“New Year In Style - At Gala Ball!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

You added Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel to your Saves list
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham B40 1PP, England   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #66 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Warhol250
“New Year In Style - At Gala Ball!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at this fantastic Hotel over the New Year period. We stayed in a spacious executive room, which was modern and comfortable - this also included access to the executive lounge with complimetary bar. Entertainment at the Gala Ball was provided by a superb live group, the food was excellent and staff were plentiful and attentive. We found the leisure facilities to be comprehensive - gym, pool, jacuzzi etc and had a thoroughly relaxing time. The Hotel is close to both Birmingham Airport & the NEC with a complimentary shuttle service to the Air/Rail link. We used the train to go shopping in the city centre - fast, clean & cheap! - sadly my wife spent all the savings.

• Liked — Efficent staff - excellent room
  • Disliked — exterior facade
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

From our arrival we experienced great customer service. We needed a hotel to stop at on our way up to Scotland and wanted somewhere that wasn't far from the M6 where we (mom, dad, kid) could stay with our dog. I booked a "family room" online and was pleasantly surprised to see how spacious it was. A regular bed plus a pull out couch/bed which was perfect for our son. The room was spotless.

Breakfast buffet was included in our room price and there was a good variety of food. We didn't swim but the indoor pool looked very inviting and filled with light.

We have never stayed in a hotel with our dog before. But it worked out fine. Around the hotel there are extensive sidewalks which made the morning "walkies" easy - plus bins for trash.

Overall, I found the Hilton excellent value, convenient and it more than surpassed my expectations.

• Liked — Service, Convenience, Price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Very unhappy with my stay at the hotel. Was charged twice for the room and still looking at getting this resolved.

My details were somehow totally incorrect upon checking in, wrong address and room rates on my booking. The staff did not know how this had happened and insisted everything was ok. Upon checking out i was asked for my card details again even though i had already paid in advance and my card had already been debited. I was assured by the reception staff that this was procedure and that my account would not be debited but then as expected i did end up getting charged twice for a completely different amount so i am assuming my details were mixed up with someone elses and i got charged for it twice.

The reception staff did really not have a clue what had gone on with my booking. Trying to sort out a refund has been a load of hassle too and i have had to explain things to numerous people and fax off documents. Hopefully the refund will arrive in due course but i aint too optimistic.

Overall very dissappointing from a so called top brand and hotel. Not worth the hassle at all, will give the Hilton a complete miss in the future. The staff didnt seem to have any knowledge. Spa was attrocious more of a little paddling pool to be honest, the jets were very weak and kept switching off.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff and company incompatance
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midlands, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

From the convenient courtesy pick up at Birmingham International to the very polite and helpful reception received on arrival, our stay at Metropole Birmingham was excellent. Received an upgrade to executive floor with access to executive lounge which was very nice. The rooms were first class with very comfy beds and no noise. No complimentary water, slippers or bathrobe though which was unusual for Hilton executive floor. The food in restaurant was delicious though expensive. Overall, an excellent stay and recommended if you opt for or are upgraded to executive room.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roskilde, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

I was going to Birmingham as a part of a tour, and when I saw that we were booked into Hilton I did not consider the low standard as an option - BIG mistake.

First as I came in a day earlier than planned, I called to have my room availble a day early. This was confirmed but when I arrived they did not have my room and were fully booked. After quite some discussions with the not so friendly staff, i finally got a room. if you can call it a room.

The room was the smallest room I have even been in, the radiator could not be adjusted so the heat was harder to survive than the fact that I had no internet though guaranteed when booking, that the only power plug in the room was out of order so I could not charge my phone or my laptop.

I went to the front desk to give in my complaints and try get another room, and was told they would upgrade me the day after. Just to avoid misunderstandings, I booked a room with a king size bed, internet etc. and now I, if lucky, would be upgraded to the type of room I booked. The next morning when politely asking to my "upgrade" I was told that they could not offer me another room. Quick thinking - I checked out and moved 500 m to the neighbour hotel. Half the price, 3 times bigger room, wonderful staff.

Long story short - this should not be a 4* hotel - dont expect it, if you want 4* go to the neighbour hotel which is actually only 3 *. Confused ? me too.......

• Liked — When I checked out
  • Disliked — When I checked in
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

We decided to stay here as it was close to the LG Arena only 5 mins walk away, the outside of this hotel is truely awful and doesnt do the hotel any justice. It seems the hotel allows anybody to park in their car park so when we arrived late at 8pm the car park which has 700 spaces was nearly full and the only place we could park as at the side of the hotel next to what looked like a scrap heap with broken down cars and large containers. I personally think a hotel car park should be for paying guest only and not for people visiting the NEC or LG Arena. Once in the hotel your opinion changes, its a good typical Hilton hotel, the reception staff were very polite and the lobby and bar areas are very nice. The breakfast the next day was excellent with everything you need to start the day with. We used the pool and spa the next morning which was ok and clean but nothing special.

I think this hotel is perfect for a stopover night but only if you can get a good rate.

• Liked — How close it was to the LG arena
  • Disliked — The outside area of the hotel and lack of car parking space
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GUESTSERVICESEXEC, Guest Services Executive at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2008
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review in respect of your recent visit to the hotel.
The hotel does have some 700 car parking spaces which are normally adequate to accommodate most of our guests, given that the hotel has 800 bedrooms. When our car parks are full, we would try and direct guests to the NEC owned car parks opposite the hotel and I am sorry if this was not made clear to you. I apologise for the condition of the car park you used. The hotel has been undertaking an extensive refurbishment and this car park has been used to house storage containers. These containers should be removed by the end of December.

I was pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was satisfactory.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We value all customer opinion to ensure we continue to provide the quality of service our guests expect.
cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

We stayed here for one night in November 2008. All staff that we had contact with were polite and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean and what we expected. Breakfast was good and plentiful. The spa area, pool and gym were better than most hotels. Ideal location for concerts at the arena, literally no more than 5 minutes walk from the rear of the hotel. Not impressed with the bar meals or the price of drinks!However would stay again if there is a good deal on offer.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — bar prices
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!