“Tired and dated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Tired and dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We checked into the Copthorne hotel looking forward to the 4 star status that it holds....do not be fooled by this.

The room was OK.

It was very tired and needed updating. Old TV, decor, window did not open properly, no aircon in the ridiculous heat we have just had - however a fan was provided but it wasn't good enough! There were wires everywhere - it just was a lot lower standard than I would have expected (The travellodge is much better).

I would have expected breakfast if paying full rate of £80ish (I booked though a last min voucher thing) however breakfast is a further £7 each.

We went out on the Friday night and came in about 2am. At 9am the next morning the maid came in - maybe its because normally i am attending inclusive breakfast and i have never noticed before, but we were still in bed and it was a bit embarrassing!! To be fair I should have put the DND sign out but I wasn't expecting a 9am visit! lol!

The staff were polite.

You have to pay for the carpark £12 for 24hours - we didn't know this until we arrived!

I would stay in a nearby well known hotel instead for slightly more which includes breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear JedwardsNedwards

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear you were dissappointed by your stay. We offer both Bed and Breakfast and Room Only rates to try and provide best value depending on personal requirements.

We are in the process of redocarting our rooms and we have new TV's being deliveverd in August. My apologies if the fact that we do charge car parking was not made clear at the time of booking which I assume was done through a third party website. We do review our parking charges and are competitive within the city centre.

I do hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

David Lane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Customer service was great. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Beautiful bar and lounger area.
Rooms good with bath.shower........ lovely shower gel.. still the best I have used when staying in hotels.
On the downside you have to pay for internet though the staff were kind enough to let me use if for free as I asked. As it was very hot when we visited,,,, the air conditioning in the room was not adequate so it would be good if they improved on this as it would make such a difference to the hotel that has a lot of going for it just a little bit of nick and tuck needed!!!!!!. Apart from that it is is in walking distance to a lot of amenities, restaurants etc.. in Birmingham and New street station.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that open to the front of the hotel as there is a main road nearby so you can hear the t...
Dear lin w

Thank you so much for your great feedback, its always nice to hear when we do things well. Please do let me know when you next stay so we can have some extra Shower Gel ready for you to take away!

We all hope to see you soon

London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently spent two days here, the location was excellent - walking distance to everything (market, bullring, city hall, brindley place, gas street canalside, jewellery quarter, china town etc), the staff were so very helpful and always friendly, but, and a huge but, the reason for the low score was, alas we happened to stay on the hottest days of the year so far (30c) and were aghast to find the place had NO aircon at all, the rooms, corridors, bar & restuarant were totally stifling! The rooms were supplied with a fan, but the windows could not be opened more than 4 inches, which needless to say, all made for a very uncomfortable stay indeed. A lick of paint and general spruce up is long over due we felt, but we would definitely come back and stay as the prices were very reasonable (we didnt have breakfast), but it would have to be in midwinter, not in the summer months. We all wondered where it got its 4star rating from, certainly not something we would give it due to no aircon and in need of a spruce up badly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of building which is above reception/entrance - its northwest facing and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for your great comments about the team.

We make every effort to keep our rooms a cool as possible through the day however the recent heat wave has presented a few more challenges. I am pleased to tell you we are in the process of redocrating our room and are over 80% done.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel later in the year.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited the hotel for a short business trip to Birmingham.

The hotel advertises four stars on the building but I'm not quite sure why. It is a decent hotel, but it's old, worn down and obviously in need of an upgrade. No free wi-fi (in a business hotel!), and an expensive breakfast with frozen fruit from a can, well that is not the **** standard in my book.

While I was there, the weather was brilliant in Birmingham and the Copthorne does not have airconditioning. Opening a window wasn't quite an option, as apart from my allergies there appeared to be a very noisy road just out the window. And I grew up next to an airport and lived next to a train station if that's saying something. The room had two small beds, set apart and the furniture looked worn down. I was impressed the TV still worked though, it looked really old!

Upon request the hotel conveniently relocated me to a room on the top floor which was a little better for temperature and noise, but just as worn as the earlier room. It did have a good (big) bed.

All in all I think the copthorne is a decent hotel, but if you're expecting four stars you should lower your expectations.

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the top floor, or away from the noisy road. It will improve your nighttime a w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. New TV's are coming and should be installed shortly as well as the ongoing redocoration works.

I am pleased to hear the team acted quickly to your request to move rooms and I hope we can all welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Tamworth UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Working in Brum on 20th July and although I was not resident the staff were extremely helpful and gave great service particularly Harry on the front desk. The restaurant and bar area were fine and everything we required was not a problem. The Service coupled with location makes this a good find for business. Though I have not stayed overnight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear we could help you out on Saturday. I hope next time you are in Brum you will come and stay.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We just returned home after a 2 night stay here and I really couldn't fault it except one small thing - the bathroom lighting was quite poor, but that didn't spoil our stay. The hotel is in a perfect location for shops bars restaurants. We were made very welcome and every member of staff were smiling and pleasant and we got good service from start to finish. Lovely breakfast, and as for the price of car parking the previous reviewer should look at the cost of parking in an NCP car park. Yes it is slightly dated in parts but that doesn't matter when its clean and comfortable and very good value. Thanks for a lovely stay (despite the heavy Police presence because of the protests in the City on Saturday ! )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel has a great location, right near the the central library, convention center and happening places on Broad Street. It boasts a 4 star rating, but it is questionable how it maintains this rating. On the plus side the rooms are reasonably large, bed is comfortable, bathroom is reasonable and there is a good size desk. The lobby is large and there is a bar ( expensive and not very active) as well as a restaurant that serves a large buffet for 11 pounds or so. However, the rooms are old and distressed- holes and threadbare carpets, few plugs for laptops, recharging etc. Worst of all, there is no air conditioning and, while the window opens about 5-6 cm, it lets in absolutely no air. Furthermore, my window at least overlooked the main air conditioning, meaning one is exposed to a bothersome fan all night long, only occasionally overridden by noise from the nearby bars. Most of my colleagues checked out after one night and I probably will too, having given it 2 relatively sleepless nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review. We are in the process of redecorating our rooms and providing additional power sockets to each bedroom. Whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning we do provide fans in every bedroom however I do appreciate it has been warm during this heatwave.

I understand you may well still be staying with us, please do contact me at the hotel if you are, so we can discuss further.

With kind regards

David Lane

Been to Copthorne Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!