“A fab break……...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
“A fab break……...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went on a tuesday checked in early which was no problem as the room was ready. We had only booked a standard room but were given the opportunity to upgrade and were glad we did. Our room was on the 24th floor and the views were amazing. We had access to the regency club which overlooked the canal and offered complimentary soft drinks, tea and coffee during the day, complimentary continental breakfast and in the evening complimentary drinks and canapé. This was a lovely, quiet retreat and was well worth the additional price.
Our room was a bit tired decor wise but they are carrying out a refurbishment floor by floor so hopefully when we return we will get a nice new room. I was disappointed that there was only instant coffee in the rooms. I wish they could follow the lead of other hotels and offer the higher grade rooms a Nespresso machine. It would have made it more luxurious and I hate instant coffee.
Every single member of staff we encountered was professional and extremely friendly and enhanced our stay.
The spa was great too. Good gym, nice pool with jacuzzi, steam and sauna. Very spoiling!
The location was excellent near the canal and restaurants and a walk into the shopping area which wasn't too far.
I loved this hotel and I think that whenever I stay in Birmingham this would be my hotel of choice!

Room Tip: Higher the better………..!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am more than happy to share your kind words with the team. We have employees who are very dedicated and will be happy to know their efforts have come a long way.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can assist you with. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the upcoming future.

Best reagrds

Director of Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Alcala de Henares, spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I must say that I hardly choose one big business hotels but, for this time, I preferred Hyatt as it was right in front of the new city library, the place where the meetings that brought me here would take place. I usually opt for, if I can choose, the warmth and family touch of smaller hotels, specially when traveling with the family but also when I travel for work. Surprisingly to me, the first thing you experience in Birmingham Hyatt is a very warm welcome and check-in by a young, nice and helpful staff. After leaving the reception desk behind I was a bit anxious to see if my request for a high floor facing the city (not the channel) had been addressed. I was lucky and they assigned me a room with an amazing view worth, not only the money paid for the room, but also the visit to the city (see the photos).

The hotel can not be more centrally located, right on bridge street, where many restaurants and shops are located, and also steps from the canals, this nice zone with restaurants, pubs and bars.

Apart from the amazing view, my room was huge, the bathroom was very ample, and overall there was a lot of space for clothes, luggage, papers/books, etc. There was a working table and 2 chairs, a place comfortable enough as for 2 people to work for a week without missing the office. Two armchairs, a huge and brand new flat screen TV, a nicely assorted minibar, a safe locker and a huge (180cms) and very comfortable bed completed the picture. It was also, as expected, very clean.

The breakfast buffet was good, not the best I've had but yes, good quality. The hotel services are nice e.g., common areas are comfortable and the bar is not expensive (good tip: if you have time do not hesitate to enjoy a tea in the relaxing lobby). When I remember my experience, one of the only drawbacks I can think of is that the Internet connection was not free which I find unacceptable given the price of the room. In any case, if you pay one day and then ask in the reception desk for a code to use Internet in another device this (somehow magic) code will work for the rest of your stay

I would really recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city, no matter if in a business or a family trip.

Room Tip: Rooms in higher floors facing the city (not the channel) have an unforgettable view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts.

We do hope you will continue to make Hyatt your preferred choice of hotel. If there is anything further we can assist your with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner has not been well of late so I booked a night in this hotel expecting a better experience seeing as the price was almost double of other local hotels. It was the finishing touches I was expecting to make the difference and they were sadly missing. They also have a bizarre take on customer service whereby, having complained, they required me to pay for another stay but would upgrade me and give me a free breakfast which effectively costs them nothing but does cost you another night !!

