“Interesting ......” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Norfolk Hotel

You added Norfolk Hotel to your Saves list
Norfolk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 9NA, England (Formerly Comfort Inn Edgbaston)   |
Ranked #117 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Sydney, Australia
“Interesting ......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK - I have stayed at some 'interesting' places ..... pre Tripadvisor ......
and this hotel was up there with the interesting ...

I actually booked at another hotel through Last Minute, but when I got there, I was sent up to this hotel. I am on a tight budget, but I wouldn't have booked here after reading the other reviews !!

Apparently it used to be a Comfort Inn .... well, it is undergoing a refurbishment, so it is a bit like sleeping in a building site..... and yes, the hotel obviously lets rooms out to emergency housing and others ..... it's economics .... everyone needs repeat business !!!!

But look, it was OK. The wifi only works in the reception area, and there are bare (patched) gyprock walls in the room, and building materials in the hallways - but - hey, the bed was clean, there was TV, kettle etc, and the small bathroom was clean - basic - but clean....

It was OK ..... If you ignored the fact that a couple of people had carved their names in the bathroom door and the walls were varying stages of patched gyprock. 'Guests' in other rooms were having loud, interesting discussions, and maybe, for some, English wasn't their first language so they hadn't quite grasped the 'no smoking' instruction !!

But hey, I take a heater with me in case I am cold ... and I didn't need to use it here ..... the heating worked and it was snowing outside ! I was warm, it was clean, and my door locked.

It was cheap ...... interesting and cheap !!! .....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I arrived at the hotel only to be greeted by rude receptionist and a key that did not even work to my room. I had to then go back to reception and explain the key was not working and they told me to go and try again, after returning to the desk several times to tell them it just was not working and they didn't even bother to come and help me they finally decided to come see for themselves and surprise surprise it didn't work. Finally after waiting for ages to get into my room i was moved two doors down to another room where the key actually worked. As soon as i opened the door i was disgusted. The carpet was damp, the toilet was moldy and I would NEVER consider using the shower - you go into the shower to get clean not dirty!!. the floorboards were all split and the curtains were filthy. RAT DROPPINGS by the bed and strange stain marks up the walls. I actually went outside and cried. It was disgusting. I couldn't sleep in there all night as all i could hear was scratching along the walls. while outside having a cigarette a girl warned me about prostitutes and men trying to pick up girls that come to the hotel. i was shocked. After stopping there the first night i asked for a room change which i was then moved up to the 1st floor which admittedly was a bit better or so i thought. The room was not as dirty but i was yet to discover what was up there. As i come out of my room i happened to look up at a light fixture only to discover there was a DEAD RAT!!!!!!!! in it as i have shown in my picture i took of it. I was disgusted. later that night i told the receptionist about it and he was in a hurry to get rid of the rat saying to another colleague " Quick get it out, that's what they are all taking pictures of" I did not even feel safe in there being a young girl on my own i couldn't even have a cigarette in peace, i would go outside only to be confronted with men trying to get me into their car and asking me how much i charged!!!!! i even confronted the receptionist about it and they done nothing at all.
The following day i could not take staying in there any longer and i moved out telling them i thought it was disgusting and dirty and moved to a much better place just down the road.
I recommend that no one even gives stopping here a thought it is disgusting and your most likely to catch something in there. it needs to be SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT Stay Here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Twirlie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My partner and I were booked into here last September on a work trip and have been meaning to leave a review, sorry, I mean warning, to other travelers ever since.

This is in fact, as other reviews say, a halfway house for the homeless. There are prostitutes outside (and dare I say inside) as well as drug addicts.

On arrival we ventured warily up to our corridor which was like something from a horror movie. Just a flickering strip bulb on the ceiling in the darkness with buckets collecting drips from the corridor ceiling. On walking into our room I have never seen anything like it (and we have traveled) It was rotten, dirty, with body hair in the bed, dirty tissue by the loo, the list goes on..

Just do not stay here! We left and stayed in the hotel next door (I believe they are used to this) which was much better and they confirmed our impression that it was indeed a halfway house.

How this place is able to function and take money is beyond me. Worse place I have ever, ever seen. Truly, incredibly horrendous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

wish i had read the reviews before i booked to stop here, could`nt get into the usuall place i stop in birmingham so booked this at the last minute.the recoption area is`nt to bad but thats it. got a room on the 3rd floor so took the lift, this set alarm bells ringing it was filthy, after getting out of the lift i was greeted to the smell of canabis in the air the carpet was thread bare and dirty. after findind my room through the maze of broken doors i was greeted to a room which was dirty, filthy and full of cob webs not sure when the room was last cleaned,tried the tv this did not work asked for a move of room but this was same no tv working and room worse. in the night there was constant noise and banging of doors. after talking to somebody the place is used as a stop gap for the homeless. the next morning got up and whent down the back staircase instead of lift and when i got to ground floor corridor all outside most of bedroom doors there were rat mats which really put me off. rang the hotel from work later on that day and spoke to Carol on reception who did`nt care less and actually cut me off. whatever you do DONT STOP HERE.
Carnt believe this place is allowed to stay open come on BIRMINGHAM COUNCIL, CLOSE IT DOWN.

Room Tip: No tips its just rubbish
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
dorset england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a rip off -read other reviews -the hotel takes your money at reception (which looks ok)before you see the rooms. It is disgusting. We stayed 10 minutes and wiped our feet on the way out. Didn't even bother to speak with reception because the hotel is so filthy you wouldn't want to stay here anyway. It smells of curry,smoke,drugs and there are a lot of horrible people hanging about. DO NOT STAY HERE.

We found a lovely premier inn 100 metres down the road they fitted us in and were lovely.

Room Tip: DO not stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Its vile! If you have standards don't come here! Good job me and my fella are so loved up nothing puts a downer on us. Basic and springy bed, stinks of smoke! Won't be eating here in the morning will be finding a pub lol

• Stayed February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

i stayed in this lodging house on 25/26/27/1/2013,I arrived at approx 2 in the morning just wanted to sleep.I went for breakfast the next morning got to the lift when the door opened there was wet blobs of plaster on the floor went down to lobby and saw what only be described as homeless people hanging around lobby and out side this is when i realized it was a doss house never again
Irish

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Norfolk Hotel? Share your experiences!