“Great Value, Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #62 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Great Value, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We spent one night at the Hotel as we were seeing a show at the LG Arena. The room was clean , comfortable and well laid out. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly, even booking a taxi to take us to the venue .There was a notice advising guests when the breakfast rush was at its height and the food and beverage choices were very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us, I am pleased to read you enjoyed experience at the hotel and that the staff were helpful during your visit. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again, should you visit the area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Llanelli, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My partner and I spent 3 nights here with 2 colleagues whilst on on a business trip to the NEC.

On the up side, the hotel is in a great location for the NEC with plenty of parking space and it's right next door to an excellent country pub called 'The Little Owl.' which we would highly recommend.The hotel staff were friendly and welcoming and, unfortunately for them, appeared well versed in making 'sincere' apologies.

On the down side, the hotel appeared tired and somewhat basic. The lounge and dining room had the feel of a 70's college refectory and the bedrooms were in need of refurbishment too. The bed was comfortable but the room lamps did not come on unless the main light was on. The bathroom was compact and the noisy fan seemed to go on forever once the bathroom was vacated. Clothing storage was open plan and somewhat minimal for 2 people and the corridors on the ground floor were sometimes very noisy.

Then there was the dining experience..........On our first evening, we tried the restaurant. It felt like sitting in an open plan students union bar. The menu was limited and the food was both basic and unimaginative. This was in stark contrast to the excellent range of food served in the 'Little Owl' pub next door, which we would highly recommend and which we used for the rest of our stay. Breakfast was even worse! The self-service facility was small and cumbersome and clearly insufficient given the number of rooms. The experience of getting your food was akin to a scrum down in a rugby match. First there was the obligatory queue for the toaster and then the queue for the tea machine, followed by long waits for the bacon or scrambled egg or sausages. None of the hot food items appeared to be available at the same time and by the time we got to our table the only food item that remained hot was the last one we managed to put on our plates.

The final straw for us was when, at around 11pm, one evening, we fancied hot drinks to take to our room. This was only available from one of the various vending machines at reception. Pound coins or tokens were required and we had no change.The receptionists apologised and said that they had no change either and were expecting a delivery of cash in the morning. We asked could we get change at the bar. Apparently the bar had the same problem. We then asked could we use their tokens. We were told we would have to purchase them .......but, again, they had no change! .......Okay, could we charge the tokens to our room then ? Sorry, no, the machine was not their property so they could not charge the tokens to our room! In the end I think even they got fed up apologising and they gave us two complimentary drinks from the machine ..... using their tokens. The saving grace was that, unlike the breakfast, at least the drinks were hot.

If you're looking for a 'basic' one night NEC stop over then this place is certainly convenient and may suffice but, if you intend to stay longer and you're looking for a good service, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the ground floor if you wish to escape the sometimes noisy corridor. Take plenty...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff you encountered during your stay. I am disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations, my apologies for any inconvenience. We are currently planning the refurbishment of our bedrooms within the next twelve months; we are also looking at extending our breakfast buffet area to ease the demand during very busy times at breakfast, currently to assist our guests we advise when high demand times are, to allow our guests the opportunity to choose when to enjoy our complimentary breakfast.
Thank you for your feedback regarding our dinner service, your comments assist us in making improvements to our service. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, should your travel plans bring you back to the NEC in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I’m not sure what people really want when they book a hotel near the airport or near an exhibition centre. I find HIE a perfectly acceptable hotel to stay at.The rooms are clean (although, the previous guest had left a bread roll on top of the radiator in our room and this was obviously overlooked), functional and comfortable. The room can get rather hot but you can always open the window.

Breakfast was rubbish. There was nothing there. They are fabulous in that breakfast is served until 11am on a weekend but like I say, there was nothing left. I had a lovely hot roll and some baked beans as the trays were empty (this was at about 9.45am ish). A great range of teas, coffee and juices.

Staff are really pleasant.

The coffee machine in the lobby is a total rip off mind £2 per cup and the hot water doesn’t even fill 2/3. I ended up spending a few hours in the lobby before check in as I had a lot of work to do, it was comfortable and lots of power sockets.

£12 for 24 hours internet is awful. Even if it is a good connection that’s way too expensive, especially since the Holiday Inn down the road has cheaper rooms and their internet is a lot cheaper. Also £7 for 24 hours parking, when you’re paying £68 a night to stay then this is a ridiculous thing to charge for!

As I said, for a hotel close to the NEC its perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review regarding you stay with us, I was glad to read overall your stay met with your expectations, your feedback is welcome and assists us in improving our product and service. I have discussed your comments with the team, so ensure that we address the points you have raised. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night while attending a concert at the LG Arena. The hotel was exactly what I was expecting from what was shown on their website. Staff were friendly, speedy check-in and check-out, rooms were clean and modern with good facilities and breakfast was perfectly fine. I don't know what others who complain about the breakfast were expecting but this suited both myself and my husband perfectly fine. Only one disadvantage is that I think this hotel is slightly too far to walk to the LG but apart from that, I definitely wouldn't have any hesitation in staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the time you have taken to review your stay with us whilst visiting the LG Arena. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable also that the team were friendly. I hope we will be able to welcome you and your husband back to the hotel in the near future.
Magor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Holiday Inn Express is ideal for a short break or for staying overnight if going to the NEC/LG Arenas.
We've stayed here several times now - mainly as their prices are cheaper than other 'value' hotels in the area.
The rooms are starting to look a little tired and I see from their response to another review that they are due a refurb. Well if you are, please provide drawers - I really don't want my 'smalls' on a shelf or keep them in my case..oh and a power point by the bed so we can put a phone charger in overnight and use the mobile clock..
Breakfast was fine - not fine dining but good quality and plenty to be had.
The only thing I hate about the hotel is the charging for car parking...why?? When we visited the parking barrier was up and the pay station was covered up. I assumed parking was now free but was charged on checking out. They are having a new system put in for the car park but I still cannot understand why they charge..if they do it so non-guests can go to the NEC/LG then hotel guests should park for free
Another issue - they used to provide a bus service to the LG Arena but they don't do this any longer. They do provide a shuttle to Birmingham International but the last return is 8pm.. not much use when a concert finishes at 10:30pm. We were advised to get a taxi back.. bet the young lady on reception had never tried getting a taxi along with (possibly) hundreds of others..

As long as you remember that this is a 'value' brand you get what you pay for. Comfy bed and bit of brekkie. If you want more then pay double and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If booking on the 'net see if a double with sofabed is available - usually for same price. You...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, also for choosing to stay with us on multiple occasions. I am pleased to read that in general your stay meet with your expectations. Thank you for feedback as the points you have raised do assist us in making improvements to both our product and service. The refurbishment of our bedrooms will be commencing shortly, I hope that you will be returning to the hotel in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn because we wanted to eat at the pub by the side of the hotel, which was a mistake, however, the holiday Inn Express was clean, a little dated but clean non the less. We had a comfortable stay, but missed the size of bed you get at the Premier. Overall, I would stay again, staff very polite. And as the old saying goes, you pay for what you get, and this hotel did exactly what it said on the tin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that your stays with us meet your expectations. We have plans to start refurbishing our bedrooms which is very exciting; I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the area to experience our new and improved bedrooms.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here you could easliy be put off even considering staying here.
I could not fault the stay I had; clean quiet and comfortable, ideal after travelling and busy days at the NEC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for take time to comment on your stay, I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, whilst visiting the NEC. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!