“Great Stay!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
Little Rock
“Great Stay!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I had a long stay and throughly enjoyed myself. The management (Ian and Angela) run a delightful hotel. The staff are pleasant and professional, and the hotel is filled with Victorian charm. At breakfast one meets interesting people from all over the world. It is particularly convenient if you are visiting the University. I have stayed at the Awentsbury several times and I will stay no where else when I travel to Birmingham.

• Liked — Historical Atomosphere
  • Disliked — Rain
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2006

I'd booked a room in the hotel and then read the reviews on this website and was expecting the worst, but what a contrast! I stayed for one night after a concert in Birmingham, and on my arrival was met with an extremely warm welcome, and that feeling continued throughout my trip. I had a large, comfortable room with ensuite, tea and coffee making facilities and a TV. I had an evening meal and the full english breakfast, both of which were delicious and well presented. The propiators family were all extremely helpful and made you feel welcome, and in such a lovely victorian property was extremely comforting. All in all a wonderful experience and I would reccoment this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in it.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2006

We booked 5 rooms in this B&B for our sons wedding, having viewed their web site which made it look lovely. False advertising or what! This is a 3 star AA B&B the entrance hall is the only impressionabe room. The bedrooms were poorly decorated, TV aerials hanging off the TV bedding was grubby/dirty and the bathroom - the shower had mildew in, no plug in the sink and if you dared to sit on the toilet it moved! One room was advertised as an en suite but had the shower and basin in the bedroom and the toilet across the corridor. Breakfast consisted of no choice of cereal or fruit juice, or colour of toast it was white cardboard or nothing and I dispute whether it had actually seen the toaster. We had to ask for butter/milk, the hot breakfast was cold and when this was mentioned to the waitress she brought us a bowl of microwaved beans unfortunately too late, we had already decided it was inedible and could possibly give us food poisoning.

We later discovered that the owners had gone away for the weekend leaving two young girls to run the business, this was not good practice especially as they knew they were going to have a full house that weekend. Definitely not recommended.

Poole UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2006

Background-I stayed here for one night as my pre arranged accomodation was not available hence the booking was made at the last moment. Having said that even though the hoover was removed from the top floor room on my arrival I'm not convinced it had been hoovered-the carpet had the feel of me always wanting to wear my socks-ie not particularly clean and if I'm really honest the bottom sheet had been placed over an existing sheet, the pillow cases had holes in and the quilt had an odd smell. The bathroom was dowdy in keeping with the whole feel and the whole hotel is in need of a bit of TLC (which with a little imagination need not be expensive). There are better and cheaper alternatives.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
ljubljana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

The Awentsbury is about as close as you can get to B'ham University, but that is about its only positive point. The staff were friendly enough, but the room was very cold and the radiators went off at 9am sharp, causing the temperature to fall even more. If you are not used to sleeping at sub 20 deg C I would definitely avoid this place outside of the summer months. Breakfast options were "the full English" or nothing - don't expect any cold meats, pastries, yogurts or anything like that.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

The proprietor was quite "friendly", but I think he was rather racist!! I was being provided a kettle with a broken/eroded tip and I requested it to be replaced. I shown it to the proprietor, but was told to continue using it until he gets a new replacement from the market. I've no choice, but to use it and filter away the plastic particles falling from the kettle's tip, before I can drink my tea. I know it sounds disgusting, but I've no choice, because the weather was so cold and I need hot drinks. Perhaps, all the kitchen utensils are as old as this cottage.
The next day when I happened to be in the kitchen, I saw the proprietor passed a brand new kettle to a Caucasian guest. Then, I approached him and reminded him to give me a replacement kettle, but I was turned down again! I got so upset and had taken all these photos as evidents and reminders on my "nightmares" in this cottage.

I hope this terribe "nightmares" will not turn away any foreigner to gain the wonderful experience of staying in a cottage in UK, but my advice is --- "IF YOU DON'T WANT NIGHTMARES, please avoid this hotel !!!!

• Stayed October 2004
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

Although the proprietors were pleasant, we felt their service was not up to the 'personal attention' that they advertise. A number of us at the hotel were there to attend the same conference and, although they agreed to serve us breakfast earlier than their normal weekend time, they were reluctant. Walking distance to the conference center turned into a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride.

Also, even though we requested fresh towels (when they had not been changed after two days), we never received them (we stayed four nights). The property is showing signs of age and use and the rooms come off as rather dowdy.

I know that nice web sites can be misleading, but we expected nicer rooms and a better location than we received.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

Been to Awentsbury Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!