“I need to find a new favourite!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Hotel Birmingham City Centre

Save Saved
You added Ramada Hotel Birmingham City Centre to your Saves list
Ramada Hotel Birmingham City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Wharfside Street - The Mail Box, Birmingham B1 1RL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #83 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
“I need to find a new favourite!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I have reviewed this hotel before and it's been my preferred hotel for a couple of years when visiting Birmingham. Sorry but I won't be staying again. The staff on reception seemed okay but not welcoming and the check in was a bit long winded. The room quite frankly was scruffy and needed a good clean and a bit of TLC. In fact the whole hotel now looks tired and frankly rather dilapidated.

I ate in the hotel restaurant on the first evening. If as a restaurant you are going to print you own menu, please ensure it is proof read for spelling mistakes as an error doesn't inspire confidence! I decided against a "bureger" (menu spelling, not my spelling) and thought the salmon, new potatoes and green beans sounded good. What came was a minuscule piece of salmon that hadn't been pin boned, the green beans were carrots, cauliflower and broccoli and the potatoes were slathered in mint sauce from a jar! Yuck! The diners were treated to a floor show from the chef having a right old ding dong with the manager. The second night I ate out!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just came back today after 3 nights at this hotel.

We found this hotel easily but only because we know Birmingham well, if you didn't know it then I can see why it would be a problem. So it is only fair I cover the location first. This is really nice, if you can get a room facing the river. I know that a lot of reviewers have said that rooms on the river side of the hotel are noisy and you will get no sleep. We were on the fourth floor, so just above the bars and although there was a little noise there was never too much. We never had a problem sleeping, to be honest it was quiet for a Birmingham hotel so I dont agree with other reviewers there.

Parking in the Mailbox is mega expensive, £19 for 24 hours, there are cheaper car parks around the area though, the one under the Crowne Plaza is a five minute walk and is £13 for 24 hours. The road that this car park is on also has street parking which is free from 7pm until 8am so you can park over night there for free if that is something you wish to do.

The man on reception when we got there was called Harry if I remember rightly and he was a really nice guy, in fact he was the only member of the staff that we encountered in the 3 days who said a word to us and didnt look at us as we entered the hotel as if we were causing a nuisance.

Next the room. View was great, room was big enough and clean. But and this is a big but, the beds were horrible, by far and away the worst hotel bed I have stayed in ever. One of the legs was broken off the bed and just left underneath it, so when you sat at the end of the bed it tipped up. Then the mattress, horrible. They had tried to cover up the fact that the mattress was destroyed by putting a quilt underneath the sheet, so you slept on a duvet but even then you could still feel the divets and broken springs. Then we had a sofa bed for my son, this was just as bad, it was like sleeping on a rock.

There is a Tesco next door, which is a brilliant help. The bar area of the hotel is more like a front room of a student house, needs some work. Starbucks staff, which is in the hotel really speak to you like you have just taken a dump in their kettle.

And then you have check out, we were told on check in that we were paying a price, they took my card and I thought that was it, all paid. Then on check out another lady told me I need your card for check out. Ok I said, She took it and charged me an extra £30. She said the first amount they pre authorised on check in was wrong and that was it. I started to argue my case, the man had told me the amount and pre authorised it so why are they now telling me a different amount but with a crying toddler in tow and a pregnant partner who just wanted to get to the car and get going I wasnt getting anywhere so left it.

A few things that could make the hotel so much better if only they got round to them, general maintenance, new beds and staff who show they care would be a great start.

Room Tip: Get a river room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here on 6th & 7th April and were very disappointed to see how shabby it had become since our last stay two years ago. Although it's clean, there was evidence of just not caring in our room - the wall that the electric heater was on had become very dirty (as they do) someone had tried to clean it but had just created an even worse and large black mark which had just been left.
The hairdryer had been removed at some point and not replaced, the net curtain had a hole in it and the bathroom was absolutely FREEZING.
Worst aspect of this room was the bed which I must say is the worst bed I have ever paid to sleep in. The mattress was burst and had a huge dip in the middle they had tried to camouflage this by a mattress topper but sadly it hadn't worked giving us two nights of very poor sleep. Wifi was unobtainable in the room - surely this should be standard nowadays and not an added optional luxury??
Breakfast the first morning was laid out to help ourselves and was actually not too bad, the following morning they weren't busy enough to lay out a selection for self service, but it was cooked to order for us and nothing was a problem.
The staff were nice and very helpful although there weren't many of them about.
The location is great and our room at the front and first floor wasn't noisy - you have to expect some noise as it's above the main eating / bar area of the Mail Box.
Given the overall condition of the hotel at the moment I don't think we'll stay there again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here just before easter of 2013, and despite a minor dispute over whether my internet was included in my room cost, I was pleasantly surprised at the room and hotel. I had read reviews on here and was a little wary but I asked for a high room on the opposite side of the hotel and got two very good nights sleep. The location was excellent for the attractions in the city centre and I enjoyed a pleasant walk along the canal outside to find somewhere to eat both nights. The room was clean, warm, had tea and coffee, and an iron. The only minor niggles were an underpowered shower and a fault with the trouser press, other than that I'd gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quieter the nights sleep...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

we stayed here over a three night period and this is the first time we had breakfast only once and glad we did, I wasn’t sure about the breakfast at first at a cost of £13, anyway we give it a go on out last day, only to be told cooked breakfast will be cooked to order as we aren’t very busy and I am looking after Costa as well, well to be perfectly honest I do like the idea of helping myself, it’s better that way, my wife likes continental breakfast so we bit the bullet and went for the full Monty, £13 each, the cooked breakfast was very nice and plentiful although I do like my bacon not to look anaemic, we came to have continental, un fortunately Ramada this is where you let us down, 4 small plates, 1 of I think tinned peaches, 1 of tinned grapefruit, I tray of baby bells, and a smoked cheesed wrapped like a sausage and finally some thinly sliced cheese that had gone hard and of colour, I have a photo and if I could upload it I would, this is not to the standard of hotel I paid £320 for 3 nights, it was very disappointing indeed

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Blackburn, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The entrance could be easily missed. Only saw the hotel sign at last minute because I thought it was a coffee place. My twin room (422) was a good size, bad view, large flat screen tv, hotel choices only not free view, Ethernet connection but no free wifi. Which is great but not everyone takes a laptop. Plenty of stuff for brews and a good size bathroom. The hotel is in a great area for food choices, my favourite steakhouse Miller & Carter is part of the building. 5 minutes walk from the train station, 15 mins to the bull ring. Don't have any info on the breakfast because it would have cost £13 a night extra. Not paying that when there are plenty of good options in town. Overall a balance of good and bad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We booked this hotel through Avios for a Wednesday night as it is a stone's throw from the O2 Academy where we were going (£5 each way in a taxi, just under a mile). It didn't feel as plush as the other Ramadas we have stayed in and the rooms were somewhat average, but it was still decent enough that we have no complaints after our stay. The only toiletries was a bottle of Dove fixed to the wall in the bathroom and luckily we found an extra set of towels in the draw as there were two of us in the room but only one set on the rail. The room was spacious and quiet, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean. The reception staff were efficient and friendly, they called us a taxi at night for the O2 and let us leave our bags after we checked out the following morning to go out of the hotel for breakfast. We parked in the Britannia multi storey, £13.50 for 24 hours, which was only a few minutes' walk with our bags. The hotel is not really for a romantic couple's stay, but its location is ideal on the canal and will fit the bill for anyone who wants somewhere conveniently located as a stop over.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Hotel Birmingham City Centre? Share your experiences!