“Excellent city centre hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Burlington Hotel

You added Macdonald Burlington Hotel to your Saves list
Macdonald Burlington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Burlington Arcade | 126 New Street, Birmingham B2 4JQ, England (Ladywood)   |
Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Ilford, United Kingdom
“Excellent city centre hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I only had the pleasure to stay here for a night while attending an early business meeting, but thought it was a really good hotel. The location could not be better as you are right in the centre with all the shops and restaurants so it is very convenient. My room was lovely (I was lucky and got an upgrade I think) with comfy bed and nice bathrrom. The staff were very pleasant and I had a great night here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Jillydavies

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Burlington Hotel.

Yours sincerely
James Bee
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel was pleasant but I expected building work on shopping centre over the road to stop at night. Cranes operated right through the night and with ill fitting double glazing sleep was impossible. Avoid external rooms on South and West of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
James B, Manager at Macdonald Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Wyx459

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced as a result of the Birmingham New Street development program.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you we were unaware of any planned over night noisy works. The contractors involved in the development are not allowed to commence such works without first discussing them with the local businesses which may be affected. We work tirelessly with the project management team to ensure our guests are not adversely affected by construction noise. I am very sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and I assure you this has been addressed with Project Manager. .

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your comments to my attention and I do hope my assurances will afford me the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Burlington in the very near future.

Yours sincerely
James Bee
Deputy General Manager
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at the Burlington on a pre booked work training trip. From the moment I arrived I received outstanding customer service. The room was clean and tidy on my arrival and was cleaned every day. Room service and bar service was excellent and I was made to feel very welcome by all the staff.
Now for the bad. On arrival at a hotel in this day and age one of my first questions is about wi fi costs. I was told it was free. However, I was then informed that wi fi was only available on the ground floor or in the bar on the first floor. I find this very disappointing. Another negative is the strange noises the hotel seems to make through the night. The noises kept me up 2 out of the 4 nights I stayed and the other 2 nights I only slept so well as I was so tired. It's probably fair to state that there is major buildings work going on not far from the hotel currently which may have contributed to the noise through the night. The view wasn't brilliant but this is not something that bothers me so it is not an issue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I booked several roomsfor an event I organised in central Birmingham. The hotel staff were very helpful and got about 30 of us, who arrived at the same time, checked in very quickly and efficiently. The room was very comfortable and spacious. The location is just right for events in the centre of the city. The only thing that let it down was the room service breakfast. You have to tick the items you want on a card which you hang on the bedroom door. I received one egg, a half a tomato, one mushroom, which I requested and - this I didn't request as I am vegetarian - two rashers of bacon. I think the price of the room service breakfast is £17.95 (although it was included in our room rate), so it represents very poor value for money indeed. I also had to pay £3 delivery for it! This could easily be rectified by being more generous with the portions. It was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I found the experience of this hotel just leaving me thinking "why is this hotel not being run to its full potential?" Firstly there could not have been a bigger contrast in customer service between the two reception staff with the male employee thinking its acceptable customer service to talk over and abruptly to guests, when the phone rang complained to me and my boyfriend about having to answer it. I had to go down to the reception twice and both times he was incredibly rude and left me wondering how he had ever been employed in a customer service role! However the female employee was really helpful and friendly espcially when we had a problem with the first room. The first room had a couple of problems such as the TV not working fully, this was sorted once we had moved, and we had been placed into a room which had extensive building works outside which were to start again at 8am. I know this is not the hotels fault however the last thing you want it to be woken early on one of your only days off to the sound of drills etc. We were moved into a second room which was a much better room... the view was awful but we were not there for the view and it is a city centre hotel. However like I have previously said there is so much potential for this hotel... the carpet had a large stain on which had just ben covered with a rug, the curtain tie was hanging off the wall... to me it is just general small decoration and interior aspects which could be easily rectified and make the hotel such a better experience.

The only other thing we happened to find weird was a woman approaching us in the hall way with a clip board asking if we wished to stop smoking. We kept seeing her walking around the hotel with people asking them questions.

Altogether it was just an average visit but if someone just invested a little more money it'd be such a lovely experience. I think I maybe critical as I have stayed in hotels of the same star value that are much better...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our experience at this hotel was almost faultless, the service was great, in particular they let us leave our luggage until it was time to check in. As our room hadn't been prepared, we were upgraded to a better room at no extra cost. Like the rest of the hotel, the room was stylish and comfortable. The only problem was that the three double-glazed windows didn't fit, and consequently the room was cold and draughty. Closing the curtains and turning up the radiators rectified the problem in the bedroom, but as bathroom had neither curtains nor a heat source, it remained unpleasantly cold. Apart from this slight problem, the room and the bed were very comfortable and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We've stayed at the Burlington before and enjoyed it enormously: The hotel is beautiful, spacious, perfectly placed and the staff really understand customer service. This stay we were treated to the Percy Gravett suite - which was fabulous! It overlooks the main New Street, is incredibly spacious and comfortable and was beautifully clean. We dined at the hotel restaurant, as we have done before. The food was really good, staff friendly and helpful and the menu had changed since our last stay just two months ago. I'm going to have a problem staying anywhere but here when I next return to Birmingham.... Many thanks to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Percy Gravett Suite - Room 325 - really comfortable, beautiful and perfectly placed.