“Lovely hotel, quiet and a good breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, quiet and a good breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed overnight with car parking for our holiday in Gran Canaria.

Good pub next door where you can have an evening meal.

Would certainly recommend it

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that our complimentry breakfastoffering was well recieved. I will pass on your kind comments regarding the Little Owl pub next door to our hotel to their Manager.

I do hope that we will be able to wwecome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
wales, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Booked this quite last minute through comparing costs for holiday car parking.
We received 1 overnight stay B&B for 2 adults and 2 kids and it included 14 days parking for £79. (transfers to sky train free at certain hours, but taxi direct to the airport is just £7 each way!)

We also reserved it for an overnight stay on our return from holiday (nite flight!).

The hotel itself is clean and functional, it has a bar, and the breakfast offered continental and cooked breakfast options (self serve) and it was actually very pleasant. The room we received on our first night was of a decent size and clean. The children had separate single beds which was great. However the only down side was the beds aren't that comfortable, you can feel the springs, so we asked for extra duvets (to give extra padding!) and extra pillows - the staff were very accommodating. The hotel on site parking was great (there is an option for off site parking too, so be clear on this when you are booking).. It was also well positioned for the skytrain to the airport - all in all it was a relaxing start to our holiday.

Our second stay (we arrived 2.30am) after a long flight home and check in was pretty much the same, we had a different room (first floor) and it seemed a lot smaller with a shared sofa bed for the kids which wasn't great. We still needed the extra bedding as the mattresses really do feel like you are sleeping directly on springs! (the extra bedding seemed to do the trick, so we did sleep ok in the end).

We struggled to breakfast (giving our late arrival) but were there at 925 and I was surprised they cleared breakfast away completely by 9.30am weekdays - and it was actually cleared away from under my nose as I was in the middle of getting it !!!.. so whilst I went back and fore for my childrens breakfast, I ended up missing out on getting my own... I was disappointed with that as I thought that was a little mean as - being the only customers there for breakfast, they could see what I was doing. I felt that customer service and the stay on our return was poorer, but the room and hotel were again clean and value for money (£40 for the night including £7 overnight parking)

I would go there again at these prices...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor near the lobby as they seemed more spacious
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC.

I was pleased to read that on the whole you and your family enjoyed your stays with us, I apologies that your experience at breakfast did not meet our usual high customer service standards. I have personally spoken to our breakfast catering team to ensure that a similar situation will not arise in the future.

I do hope that we will have the oportunity to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future to restore your faith in our service.
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed on Saturday 6th August for one night. The hotel was priced at a comparitive rate to Travel Lodge or Premier travel Inn at £45.00. We have stayed at a couple of other hotels in this chain and found them to be far better than their competitors.
On arrival there is a smart lobby area with a bar and restaurant. Check in was handled smoothly and our room was great. Standard double bed, sofa, TV etc. The bathroom had a huge and good power shower and everything was clean and tidy and as it should be. Car parking was free and we just had to validate the parking ticket when leaving with the reception staff which was no problem. The Holiday Inn Express also serve a complimentary breakfast in their restaurant which is a nice touch. Although its not a huge selection it was good and I have to say this chain is so much better than the others we will definitely choose Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Paid £45 for overnight stay and one weeks parking - excellent value for money. The hotel is very clean, modern and comfortable. Although we did not expect to get breakfast (we left for the airport at 5am), we were delighted to find that there was everything available to eat, apart from a cooked breakfast - something we've never found at any other hotel at that time in the morning. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I was please to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to provide you with a hot breakfast prior to your flight. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I've stayed here a few times in 2011 and am always pleased with the restrained, but friendly service. They hit a nice balance without being 'gushing' or 'fake'. The rooms are clean and tidy - as you would expect - and there is a great lounge area with nice bar.

The breakfast isn't over fancy, but is certainly good enough. The only downsides are that the hotel doesn't really do evening meals (although there's a decent pub next door) other than a few snacks; and taking/redeeming car park tickets each day is a bit of an irritant.

I keep returning because it's well situated, comfortable and a great base for work. And, of course, the cheerful staff!

Room Tip: Book early, if there's an event at the NEC this place is booked long in advance
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Brimingham NEC, I was glad to read that our team have made you feel welcome on your numerous stays with us. I will be pleased to pass your comments on to the team.

We have made some changes to our breakfast offering over the past 12 months and hope that you have seen improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.
Rutland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here the night before our holiday for only £59 for the room inc. breakfast and parking for a week, so seemed good value to me.

Parking was no problem, lots of room.

Check-in was quick and easy.

Room, clean and just as all other Holiday Inn Expresses.

Only niggles I had was - the soap and shower gel dispensers in the room were empty, and the phone in the room did not work (wanted to use it as an alarm in the morning).

The hotel has a shuttle service to get you to the airport (I think they said it drops off near the NEC and you catch the shuttle train from there) but we needed to get to the airport before the service started so the hotel organised a taxi for us to the aiport (£7).

Had a room at the front of the hotel and at night could hear taxis arriving throughout the night leaving their engines running, which disturbed me as there is no a/c in the hotel so we had the windows open.

I would stay there again, for the price compared to other hotels near the airport I thought it was fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, and constructive feedback. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be good value for money.

I apologise for the inconviences you experienced and will take the necessary corrective steps. We are happy to allocate a room at the back of the hotel if you request this in advance. I do hope we will be able to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.
Grimsby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We booked this hotel as it is close to the LG and we were going to see James Taylor there. Having read other reviews we were slightly apprehensive, but we had a lovely stay.
The hotel is clean and the room was fine for a one or two night stay. The shower was quite powerful and the water was hot, so no problems there.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and the food at breakfast was nice. There was plenty of choice too. I dont care if there wasnt any bacon. I dont eat bacon on a dailly basis for breakfast at home, so can live without it when Im away for a night.
There was a nice pub next door, The Little Owl, which served reasonably priced meals and my husband was impressed with the beer on offer!
We did not have to pay for parking. You need to get your parking ticket checked every time you leave the hotel.
I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend this hotel to friends and will definitely choose to stay there again when we go to the NEC.

Room Tip: Take soap with you. There is a shower gel dispenser in the shower and hand soap by the sink, but if...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!