“Best Bar in Birmingham by Far!!” 5 of 5 stars

0121 643 2233
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chameleon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #532 of 1,444 restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best Bar in Birmingham by Far!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wow what a night!

Went out with a mix of friends for early Christmas drinks and food, even though I had heard mixed rumours about Chameleon we thought it was worth a look. I am pleased to say it was the best night out I have had in ages and this is by far the best bar in Birmingham. We were welcomed by extremely polite and professional door staff, and then on entering we realised what a classy looking place this was. Food was very good and there seemed to be a very good range of options and prices. There was a really nice atmosphere inside and I have heard it's quite hard to get in, but to be honest this shows as there were no people inside that looked out of place so I am guessing the door team do a their job in keeping the troubled people out! We stayed late into the night, a real mix of music! Even on the way out we were politely thanked and shown to the available taxi's.

I will going again soon and can't wait to get the Chameleon experience once more.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Birmingham
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Excellent food and Cocktail choice on offer. The staff were very helpful and friendly atmosphere was relaxing just what we were after.

Visited December 2012
“ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The food was truly awful! Lukewarm turkey, potatoes and vegetables arrived after everyone finished the rest of course. Security staff rude and arrogant and to top it off my colleagues mobile phone was stolen from table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coventry
“Great atmoshphere - poor food. Don't eat there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Great place to be if you want somewhere buzzing. We went for the Christmas menu. Starter was ok although no dressing for the side salad. Turkey was that commercial stuff they buy in that's the pressed meat. One slice of white meat and one slice of darker meat. Not at all appetizing. We get that in the staff canteen at work for £3.60!!!. The potatoes were not roasted. They were fried. Sprouts like bullets (I like them firm but not that firm). You can get a much better meal than that for £29.50 a head. Very dissapointed. Oh yes - and we were crammed in to tables so I had to keep my elbows well tucked in. I'm not a big person. More on the petite side! So not even a comfortable experience. I'm surprised they have anyone eating there. There's a lot of competition in Birminham centre. They want to watch out that people don't vote with their feet. And the toilet's weren't the best either.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“unapolegetically discriminating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked a booth for birthday celebrations. On the phone the staff were polite and helpful, this was useful as i paid £200 for a table in the end i could barely use. I had been there a number of times in the past without problems from door staff. It does however appear Chameleon may feel that there are too many asian in thier bar. Me an my guests (initially 4) arrived at 8.50 and were told that we had to be on a guest list to even enter?? they subsequently stopped just about every asian who tried to gain entry. One of thier own waitresses came and said to our table, you cvant be from birmingham we have never seen such a glamourous group ( we had made the effort as it was a special occasion). Our guests were treated appalingly, refused entry beacuse' you know what groups of asians are like' and not smart enough, ( this was said to a guest in a suit?!).
they were being told that they had to be on a guest list while other non asian guests were allowed entry without any question and even one group of men who were in trainers.

I had an awful night, the whole group felt discriminated and i dont suggest that anyone of colour go. Check to see how many people of colour are in, if they have more than the 10 or so they probably need to tick the ' we are inclusive and adopt equal opportunities' box then you wont get in. Dont waste a penny on this place they are not deserving of your custom.

• Visited November 2012