat again and the barmaid (eventually) served me - I asked to put this onto my room - she asked for my room number - twice (even after taking my room key away and bringing it back)

I went to take a seat to drink my drink - the same waitress came across again and asked for my room number AGAIN.....

Onto the free WiFi - I asked which one to join and the waitress didn't know the name of it (there was a pattern of ineptitude with this one) and said I had to foot the lobby area to get the connection - the lobby area from where I sat was approx 10 metres away - WiFi works more than this - I had no will to explain this to the barmaid. So I moved. I had to obtain a 30 minute token from reception (only received after asking them which WiFi to select) - it didn't work...

I decided to finish my drink while writing this review, in the lobby.

HEALTH WARNING - I usually can find many positive things about where I am and what I do - maybe the staff had all received some bad news; maybe the waitress was new to the job; perhaps they just wanted to finish their shift, I don't know.

I would advise that the staff undergo some retraining - or maybe the fact that the churn of people staying here means that this hotel can afford to NOT give good service in lieu of the 'churn rate'

I have a few days yet to take at this hotel - I may (if I have any will to do so) write a follow-up pending tomorrows events.

Watch this space and please, my fellow traveller, consider carefully staying here - I am not convinced I would do the next time I stop here

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your review with regard to your current stay with us, your feedback is much appreciated and has been discussed with the team members you have come in to contact with. My apologies that your welcome to the hotel was not a warm as I would like, I do hope that you enjoy the remainder of your stay with us and that your trust is restored in our hotel and brand.
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night using the stay and park package. The room was clean, staff friendly and very helpful. Loved the parking arrangement you park it and its exactly where you left it when you return so no searching for your car brilliant.
There is no shuttle bus to the airport any more which is not a big problem, we had a taxi which cost approximatly £6 and we used the same taxi company for the return journey.
Breakfast was OK we just missed the morning rush. There had been a show on the night before and the hotel must have been quite full as we noticed a large que for breakfast as we checked out. All in all a good stay we will be using the hotel again this year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear it was a pleasant one and that you found our team friendly and helpful, also that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast buffet. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a twin room with a shower for one night, yes it would have been nice to have a bath but for one night and at a reasonable price it was fine. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, everything worked and it was quiet. I had planned to drive but at the last minute decided to catch the train - not realising that the hotel was quite a distance from the station so I would recommend taking a taxi to get there!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel, I am pleased to hear that your stay was a comfortable one. The hotel is located one mile from the International Train Station, although there is a path all the way from the station to the hotel we do recommend catching a taxis, my apologise if this was not communicated to you prior to your arrival. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
crowland, lincolnshire, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here many many times in recent years. Absolutely straightforwards with pleasant staff and an absolutely standard Holiday Inn Express room and facilities.

Parking has long been in a large barrier controlled car park with a charge for overnight parking. Not a problem. Now however, a video controlled system operated by the most user-hostile parking management form in the UK is in place. That company has a long track record of harassing motorists who park AND PAY and whose staff are offensive and antagonistic. The system relies on staff at the hotel entering your registration number into a computer system, and the guest has no way to know if they have done that correctly or at all. I am frankly surprised that Holiday Inn, which promotes itself on its hospitality standards has taken this retrograde step with an organisation with a totally different set of corporate values.

I stay in is area about every ten days and will now consider carefully whether I will continue to do so at this location.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most resent stay with us, I am pleased that you find our team pleasant during your visits. We have recently changed the way in which we manage our car park and hope that this change will ensure that only guests of the hotel and the Little Owl are able to take advantage of our parking areas, as unfortunately this has not been the case in the past, which has led to a lack of parking bays for our guests. I am pleased to receive feedback on the new system and will take every possible step to ensure no fines are inappropriately issued. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

At arriving, the hotel looks quite nice. Big car park and seems quite in the area. When out if the car, we then realised it was £7 for car parking, something I didn't expect from the hotel.
On checking in, the staff seem quite friendly. They were quite rushed as it was the weekend of the beyonce concert.
When getting to our room we realised they had got us a double not a twin. We booked a twin so we went back downstairs to change rooms. Upon disturbing the staff, they wasn't helpful and offered no apology. The lady said there was nothing they could do so they would put us up a put me up bed. My mum, who I went with could not sleep on that due to her back so that meant I was to sleep on it.
The lady who came to sort it out was lovely but the bed was very thin and left no room at all in the room.
A positive was that the shower and toilet area was clean and had hot water.
The hotel offered a taxi service to and from the concert. They was very quick to get us there but after the concert they were no where to be seen and all the hotel guest were left waiting as they wasn't answering the phones.
After finally arriving back at the hotel and getting into bed (if you can call it a bed). We couldn't get to sleep as we was near the entrance and it was extremely busy.
After a ok night sleep we was ready just to have breakfast and go. Going downstairs to breakfast there was no one to greet you and the staff said it was complimentary so in my opinion I wouldn't have paid the extra for breakfast as it was actually free and no one checked to see whether you had paid or not. The breakfast it's self was very basic. The hot breakfast was bacon, sausages, beans and scrambled egg. Which was fine as I don't have much. To be honest the breakfast was the best bit about the hotel.
When leaving the staff didn't really seem bothered. So we just checked out and left.
All in all there are other hotels very close by and they would definitely be my first choice next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am disappointed to read that your stay with us did not completely meet your expectations, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience during your stay. Our breakfast offering is complimentary to all our guests; therefore we do not take your room number when you come down to the breakfast buffet. I understand that you found some of our team member’s friendly, however not all. Thank you for your feedback which assists us in improving the service we provide. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, should your travel plans bring you back to the area.
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place really is a mixture of good and bad so I'll keep it simple:
The Good:
1) The price of the room was reasonable and the Room was clean and warm
2) The Bed was good: Firm mattress which I like
3) Breakfast was included in the price: Nothing spectacular but perfectly acceptable and plenty of it. (Note I ate early and I guess it gets chaotic at busier times)
4) The evening food quite pricey but service quick & efficient
5) My room surprisingly quiet.
The Bad (Some of it ugly!):
1) £7 per day car-parking: This is nothing short of scandalous!!
2) £15 for 24 hour internet connection: Are these guys for real!!!???
3) The was no draught beer available in the bar on one night I stayed!!
4) My room was shower only (I should have checked!)
5) No Room service availability.
Overall It was just OK, but beware those extra costs: Taking those in to account you can better and more comfortable deals elsewhere. The one that really bugs me is £15 for 24 hours internet connection: That is simply day-light robbery in this day and age: Come on, Holiday inn: Can you move in to the 21st century like everyone else has please??!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel, and the candid and useful feedback. I was pleased to read that your room was comfortable, also that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast offering. My apologies for the lack of draft beer on the night of your stay, we did have a piece of equipment breakdown that resulted in one night without draft available. We are currently looking at the WIFI service we provide and hope to meet our guest’s expectations regarding this offering in the near future. I do hope that if your travel plans bring you back to the area you will choose to stay with us again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!