“Excellent - ignore bad reviews” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #478 of 1,688 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: mainly italian dishes with many specials of the day
kent
“Excellent - ignore bad reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant offers a relaxed and informal dining experience, great value for money and excellent decor. Not sure what people mean when they say they were expecting more, it's not a fine dining restaurant and when you can get a decent main course for £12 what do you expect? Go to Jamie's more formal restaurants if you want to be 'wowed'! This place is excellent for the money and we will be back for more!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Exceeded my expectations - great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Came here today, as a birthday treat for my sister. Have both wanted to come and try this place for ages but reluctant for a few reasons - is it just a cash-in on Jamie Olivers name, and given that we both have bad reactions to chilli (and given that chilli is used in virtually all of his dishes) would there be anything we could eat?

I booked several weeks ago, but we were hungry about 30 minutes before our booking so we went in asking if we could take our table already - this was no problem and we were immediately seated.

I have to immediately give a special mention to our waitress who was exceptional - right from the start, giving us a detailed breakdown on the specials. We mentioned the situation with chilli and that we needed to avoid it at all costs. After placing our order on dishes we all agreed looked safe she came back to tell me that having talked to the chef, one of the dishes was marinaded in chilli and that I should ideally pick something else - and she made a few recommendations. Nothing seemed too much trouble, and she seemed genuinely concerned and determined to make sure we didn't get something which would give us trouble.

The food was excellent. Portions were more than ample. Ambience was nice and it was very busy. I guess my only gripe would be with my salad - I had the pear and prosciutto salad, but found it to be excessively seasoned - there was far too much salt in there and I came very close to asking them to take it back but came over all British and just ate it. It was a shame as it was otherwise a superb dish.

The bill was £63 for two starters, two main means and several glasses of prosecco - which I felt was fair.

I would without doubt return here.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“I think I expected a bit more.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Starting with the positives. The pasta is fresh and never overcooked. The portions are of the right size and the range of fresh vegetables used quite intereting and appealing. The side orders were tasty and there was a good range. So what did I expect? I think I was looking for a bit of fizz and sparkle. I also expected the service to be better. IIt was noisy and rushed. I really did not feel that the staff knew what they were doing and to all intents and purposes it did matter, because I was only the customer. Brash, blase and in love with themselves, some of them. I just wish I could say something else.

Visited April 2012
Birmingham
“Silly over-sights lose it full marks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Went here very recently for a friends 40th birthday. All the staff on the door including security were very welcoming, polite and in spite of being very busy, we were shown straight to our booked table. We had a table within a kind of booth which was very nice and intimate; the restaurant is vlovely to look at but we were all glad not to be seated elsewhere, as within the larger dining area it was too open for our liking - more like a fancy dining hall than a restaurant.

The waitress was extremely polite and helpful; she really couldn't do enough to make our dining experience as pleasant and smooth as possible. Importantly, we didn't feel rushed to order, or move through the courses. In fact there was no pressure to leave at all, even once we'd finished eating which is rare outside of the Mediterranean in my experience.

I was surprised to find that at 6.30pm there were already items 'off' the menu. Also, there wasn't a lot of choice on the specials board, just one starter and one main which again was surprising...I'd have expected more choice in that respect from a restaurant of this calibre.

The food was incredible living up to all expectations. In our group of 6 we ordered 3 different main dishes and all of us were very impressed with the portion size and quality of the food. I've only ever had pork chops that good at home and in Greece which is saying something!

So why not full marks?

The stairs up to the toilets are treacherous in heels, very dangerous. In fact I wouldn't feel totally comfortable on them in anything other than trainers. I totally 'get' the mix of rustic, modern and urban in the décor, but that should never compromise safety. In addition the toilets didn't smell very nice and were quite grubby, and I don't mean just from a busy days traffic; more the type of smell and dirty that builds over time through poor cleaning - a really silly oversight for a restaurant such as this.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
newcastle upon tyne
“Fantastic food, loved the decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Even though it was mid-week, the restaurant was packed and had a good atmosphere. I had the stuffed courgette flower to start and the squash ravioli for my main - both absolutely delicious. I'm not a vegetarian but they both sounded so appetising and didn't disappoint. I really liked the decor too, it felt very urban. I think the food is priced very well - well worth a visit.

Visited October 2012