“Good facilities, rooms very inconsistent in quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

You added Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel to your Saves list
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham B40 1PP, England   |
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #65 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good facilities, rooms very inconsistent in quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stay regularly at this hotel on business and it can be a flawless stay, however, I find the rooms vary massively depending which part of be hotel you are in.

The older rooms, which are I think room numbers less than 1000, when I have been in these, they are single rooms, very old. one i stayed in the TV was nearly off the wall and the toilet. Very small rooms with single beds against the wall, old wall radiators that are a nightmare to control the temperature, very outdated.

On one occasion, last month, there was a huge corporate dinner night, which was below these rooms, the loud music was on until 1am, and the function did not finish until 3am, the noise of people being just as loud as the music was. Hilton is at first a hotel, not a conference centre, the wellbeing of guests should be considered before conferences. I am aware there was several complaints about the noise that night.

If I had stayed here only on these occasions where I have had these poor rooms this trip advisor review would be one star, two at a push due to the facilities.

One random thing is that the internal costa coffee shop within the hotel is double the price of normal ones, a small latte is £4.50. This is strange as hiltons in London with costa's inside are priced at normal rates around £2.50?? You would expect the opposite, not sure the justification in the crazy price.

On the plus side, The rating been redeemed slightly due to the good stays I have also had. When you do get a decent room, they are good and I have also had many stays which would give no reason to complain about, again, if rating those stays alone, probably around 4 stars. The food service is generally fast, the pool is the biggest I have seen in any hotel, ideal if you we're taking the family too.

It was a shame when I complained, despite being a silver hhonours member and having a catalogue of failures on a single stay, I was still not offered a refund, only a upgrade on a next visit, which although I appreciate, fails in comparison with a premier inn good night guarantee.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room! If given a room in lobby area B, this is the older part, try to move...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Cumiska

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I can advise that the next phase of our refurbishment will incorporate our single rooms and is due to take place very shortly.

I do regret that you were disturbed due to loud music from a function, we usually allocate those rooms likely to be affected by noise to those attending the function, and would apologise that we were unable to do so on this occasion.

Although you hve stayed with us on many occasions, I am pleased that you have taken a balance view of your findings.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
north west
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here for two nights at conference .Night one went for dinner with a group of around 16 to Millers restaurant big big big mistake . Took over two and a half hours to have two courses Service was a disaster food quality poor and portion sizes that wouldn't feed a sparrow !!.As portions were so small the restaurant manager suggested we should have several bowls of chips ! these arrived with the dessert say no more .All in all it was a very poor experience and should be avoided at all costs . Complained to the food & beverage manager who was very defensive and arrogant after much discussion he agreed to rebate the service charge and no more ! what planet is this man on he sigularly would stop you retuning to this venue. The remainer of the conference was very average .As others have found the room heating is a problem however this was resolved by a very pleasant duty engineer, maybe he could train the F&B manager in how to deal with the customer .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear VSPNorthWest

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was very surprised to read your comments regarding the qualityy and service you received in Millers. We normally receive very high praise indeed for our restaurants. However, your feedback is taken on board and I was pleased to see that your service charge had been removed by way of apology for any disappointment.

We do hope despite your disa[ppointment on this occasion we may welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Recently stayed at Hilton Birmingham Metropole. First stay on business for a conference and stayed two nights. Clean, comfortable single room with all I needed. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Caz

I was so pleased that you had enjoyed your visit and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Glossop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A very big bustling hotel which for the most part copes well with the number of guests. Breakfast was of a good quality and the pool area was very pleasant. Only disappointment was the bedroom. Rather small and basic. It did have an air conditioning unit but it struggled to keep the room cool enough.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear MistyTT

Thank you for providing your feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and your visit to the pool area . When you next visit, perhaps I could suggest one of our larger rooms may suit your requirements better.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Derby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I was in the process of posting a review on Tripadvisor, when I decided to pause and ask for the hotel's comments in a letter before posting my review. Looking at some of the recent comments and the hotel's replies, there are many positive reviews so it is very unfortunate that our experience was very much at the negative end.
I have had a poor reply to my letter, together with a gift voucher for £25. As the reply did little to re-assure me, it is unlikely this voucher will be used - I will go out of my way to never again stay at a Hilton in UK or any other country. This will be in spite of holding an HHonors Gold card.

The letter I sent to the hotel follows without further comment:
Dear Sirs,
My complaint is on 2 aspects – my poor treatment as a HHonors Gold member, but also simply the poor value for money of the room.
On arrival, the person at reception was polite, and check in was efficient. I was advised that a room upgrade was not available, as the hotel was fully booked. This was completely understandable and understood. We were advised that a VIP package would be sent to our room as a goodwill gesture.
Soon after arriving in our room, the VIP package arrived which consisted of 2 cookies and 2 bottles of water. After thinking about this. I decided to go back to reception, and specifically to the HHonors reception. I stated that I considered the VIP package to be insulting, and it would have been preferable to offer and provide nothing. The receptionist’s response was that they had never had any complaints about the VIP package previously, and not offering any apology I asked that my complaint be referred to a Manager. Five minutes later, I was advised that she had been authorised to have wine sent to our room.
By the time I got back to the room, a 18.7cl bottle and 1 glass had arrived. This was hardly enough to resolve my complaint and made me more angry, but having already been in the hotel for over half an hour and things to do before our night out I was not prepared to waste more time on this.
My wife then started discussing the quality and price of the room I had booked, and I went back to my reservation of December 1, 2011 to see what I had actually booked. On the same day I booked tickets for Andrea Bocelli I decided to treat my wife to a special night out and booked the Queen deluxe room. At the booked price of over £200, which is more than I normally ever pay for a hotel room, I had expected something a bit special. This room was not. There was no safe, mini bar, slippers, dressing gowns, the glazing was poor and not tight to the seals, the shower was within the bath, only enough toiletries and glasses for 1 person, and 5 lights were either not operating at all or incorrectly. I called housekeeping as there was no throw on the bed as described and illustrated on the website but told this had not been the case for over a year in the hotel.

