“Disappointed at the standards” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #75 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointed at the standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you are flying out from Birmingham airport then this is certainly convenient and you will probably only be there one night so not so bad. I stayed one night on business and didn't find it too pleasent.
Communal areas - bars, reception and restaurants were fine.
As soon as I moved to the area where my room was (floor 1 in this case) there was really strong smell of damp that was there all night and the next day so I'm guessing it's permanent. The room was very cold when I first went in so I switched the air conditioning to warm and it was not only really loud but every few seconds there was a banging and rattling. The water out of the bath tap was luke warm at best. I had a door that adjoined the room next door - which I hadn't asked for, and was only locked with a small slide bolt which didn't feel very comfortable.and the picture on the TV kept going off intermittently. The staff were friendly and helpful though so it wasn't all bad!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ryan Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write your review.

Regarding the in room issues; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to Maintenance department to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham airport soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Well located across the freeway form the airport. Clean and staff friendly.
Fit my needs for a quick stay on personal travel.

Basic amenities like free coffee in the lobby, free wifi, and the other usual stuff.

Yeah its older and the neighborhood is not that great but it's the airport!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear racinglasers,

Thank you for sending through the wonderful feedback, it's great to have your opinion.

I am not sure if you have plans to return, however let us know when your next in the area as we would be delighted to look after you once again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've never stayed in an hotel with so many staff who couldn't care less. Some staff were cheery and helpful - the shuttle bus drivers were great, but they were the exception. The housekeeping standards were not as you would expect from a hotel charging so much. This hotel is well past it's sell by date. There is a rather musty/blocked drain smell in the corridor leading from the reception to the rooms. The TV was out of the ark and did not function properly. I got an electric shock from the towel rail switch. You couldn't switch off the shower unless you got out and turned it to cold ..., need I go on, I'm sure you get the picture.
Overpriced meals and extortionate bar charges - £4.95 for a pint of lager!
This hotel is probably ok for a one night stay where you may not notice the lack of attention, but after 5 nights I was glad to leave and won't be back.

• Stayed October 2012
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The rooms here are lovely as a priority club member the room special.However the staff let the hotel down.I called for room service and was told "no" theres a 2 hr wait,I went to the restraurant to find a 1.5 hor wait.The bar was full of football fans wathing the match and there was no where to get a snack.I went back and waited 1.5 hors for very basic overdone steak. Staff could not of cared less .The front desk were not much better.

Asa a woman on my own I do not want to be faced withthe types of decisions to have to sit with a gang of very drunk men and I would of thought there would be so,me understanding

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write your review.

Regarding the issues with food service; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to Food & beverage Department to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham airport soon.
Rutland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I really liked this hotel. It's a bit noisy being right by the airport and the hotel was maxed out when I got there but the room was very comfortable and quiet. All the amenities were included (especially an iron and ironing board). The restaurant and lounge are were very nice. Staff was cordially and helpful.

Dear Jeffrey L,

Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

One night stay for function at Hilton metropole. Lovely modern rooms recently refurbished. Everything we needed except heat the thermostat didn't appear to work. Didn't use facilities as at a function. Found parking easy. Breakfast was quick and plenty. Paid £100 for two people for one night (only hotel with vacancies on that night) Would stay here again if could get at better price. Very happy.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Whingefreezone,

Stranraer in Bonnie Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Please read carefully all the terrible reviews shown for this hotel I have stayed there but never again.The different points raised are all valid but would remind readers that normally all Holiday Inns especially in Scotland are very good and should not be put off staying in them despite this poor hotel.As a Priority club member it was especially disappointing having to explain to the manager that he should close the rooms I was in, as there was no working TV and the heating system was faulty,.to his credit he did this.The comment concerning the front desk amused me,I was accused to having read a Sunday paper at early morning checkout even though I had not ordered the paper,it was added to my bill and I left it behind and asked for the item to be removed from the bill,,the receptionist in the huff tore the bill up and gave me another one..This was the first time as a member I was subjected to such treatment and would in future look carefully at Trip Advisor before booking

Room Tip: Do not use the ground floor rooms