“Not the BEST of hotels” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edgbaston Palace Hotel

You added Edgbaston Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Edgbaston Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   198 - 200 Hagley Rd | Edgbaston, Birmingham B16 9PQ, England (Edgbaston)   |
Ranked #89 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Not the BEST of hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

After months of travelling to South east Asia, I finally arrive at my humble abode (Birmingham). I stayed here for two nights before returning to London - where I study and work. I was immediately shocked by the HUGE disparity between staff customer service in Vietnam and staff customer service in the UK. There is a much greater level of service abroad than here, not least because foreigners know how to smile!!! The receptionist man looked really cheesed off by the questions I was delivering.. However, the rooms were pleasant, not attractive but clean with the tiniest TV's I had ever seen in my entire 22 years. I seriously hope my review will motivate management/owners to implement a new wave of initiatives to at least consider competing with the greats (who keep going, going, going UP).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Southern England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked via Hotels.com and had a good journey to Birmingham even thought the tunnels were shut due to road works.

Booked in and was then asked for ID, I supplied my old style UK driving licence only to told by the staff that I didn't have any legal ID!

I explained that there is no requirement in the UK for UK nationals to have photo ID - only to be told that that it was a 'legal' requirement. I pointed out again that there was no legal requirement and suggested that this was a hotel requirement.

The response to this was that 'legal' ID requirement was part of the Terms and Conditions of booking. I explained that this information available to me at the time of booking via hotels.com.

At this point I really thought that we would have to find somewhere else to stay but eventually after taking a photocopy of my driving licence we were allocated a room but decided that we would not use any of the facilities on site. Room was rather small but clean.

Room Tip: There are many hotels in the area, we will use those on our next business trip.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Saw the negative reviews here after my partner had already booked for a 2 night stay so we were a little concerned. However, our fears were unfounded. All the staff were friendly & helpful & although we didn't use the bar or restaurant they looked welcoming.
Our room was spacious, well equipped & well maintained. There is ample free parking with a good choice of pubs/restaurants nearby. Birmingham city centre is within comfortable walking distance or there are plenty if buses.
We did have a room over looking the courtyard, which was a nice place to sit out. For me there was an issue on the first night with thoughtless guests sat out there, making a lot of noise until the early hours (probably the same sort of people who complain on here about not being allowed takeaway food in their rooms. I've never stayed in a hotel that allow that!) but my partner slept through it all. So unfair to blame the hotel about an additional facility they provide, that guests abuse. I would stay again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amersham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Doesn't look like much but we were there for the cricket, breakfast very good, rooms nice and clean, recommend, particularly if you are going to the cricket. Easy parking, good location for some local restaurants or an easy spin into town. Its a basic hotel but it had everything we needed. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

At first sight the hotel was lovely and clean, the staff were friendly and the room was just about right for two people. However, the flaws soon surfaced. Our shower was broken and because the bath was so small it was more of a problem. Then in the morning we woke up to no power and no hot water. We told the receptionist who simply replied "I'll make a note of that." We later complained via email and we are yet to receive a reply. Not a great stay, and left very unhappy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was unfortunate enough to stay in the rear end of the world hotel for 3 nights. I advise anyone ( even my enemy) to stay away.
As with all reviews, i break this into two basic thinkings, the building and the management.

Ok, the building.....typical English mid class hotel, Creaky stairs, 15 years of layers of white paint, utalitarian wired glass, old electrical installation, basicslly a bit on the shabby side, certainly in need of attention. The rooms are VERY basic and almost usable. The shower was really not up to much, but the bathroom looked recently renovated.

Now for the management. I am English by birth, however i live outside of the UK and have done for many years, myself and my wife travel a lot, both for business and pleasure. Sometimes we are lucky and get spoiled, other times we stay midddle of the road, so i believe i am qualified to differentiate between good and bad managament, and here we are talking the worst of the bunch, we are talking stupid decisions that make no sense at all. We are talking "little hitler" syndrome a it's best, we are talking jobsworthy hats all round.......basically i thought the full team were high on drugs, based on the decisions made.....they probably werent, but the rationale used was quite askew. One good example. Three of us were at the bar (one of them our new GM) we asked for drinks, time was about 9,30. We ordered one G&T, one whisky and one Bacardi & coke, all went well. Through chatting I learned that out new GM liked more lemon in his Bacardi Coke. I ordered another round, all good, asking for one extra slice of lemon in the Bacardi.....OMG, what had i done. This was an impossible request, explanations of camera systems over the bar, weight of lemons, price per TON of lemons, world availability of lemons etc......i asked for a SLICE of lemon. So, still not possible. I asked for the bar supervisor pls, he appeared and explained that due to the proffit and loss calculations of the hotel, we could not add one lemon slice extra to any drink, " imagine the annual cost of using 2 slices of lemon per drink"
Anyway, to cut a long story short, i bought 5 additional bacardis with lemon slices, drank the bacardi myself (no lemon is not an issue for me) and the person who prefferd additional lemon got his lemon.
So, he was correct, that extra lemon slice did indeed cost a lot of money, approx the hotel cost of my next busines trip Birmingham, where i will stay in the Holiday inn (and receive points also).

So, if you want a challenging stay where the staff are exhaustive at winding up their guests, stay at the edgbaston palace......i guarantee you wont bump into me there.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else, not in the edgbaston palace hotel,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wokingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a nit in July 2013. At the time of booking through Booking.com we were not informed that a school prom would be taking place, giving us the opportunity to book another hotel had we known. We had wanted to get an early night as we needed to be up very early the next morning but the noise from the school pupils in the courtyard, which our bedrooms looked out onto, was extremely loud. It was a hot night and windows needed to be open, but even with the windows closed it was impossible to sleep for the noise. Management assured us the noise would stop at 10.30. It did not. It was nearer 11.30. We also had a problem with the mattress in our room which had springs sticking up through the surface. We complained to the manager and he did offer us another room but we were told this was the only other room available and if we didn't like that there was nothing he could do. A bit of a take it or leave it! Not what I would expect from hotel management. The hotel generally needed an overhaul. Bits of the bath panel were broken etc. and I was a little unsure that there were working smoke alarms although I may be wrong on that. Obvious smoke alarms on the ceilings were incomplete although there may have been another system. The showers were also rubbish - so weak and we could not adjust them any higher. Having a shower with your knees bent is not good. I would not stay there again, although the breakfast was reasonable although a little expensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Edgbaston Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!