“A fair meal” 4 of 5 stars

0121 643 5605
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zizzi - Birmingham is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #304 of 1,591 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.The beautiful refurbishment of the Royal Mail's main sorting office (hence the Mailbox name) has produced a premier shopping destination in the heart of Birmingham. And inside you’ll find our Birmingham Zizzi. Our restaurant is split into 2 main areas. Our raised floor area is great for large tables or parties with some funky light fittings to get into the party mood. And in contrast, the lower area (towards the large windows), draws more on the canal and outdoor theme, with large floating cloud-like light fittings hanging lazily overhead for a more relaxed vibe. With outdoor seating for sunny day dining and only a stone’s throw from the city centre’s attractions our restaurant in the Mailbox is the perfect way to end your day out. Dine al fresco with an outdoor dining area for sunny weather.
Worcester, Uk
“A fair meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked online for a Saturday evening and when we arrived at the restaurant the table was ready and it had a lovely view across the canal basin.

We had two starters and shared them between us - the bread basket which was fabulous Italian bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and arancini with a cold tomatoes and red pepper dip (the dip would have been even better warm).

For mains I had the beef salad - I thought it was odd that there was no dressing with the salad; but the steak was lovely and salad was fresh and crisp. My husband had the Pork Fillet special, I didn't taste his meat, but the ratatouille was yummy and the little roast potatoes tasted rustic.

Being good I didn't have a pud, but hubby had the Panetone bread and butter pudding with Mascarpone icecream. He said it was light and full of flavour.

My only complaint about this chain store restaurant is why are you serving hot tea in a glass?? It's just odd.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Shifnal, United Kingdom
“30th Wedding Anniversary celebrations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had booked a table for 22:30hrs and had commented in my electronic booking that it was to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary following a trip to the theatre. On arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne and warm messages from the staff. We were then treated to a fantastic meal in a wonderful, vibrant atmosphere. It was really busy on arrival so we did worry if service or the quality of the food would take a dip. Well, we were blown away by the efficiency of the staff, how informative they were on any item on the menu and by the quality of the food. Each course arrived beautifully presented and either piping hot or correctly chilled as required. The staff were so nice...it could not have been better. A perfect end to a perfect evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Good Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great little Italian restaurant where we met friends for dinner. Good food and wine. It got a bit noisy as the evening wore on so we left to have a quieter conversational setting.

Visited September 2013
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Relaxed but great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Third visit this has to be a favourite food is great service even better
Great atmosphere even when busy
Try a sharing platter and sides very enjoyable

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food. "Odd" waiter. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I will begin by admitting I LOVE ZIZZI's. It is in my top 10 of restaurant chains. So it goes without saying I knew what to expect and I knew what type of food ambience service etc I would receive pretty much before I arrived.

I wasn't disappointed. This particular outlet was very much what I anticipated.

The food was good quality and delicious. I ate the Zizzi Fish Stew which was piping hot and full of delicious fish with a hearty broth. Superb! My all time favourite Zizzi meal alas has been removed from the menu but the stew made a good second choice.

The decor/ambience was great but let's be honest when you've been to one Zizzi restaurant you could argue you've been to them all as far as surroundings are concerned!

This brings me to the waiter. First of all I would like to say he was terrific. But very "odd". He obviously cared passionately about providing the best service he could but I have never seen anyone rush around as much as he did but achieve so little!! The restaurant was not particularly busy but you could swear he was rushed off his feet. He was running around like a whirling dervish but getting nowhere -FAST! A word of advice my friend calm down it only a restaurant. He was making me quite dizzy. But never the less the "cabaret" he provided was entertaining and kept me amused whether that was his intention or not! I somehow think it was not!

Highly recommended.