After we got ready to go to the LG Arena, I sent an SMS message to Frida Ludvig asking her to contact me. I got a reply soon after but was by then at the concert.

Unfortunately I have had to stay in hotels for 50 nights this year of which 20 have been since September 1, and I know I still have at least another 15 nights which have already been planned. This is the most expensive room I have stayed in this year at £224 including parking, and the poorest value for money. With hindsight we should have got a taxi from Derby and back; it would have been cheaper. But I was trying to make the evening a bit more special than just the concert. It was £224 totally wasted.

I await your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Mike

We are disappointed that you feel our offer of compensation was inadequate. Whilst we were extremely sorry that we were unable to offer you a complimentary upgrade during your last stay due to high occupancy levels, you will be aware, complimentary upgrades are subject to availability. When an upgrade is unavailable a VIP package is offered in place. Clearly a full bottle of wine and two glasses should have been sent to your room by way of apology and I regret that this was not the case.

All of our guest rooms are provided with a safe and apologise if this may not have been apparent to you. Slippers and robes are provided in our Executive rooms and suites only. Unfortunately, none of our rooms have a mini bar facility.

I would ask you to accept my apologies for the maintenance issues experienced in your room and would assure you that it is not typical of the high standards that normally prevail at this hotel.

We hope you reconsider visiting us at some point in the future.

Ederveen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Birmingham Hilton one night on business. I had a single room and although being a Gold Honors member I did not have any luck getting an upgrade.
When I stepped into my room I thought I stepped out of a time machine. By opening the door I went 20 years back in time. The rooms is very very small and simply outdated. I find this not up to standard for a hotel in 2012 that charges prices as the Hilton does.

Upside was the dinner I had, steak was really nice. Even tough not cheap it was worth it. Breakfast was good too.

I do not think I would stay here again any time soon, prefer the HGI or the Hamptons downtown Birmingham

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mike

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry we were unable to offer a complimentary upgrade on this occasion due to high occupancy levels. I can advise that the next phase of our refurbishment will incorporate our single rooms which is due to commence shortly.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your dining experiences and do hope you will reconsider visiting us again.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed for two nights in the Hilton Metropole. I had stayed there before and so knew to look forward to the fantastic breakfast and the great bar food also.
There was a problem with the heating in my room and the maintenance man (I think it was Michael) who was so lovely to explain to reception about the heating problem but also helped me to move to my new room. He was so helpful and kind. And thank you Hilton for the lovely executive room I was moved to. The staff on both occassions have been just lovely and make guests feel very comfortable. Hats off to the very patient shuttle bus driver who had some very indecisive passengers on one trip to the airport. I was glad I stayed here again. Looking forward to staying with you again in the future.

Room Tip: Was delighted to be able to upgrade online post booking with very affordable options.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Peadarob

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our staff. We always aim to make everyone's stay a memorable and pleasurable experience and I am glad that you were impressed with levels of service you received.

We look fowrard to welcoming you back again shortly.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Address: National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham B40 1PP, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > West Midlands > Birmingham
#5 Spa Hotel in Birmingham
#20 Luxury Hotel in Birmingham
Hotel Class:4 star — Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel 4*

Hilton Birmingham Metropole is a well-connected and easily accessible Hotel in walking distance to Birmingham International Station linking to Birmingham Airport. Regular complimentary shuttle ensures guests will only be minutes from the airport and railway station. Park & Fly options are available at the hotel.

With a great location next to the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) and LG Arena, it is an ideal choice for attending events and fairs and from 2015 attending the Resorts World Complex with Casino, shopping outlets and Cinema. The hotel provides superior leisure facilities onsite with Ocean Rooms Spa, LivingWell Health club featuring Fitness Room, Indoor heated pool, Sauna and Steam room. Food and Beverage Outlets include two restaurants and a 24 hour Lounge Bar, with Room Service available all day long. Free Wifi is available in Public Areas. For those travelling as a family, enjoy dedicated family rooms accommodating 2 adults and 2 children as well as children-friendly amenities and services.

Easily accessible by rail, road and air networks , the hotel is at the hub that connects Birmingham International Airport and the International Railway station with the M42, M6 and M40. Birmingham City Centre and Regional attractions such as Warwick Castle, Cadbury World and Stratford-upon-Avon are easily accessible.

The hotel is also largest accommodation and convention centre outside London with 790 guest rooms and suites, 33 flexible function rooms for meeting and events from 2 to 2,000 people and an experience team. This is where it all happens. ... more   less

TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel Birmingham
Birmingham Hilton

If you own or manage Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.