The room itself was clean and recently decorated but the bath was well worn and considerable amount of gunge existed in the plug hole which wasn't pleasant. The "make up" mirror in the bathroom would not stay in the correct position as the bracket was old and worn which was no good at all for my partner who has problems with her back . There was no tea and very little sugar which had to be requested to be delivered to the room.
Forget a decent night's sleep if your room faces away from the city centre with loud thumping music playing until the early hours coming from a bar across the road.
On the way through the lobby to breakfast a huge drop of what I hoped was rainwater, landed on my face, scaring me half to death. The head waiter never even made a comment or offered me a cloth to wipe off the water clearly running down my face when I informed him !! Whilst the some of the water was kept chilled none of the milk or the fruit was kept cold which wasn't particularly nice. Dead leaves had fallen off the trees and had contaminated a couple of dishes. The cornflakes were soft and obviously old and this became obvious why when the Head Waiter stood cling filming everything up as they prepared to close up. Even thought we arrived well before the closure time I felt we were hurried throughout the meal and we had to find staff to ask for drinks as they seemed more intent on clearing tables than serving customers. We asked for eggs which duly arrived but the waiter then took my utencils to scrape them on my place off his which is not what you call hygenic !! They were clearing plates virtually as we finished them and were reaching across the table as they did so. We felt "in the way" and left.
Having registered the complaints for an experience I wouldn't care to repeat their response was an upgrade but only if I booked another night which is extremely poor considering these issues ruined what should have been a special and long awaited night out. I've stayed at other hotels in the locale which were far superior and certainly way less expensive than this one. Poor service seems to be being used as a business generation tool which is a first in my experience.

Room Tip: Get a city view, the room will be quieter !! Go early for breakfast and the milk might be cold and y...
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding your stay.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the relevant managers who will ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

I do hope you will continue to make Hyatt your preferred choice of hotel. If there is anything further I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Being a foodie, we come to Birmingham fairly regular and have stayed in a variety of hotels but tended to favour the Macdonald. That was however before we opted to stay here for a change. lovely hotel; right in the centre. Very clean and modern. Chose to stay in a Regency Club room with great views across the city and access to the regency lounge which between specific hours served nibbles and drinks - excellent, and also a quiet breakfast in the morning. Only niggle is that despite the air con, the rooms are just too hot. Why can't they put little windows that open slightly in so we at least get a bit of fresh air. Think this will now be our preferred hotel going forward.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the air-conditioning system in your bedroom.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Chief Engineer to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

With India reaching the final of the ICC champions trophy, a trip to the final at Edgbaston was a must. Having seen India annihilate Pakistan the week before at the same venue, became aware that the Indians were staying at the Hyatt. So booked an overnight stay for the following week, for the final V England. Car park was about 5 mins walk away, which was a bit annoying, give that it's a 5* hotel. Rooms were comfortable with decent shower. Check in wasn't as smooth as one would expect from an Hyatt, but in fairness with the Indian & England teams both staying here, the hotel was pretty stretched. Breakfast included in our rate and more than adequate. IMHO there are better hotel options in Birmingham

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, we are aware that our parking arrangements are not ideal, therefor we have a minibus shuttle service to take our guest to and from the car park.

Director of Operations
Essex/London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Excellent service, perfect food, good wine selection. Lovely room with a view, friendly service and very central location. Would recommend staying here and especially if you get it via lastminute.com secret hotel as it was an absolute bargain!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, January 27, 2014

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed here for one night as a post Christmas and New Year treat. The room on the 14th floor had fantastic views of the wheel and ice rink. It was newly refurbished with fresh carpets and paintwork, toiletries and bathrobes (no promised slippers). The meal in the evening was of a very high standard and very reasonable but the breakfast was overpriced.
Now the negatives - we used the leisure centre on the afternoon of our arrival and found the pool to be freezing cold and too deep for me to stand (I'm 5'4") with no visible notification of the depth so I was thankful I am a strong swimmer. After one length we got out as it was very uncomfortable to swim. Our major complaint was our after dinner drink - I opted for a Tia Maria at £3 on the menu and then decided to have a second. When we signed for our drinks the Tia cost £12 and when we queried this were told they were doubles - we did not ask for doubles and they certainly did not look big enough for doubles. It was sad that a lovely stay was marred by deceitfulness and greediness. I remember being 'stung' in the Delhi Hyatt when the price quoted for drinks doubled on payment due to addition of several taxes.
Will be wary of staying in a Hyatt again.

Room Tip: Opt for city view

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, please rest assure that we take your comments seriously and our F&B manager is looking into the pricing issue.

In regards to the deepness of our pool, there is a signage outside when you entering the pool stating 1.68m (5’6”).

Director of Operations

Been to Hyatt Regency Birmingham? Share your experiences!