“Mediocre stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Mediocre stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here on business for one night and a meeting at the hotel the next day. Receptionist gave me a typical grumpy "eastern European" welcome! It's a bit tired and jaded to be honest. Room was quite small with tiny bathroom but adequate for one night, it was clean but the bed was tired and very soft. Food is the usually over-priced hotel fare - there's not much around the hotel by way of pubs or restaurants so I ended up eating in - food was okay.

The pool and gym area is nice and has been renovated I'd imagine.

The conferencing facilities were excellent - lady in charge was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Geoff B,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am glad you found our pool and gym facility to be nice. However, please accept my apologies if this visit was less than satisfactory due to the condition of the room you were given and if your check-in experience was sub par. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed as part of a conference party. My bedroom was so noisy with a generator outside that continuously rumbled and shook the room. I tried to ring reception to ask for a room change but the phone wasn't working - even the emergency button wasn't answered which is very risky in health and safety terms. I went to reception and joined the long queue for the long receptionist (6pm when everyone wants to check in and only one receptionist?) The receptionist was dismissive to me and said there were no other rooms available for me to change to. I waited and she eventually and rather reluctantly offered me a twin bedded room which I thought would be fine. It wasn't. The room, on the lower floor was dark, dank, unaired, grubby and horrid - but quiet. Had substandard evening meal. Rubbish breakfast - everyone falling over themselves trying to get self service. Toaster either throwing out warm bread or blackened and inedible. One redeeming factor - during a conference break we had pastries. These were served warm and were crispy and really tasty. I only stayed one night- I'm not sure I'd trust Holiday Inn again.

Stayed October 2013
Dear SirPrunealot,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked our double room with our travel agent and when checking in told we had a twin as that what was booked, although confirmation stated a double. The room was ok for the few hours we had in it. Clean and hot water in the shower. The room was in the lower level and although quite it felt like the cheap end. Duty manager complimented dinner for us to apologise for the room mix up as they could not give us a double room. Food wasn't great, my burger wasn't cooked and didn't have a table meal check to send it back, desserts all bought in and expensive for what they are. Staff not very friendly and when I asked for some milk she said two minutes while she finished a discussion with another colleague! As I stood waiting. I wouldn't recommend this hotel based on my experience and not what I have experienced before from a holiday inn and better service all round in an express.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Jonfaithfull,

Ben J
Durban South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had the occasion to stay at this hotel for two nights for a medical reunion.Having travelled from South Africa, we arrived at the hotel to find our room was not ready and had to wait nearly an hour for it to become available despite the fact that check in was from 2.00pm We got the room at 3.15pm. Despite requests the telephone did not work for the whole time we were there.It took two hours to get coat hangers!There was no amenities available in the bathroom or stationery in the bedroom which was barely big enough to swing a cat in! Thank god I didn't bring the cat! Generally a very poor performance from this hotel which also was not value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Peter F,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
East midlands, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I had a room booked for me as I was attending a meeting at the hotel, I arrived around mid day with a colleague I had collected at the airport. Parking was OK, around half the spaces were free, so no problems there. Check in, hum, lets say I've had better and more attentive staff and leave it at that.
After check in, we had a meeting in the bar with a supplier so I ordered some coffees and a meal. Again, I was not impressed by the attitude of the person who served us, was it a bad day for the staff? The meal simply was not that good.
My room was clean, but a little tired. I would say "functional". Big irritation, no free internet in the room - excuse me, Gold priority club member, I thought I got it free. Nope. However, its free in the bar, pity the signal was up and down like a tarts drawers, ho hum.
I met up with my colleague to hear her tale of woe about getting staff to sort out some problems with her room. A few of my other colleagues arrived and we had a chat in the bar, the common comments - the hotel needs refreshing and the staff were unhelpful.
We went off for an evening meal,normally I get a good feel for the restaurant by having a Caesar salad, and boy did this prove to be case here! A big hint, 4 soggy croutons, a splash of dressing and lumps of Iceberg lettuce are not a Caesar salad. I followed this with Gammon and Pineapple - not a nice way of putting it - Gammon - poor, Pineapple microscopically thin, chips average at best. I was not the only sufferer. Three of my colleagues ordered fish, and by the look of their meals probably shared a single fillet between them! A few vegetables? Nope! We all felt the experience was a let down.
I went to the gym in the morning, but it was being repaired so the machines were outside the gym room. The treadmill was not set up correctly, (I'm a "big" guy so when I hit the deck it was disconcerting to feel it shake and tip as it was not level). The cross trainer, again felt worn and some functions were not working, I gave up after that. A real pity.
Breakfast, not that much of a choice - even Premier Inn know that getting breakfast right for their customers is important.
Our meeting room was "OK", but again everyone felt the conference room needed a refresh. My main memory of our meeting was being a few minutes late for coffee break (due to snails pace check out) , only to see the cups and drinks being put away - can I beg a small drink? No way! (Despite the drinks being out for the room next door to ours, certainly not!). Even a bottle of water? No? Ah well, I'm only a customer.
Check out was not really an improvement - slow, disinterested and the only positive was getting the bill right first time - but how much did my my bar meal and coffees cost, lets say more than I expected by a fair way.

I don't like knocking hotels and their staff, I like to praise if at all possible as I know its not easy pleasing everyone, but I was really not impressed by this hotel and I won't visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear flinxUK,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate this experience was not in line with what you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn name. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My experience here was really mixed. I arrived at Birmingham International Train Station but it wasn't clear where to go. I called the hotel and the help and advice I got wasn't great, but there was a free shuttle bus and it was pretty good.

The front desk staff were really efficient and helpful. On check-out there was a problem with the taxi ordered for me and the staff worked hard to sort it out and even got me a discount - they were really good.

The gym was being refitted but they did still have some equipment available. The pool was really nice and generally the spa facilities were very good.

The room was a bit tired and was equpied with a plug-in heater so not great. The bathroom had seen better days, but it was clean and tidy if tired.

Dinner was again mixed - there was a problem with the starter (wrong thing was brought which was quibbled quite a bit at first) but it was sorted out really well and I wasn't charged for it.

The location is good for a lot of conferenece facilities, but you are a captive market if you do not have a car - there is nowhere you can walk to. That meant that the restaurant was VERY busy, but it was workable. You also cannot walk to the hotel from the train station or then on to locations.

Overall, not bad value but a bit tired.

Dear Andrew R,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I appreciate your compliments regarding our front desk staff efficient and helpful. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Nottinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed last weekend as visiting the NEC with my wife.
Initial shock came on arrival, £17:00 to park!
This was reduced to £8:00 as we were residents, but still expensive.
Check in was faultless & the reception staff were very helpful & attentive.
Room was functional, but two lights were not working & neither was the extractor fan in the bathroom.
We had booked to go out for a meal at night & looking at the menu in the room I'm glad we had.
£15:95 for simple fish & chips, £20:00 for a Thai curry, small side orders were £4:95 each. All very pricey.
Breakfast the following morning was very nice but again, glad I had booked it when I reserved the room or that would have been £17:95 each!!
It was a comfortable nights sleep in an ok hotel. Perfect for a single night prior to flying to warmer climes, but check those 'extras' if not initially requested or they could mount up!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear R00ster1908,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the prices we offer in our restaurant and parking. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!