“functional” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel to your Saves list
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham B40 1PP, England   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £79
Ranked #68 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
Reading, United Kingdom
“functional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

One night stay en route a business meeting. Just an OK place to get some sleep. Very busy that evening, lots of party-goers, leaving other guests feeling a bit neglected. So, a hurried, unfriendly check-in (although check out far better). Room good, smart and clean.

Room Tip: This is a very large hotel - so some long walks to get to/from reception
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Doug

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us.

i am sorry you felt your check in experience was less than our usual warm friendly welcome. Your comments will be shared with the Front Office Manager and I can assure you that this is certainly not typical of the normal helpful and friendly attitudfe of our team at the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity to demonstrate our usual high levels of service on a future visit.

2,313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a large convention type hotel located near to Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International Railway Station. It is situated adjacent to the National Exhibition Centre. A complimentary shuttle service operates between the property and the Airport/Railway Station. You should call ahead and let them know you require the shuttle and the property will give you instructions.

The hotel lobby is huge and there are various wings of the hotel. Gold Hilton Honours Status was recognised and consequently I was upgraded to a Queen Executive Room with access to the Executive Lounge. Complimentary alcoholic drinks and food were served between 18:00 and 20:30. It is worth noting that breakfast is offered complimentary to gold and diamond members as well as complimentary internet access.

I must say that the buffet breakfast was excellent with a varied and well stocked selection of items.

The room itself was huge and had all the usual facilities. All in all this was a very good value for money stay, which exceeded expectations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

I am so pleased that we managed to exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Our Executive rooms are very popular with guests and offer huge value for money.

Glad to see that you also enjoyed the Hilton breakfast - another great hit with guests..

We look forward to offering you a warm welcome when you visit us again.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I would like to thank everyone at the Hilton Birmingham for accommodating us before our travels around Europe. Amazing stay.
On arrival was greeted by Andrea on reception who was very polite and efficient but most importantly welcoming. The room is what one would expect of Hilton the perfect crisp white bed with a large tv and spacious bathroom. The leisure club, which was a nice surprise I must say is very nice and relaxing with a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and a wide variety of spa treatments. The staff at the leisure club were also very polite, one of the staff lent me a coin seeing that I forgot to bring one down for the lockers. Further in our evening we retreated to the bar for a snack which was very nice the atmosphere was nice as well, quite full for a Monday night but there were a number of conferences on, yet without delay we received our meals.

On checkout Lois on reception was once again very polite, efficient and wished us an amazing onward journey. We continued to go onto the shuttle bus as we were travelling from Manchester airport. Michael the shuttle bus driver was very kind and drove us on our way.

All in all an amazing stay, highly recommend it if you are travelling from Birmingham airport due to its proximity but also for a weekend away to go to the leisure club.

Thank you!!

• Stayed June 2013
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Emonstellano

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review!

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you were looked after so well by our team and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We always aim to make everyone feel welcome and still offer the highest levels of service. I am glad that you had the opportunity to use our Leisure Club too - one of the biggest hotel pools in the UK!

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope you have a fanstic time travelling around Europe.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Me and my family stayed as we were attending a concert. The location was fantastic and easy to find. There was a massive games conference being held that weekend and I felt that, unless we were attending, service was poor. It seemed there was insufficient staff working in the evening and a member of my party waited an hour and a half for some room service chips. The poor lad who delivered them looked like he'd delivered to every room that evening and we felt sorry for him. The lounge area wasn't cleared for a good two hours when we returned for a drink after our concert.
Breakfast in the morning was fab - a large selection of food was available but felt the service could of been more attentive.
Sorry, I won't be in hurry to return.

Room Tip: Rooms were adequate, clean and comfy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Foodie300

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay at the hotel.

Whilst I was pleased that you had found the hotel faciltiies as you would have expected, I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with regards to service. We were exceptionally busy during the time of your visit but that should not detract from our aim to deliver efficient service. Please accept my apologies for any delays you incurred.

I do hope you reconsider visiting us again in the near future.

retford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel us huge

My husband and I booked in for Champagne lunch for my hubbys birthday

There was a wedding and a Gaming Exhibition on when we arrived

We booked a table beforehand and I mentioned it was for a celebration and we were given a cramped table for two right near the toilets

The food however was delicious - finger sandwiches, cakes and champers

We stayed for just over an hour and it cost £7 to park - This was a bit off putting had I not booked and paid for the lunch we would probably not have stayed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michele

Thank youf or taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was of course delighted to see that you had enjoyed your Champage Afternoon Tea - which is very popular with many of our guests. I regret that you were slightly disappointed with the location of your table, due to high demand in this area at the time, we were sadly unable to offer an alternative.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Max R ;Flude
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Undoubtedly this hotel's star attraction is its proximity to the NEC, and ultimately that's why a lot of people will choose this hotel. When we stayed here there were also a large number of delegates attending several different courses, held within the hotel itself. This gave it a commercial feel.
We found noise a problem: on the wednesday night (ie not even weekend) there was a VERY noisy black tie do which sent bass noise thumping through that part of the hotel into the early hours.
My room was not adequately clean, with dirt on the marble floor tread into the bathroom, and there were holes in the wallpaper in the corridor where, presumably, old appliances such as a fire extinguisher had been taken away, and the holes not filled in.
WiFi was charged at £15 a night... Needless to say, I didn't take them up on that.
So, in summary, not a restful hotel,I'd say, more functional. Having said that, the hotel staff were very pleasant and the food ok.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking over the function room in order to minimise noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Roger

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

Although we are a large hotel, we do aim to offer a warm welcome to all our guests. I am sorry you were disturbed by a function taking place in the hotel at the time of your stay.

Yuor comments regarding the cleanliness of the floor in your room and the corridor wallpaper have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for their attention.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future for a more restful visit, as we do have a large of visitors to stay with us for leisure purposes, who enjoy the hotel's many leisure faciltiies.

Director of Opertiions
Glastonbury, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night for a concert at the NEC and I can't recommend it highly enough!
The location is brilliant - how great was it to be back in the hotel within 10 minutes of the show ending, rather than fighting with the thousands of others trying to get out of the NEC car parks. It is also within an easy walk of Birmingham International station as well so getting to and from the show by train was no problem Reception was polite and efficient, the room was a decent size and very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. There is also a pool and gym at the hotel. Whilst not using the gym, I did take advantage of the pool, sauna and steam room, all of which were spotlessly clean and surprisingly under used, considering how busy the hotel was.

The reason I chose this hotel was its proximity to the NEC, but it was a first rate stay and I will certainly be using it again and would wholeheartedly recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Wow ! What a great review - thank you.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are indeed ideally located for easy access to the NEC and LG Arena, which makes staying at the hotel a perfect choice when you're i the area.

I was delighted to see you took advantage of our Leisure Club - maybe you'll fit in a work out in the gym next time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thanks again for the recommendation.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!