“DO NOT STAY HERE! PAY AN EXTRA £5-10 TO STAY SOMEWHERE 1000 TIMES BETTER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Norfolk Hotel

You added Norfolk Hotel to your Saves list
Norfolk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 9NA, England (Formerly Comfort Inn Edgbaston)   |
Ranked #119 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY HERE! PAY AN EXTRA £5-10 TO STAY SOMEWHERE 1000 TIMES BETTER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is absolutely vile. There is not one good point about it. I booked a room using Hotels.com and they know about the serious issues I had with this hotel and have now taken this hotel off their website!

Minor issue was that there were no spaces in the car park (so we had to park on the side of the road). But then, we entered the hotel and all hell broke loose!

The receptionist was so so rude and impolite. I got the key and went up to my room. Had to go up to my room in the lift, which had the worst smell and was so filthy I didn't even want to put my bag on the floor! The hotel is like a building site to walk through, with doorways without doors and buckets/paint tins/bits of wood everywhere.

I got to the first floor and after about 10 minutes trying to find my room (there were room numbers missing off the doors so had to try my key in several doors before finding the one that worked) I managed to get inside. I wish I hadn't! The carpet was filthy, the bathroom was disgusting with filth all over, the toilet constantly dripped which would have kept me awake all night, the curtains were ripped and dirty, the window wouldn't shut, the chair had a weird stain on it, the doors wouldn't shut properly, a drawer was missing out of the dressing table (which I wouldn't have used either since that didn't look like it had been cleaned for ages), there were loose wires hanging out of the walls and ceiling... need I go on?! I pulled back the duvet on the bed and was disgusted to see hairs and stains on the sheets. The pillows were the same, and were so so thin and floppy. That was enough - and I went back downstairs after 5 minutes for a refund! Passed a few other guests who were either completely drunk or stoned. The whole hotel smelt of stale urine and cigarette smoke.

But that wasn't the end of it. I said that the room was unsatisfactory and asked for either a room in a better condition, or a refund. I was told that it was the only available room, and that I couldn't have a refund. Without any explanation. I said that there were so many things wrong with the room and it was a blatant health and safety hazard - please please PLEASE no one go there with young children in particular. The insultingly rude receptionist looked almost amused by my request, and just kept saying he wasn't going to refund me. He then attempted to say that I hadn't been charged, so why would I need a refund - I could just walk out without paying? I told him the money had gone out of my bank after paying through Hotels.com, so he said he needed proof of this otherwise there was no chance of a refund. So I asked about the 'free wifi' that was advertised so I could get my internet bank account on the screen - he said I had to pay £5 for it and that I could only use it in the lobby.

Another man then came into the reception and I explained to him that I needed a refund as there was no chance I'd get any sleep in that room, and I had a competition the next day so needed rest before that. He was as rude as the other one, just saying he couldn't do anything about a refund. The two men then kept talking in a foreign language that I couldn't understand, so I had no idea what they were saying. I also felt quite threatened, as they were getting angry and I was worried what they might do.

They then said that they couldn't offer a refund as the manager had to do that, that they had no power to do it, so if I went away and then came back the next day could get a refund then. Didn't trust them at all, so didn't move.

We were arguing for about an hour before another man came in. I explained to him, and he was possibly the only good thing about the hotel, but he should get a job somewhere else so he is more appreciated! He kept calm and told me that he could issue a refund there and then. I accepted this and he sorted it out in 2 minutes. I asked if he was the manager and he told me that no, he was someone who worked in the kitchen. So a member of kitchen staff had more power than receptionists to offer refunds?! Safe to say I wouldn't believe a thing the receptionists said, they were total liars.

Ended up driving up the M6 and staying in a Days Inn at a service station for just £10 more - so so so so so so SO worth it!

Repeat - please don't stay here. Even though it's low priced, it's also full of drunk/stoned guests, nasty smells, dirty rooms and filthy bedsheets, with horrible receptionists. Definitely worth paying just a few pounds more to stay somewhere (even just round the corner) that's so so so much better.

Room Tip: Just don't get a room in here and you'll be fine!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel should not be open to the public as it needs a public health warning!!!

On arrival they just wanted us to pay for the room upfront and stressed NO SMOKING IN THE ROOMS. I told them that we do not smoke or drink. On the way to our room with each turn the carpet looked like we were descending into HADES, it was dirty and the wallpaper was mouldy and stripping also there was a very bad smell of cigarette smoke and smoke from God's tree!(work it out).

The best was yet to come when we opened the room door the linen was dirty with hair, blood, and strange marks on everything. We got out of there pretty quick got or refund and checked in another hotel. Oh did we forget it's also a knocking shop so if you were a Foley Designer this is the place to go for authentic human sounds of the night.

PLEASE HEED OUR WARNING THIS PLACE IS VERY VERY BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever seen.
I'm used to staying in 2 and 3 star hotels but not this bad. We checked in and checked out within half an hour. poo on the bathroom wall,the smell of smoke and food in the room,dirty shower cubicle.apart from that it was great!!
I needed to wipe my feet on the way out!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Arrived to find they hadn't got my booking, even though I had an email confirmation, said they couldn't do anything cause hotel was full, didn't offer to call other hotels for us, was very rude when challenged, refused to give us our deposit back sayin it was yourbooking.com that has to do that, but no call to them was made.
manager walked off half way through a conversation cause he couldnt answer us.
Very poor service and while we was tryin to sort another hotel out a group of 78 people came in and they were told exactly the same thing, they hadn't booked and no room for them!!!!!
I will never use this hotel again and I recommend others dont.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is not for those of us who like a clean safe place to stay in. The whole place stinks of spicy food, the lift will probably not work. You will hear every noise, grunt and expletive through the walls. The wall paper is rapidly joining the thredbare carpets as an indication that the whole place needs closing down. The staff are unhelpful and quite oblivious to the need for fire safety or public health. However, if you work all day on a building or demolition site you will feel completely at home. Good luck.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This place is a hovel. We were greeted by the smell of stale curry at reception and a very bored receptionist who was too busy watching the TV to speak. We were told our room was on the third floor. We headed off towards the lift but it wasn't working so made our way up a very dark, dirty, damp-smelling staircase. The wallpaper was literally falling off the walls and the carpet was in shreds. I'm not sure what had caused all of the stains on the carpet and would really rather not know! When we eventually reached our 'no smoking' room, we were overpowered by a smell of stale cigarette smoke and urine. The light in the bathroom had a foil pie dish pushed behind the bulb to act as a reflector - I guess it's a good job it didn't work! The last straw was when we discovered that the previous occupants had left us a souvenir of their visit- the thread bare towels had skid marks on them! We headed back down to reception to demand a refund and left at top speed. We didn't even get an apology! Need I say - avoid this place at all costs!

england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Oh my God what a vile experience. Booked for one night with friends as we were going out to a casino. We were met by a very bored receptionist who could only keep one eye open and told us we were on the top floor but the lift was broken. We entered the stairs to an awful stink and dampness and the lights were not working. On entering the landing we found the stink worse and wallpaper peeling off the walls but could not find our room. In the end we saw a door with glue on it and wondered if it once had a number stuck to it and put the card in the door and it opened. I stepped into the room and the smell was like stale cigarettes mixed with damp.The carpet was vile. The bathroom plug had hair stuck to it and when I tried to wash it down the sink the tap came off. We checked out without staying. I was worried we may be murdered in out beds as the lock did not work. Stay away unless you want to catch a disease.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Norfolk Hotel? Share your experiences!