“Good value and very well-located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn City Centre

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Smallbrook Queensway, Birmingham B5 4EW, England (Ladywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #47 of 137 hotels in Birmingham
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good value and very well-located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently situated about a 5 minute walk from New Street station and it is just a short walk to the main shopping areas and restaurants of the city centre as well as to the cultural areas around the Museum and Art Gallery, the Town Hall concert hall, the Repertory Theatre and the Symphony Hall and Convention Centre. There are also several convenience stores and mini supermarkets no more than 1 minute's walk from the main entrance.

My room was at the back and looked out over a rather grimy back street and the entrance to a multi-storey car park; although it was reasonably quiet most of the time, there was a lot of noise especially early in the morning as dustbin and delivery lorries loaded and unloaded at the hotel's service entrance which was located on the same street. Three years ago I stayed in the same hotel and my room then faced out over the roof of its meeting-room suites and I found it considerably quieter as a result.

The room was spacious and modern in design, with a large and comfortable double bed and a good-sized bathroom with shower only. However, I could have done with rather more shelving and storage space - there was really just a hanging rail and a high shelf above it, and a desk with just one drawer containing the hairdryer. And my room three years ago not only had a bathtub - which I would have appreciated given how cold it was during my stay - but also felt a lot cosier and more comfortable, with more cushions and a comfortable chair rather than just a hard wooden chair. Perhaps that room still does have such facilities, but I certainly missed them during this stay. The flatscreen TV was excellent, however, with access to the full range of digital freeview channels.

The heating in the room was very effective when it worked but seemed to be switched off centrally overnight. One night I returned to a freezing room at 11 pm after having been out all day since 9 am, and with all electricity and heating switched off as part of the usual energy-saving measures taken by most chain hotels these days; unfortunately, all my heater would produce were blasts of cold air, although at 7 am next morning it began once again to generate real heat.

I had the breakfast buffet every morning with a reasonable range of tasty hot and cold choices (although not quite as good a range as in some other Holiday Inns I have sampled recently). Bear in mind that it is cheaper to buy breakfast vouchers for your entire stay at the time of check-in than to charge breakfast to your room when you turn up in the restaurant.

I also had dinner in the restaurant one night and in the bar the other night. I had remembered the restaurant as particularly fine (and unusually so for a Holiday Inn) during my last stay, with many very appetising and imaginative dishes. Perhaps these are still on offer on weekday and Sunday evenings but on Fridays and Saturdays the only option is to have the dinner buffet for an all-inclusive price. This was perfectly adequate but I felt that the salad bar was very meagre and the desserts looked better than they tasted. My dinner in the bar was also adequate, though the bar area could get very noisy.

The hotel was very well maintained and the staff all very helpful and friendly.

This hotel offers good value and a very convenient location. But it felt a bit less upmarket than on my previous stay and so I might investigate some of the other options, such as the Radisson Blu next door, when I next have to stay in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn City Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.

635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Stanstead Abbotts, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is right in the centre of the city in a good location next to china town.
The rooms are really good and well presented.
There is a bar and restaurant on the first floor and staff are friendly.
Rooms on the upper floors keep you away from any street noise or the construction of the shopping centre above New st station.
I forgot they even have a choice of different pillows in the room which is a great idea.

Room Tip: If you are driving you will have to park down the road so drop your luggage at the hotel and they wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Mid Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel - well kept rooms, of a good size; everything very clean. Check in and check out was friendly and efficient, and the hotel itself is in a great location - we were visiting the O2 arena which was only a 3 minute walk.
The bed was massive and very cosy however I had a terrible nights' sleep as the noise from the street below (Smallbrook Queensway I think) was unbelievable, even on a Thursday night! Traffic noise I can cope with but every word of the people shouting abuse at everything and anything was heard through the closed windows of our 8th floor room. I realise it's a city centre hotel and they can't do anything about this but it really affected my stay. My tip would be to ask for a room at the back although those rooms seem to have noise issues.
Breakfast was good, restaurant was clean etc; we only paid about £64.50 (on Holiday Inn website) for the room and breakfast which was excellent value. It was such a shame about the street noise.

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't overlook Smallbrook Queensway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre.

With regards to the noise from outside; I have taken this matter up with the Local Authorities as we do not have any control over the environment outside the building, yet it is also a great concern to us. As being a commercial property, there are set procedures when dealing with those incidents which require a lot time and forms to be filled in. To support our case with the Local Authorities, I will be sharing your invaluable comments with them. Being a City Centre property, you would expect to have some outside noise. Even though, we have experienced similar incidents last year, we can not inform all customers of what could happen, as this is not a regular issue.

Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as we were going to a gig at the nearby 02 Academy - so the hotel location being 5 minutes from New Street Station and the gig venue was ideal. We booked an Exec Double which was spotlessly clean and vey spacious. We were glad of the fridge in the room as having booked Room Only we were shocked at the price to add breakfast to our stay - a "special price" of £10.50 each! Having stayed at a Premier Inn earlier in the week and enjoyed their breakfast for £8 the Holiday Inn price seemed a bit OTT.

The bed was massive and very comfortable, with no noise from outside as other reviewers have mentioned.

The only negative I can think of was that on going to the bar after the gig I was told that I couldn't pay in cash after 11pm and that the bar bill had to be credited to our room. Having pre-paid for the room to ensure a swift departure in the morning, I was baffled by this. The barman informed me that it was to keep non-residents out of the bar - surely just asking to see a room card would alleviate this problem?

On the whole, a lovely hotel and yes, we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
Regarding the bar; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team.
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've spent four nights at this hotel in the past fortnight and I can't fault the hotel itself but that's not to say that my stay was without problems! The rooms seem to have been recently refurbished and are very clean and spacious. The cooked breakfast is a self-service buffet style, with everything you could want to make a very tasty 'full English'. Complimentary newspapers that you can take away with you, are a nice touch. Before booking I read the reviews, many of which suggested getting a room high up at the front or if not, one at the back of the hotel, due to the noise at night from the businesses across the street. I thought I'd play safe and did both...I got a room high up at the back. I stayed Wednesday and Thursday evenings two weeks running and on both visits I was woken up around 5:30am by a refuse lorry picking up dumpster type bins from the back of the hotel on Thursday morning. The first week I was on floor 8 and the second week floor 7 and yet it was still loud enough, through closed double glazed windows, to wake me. I spoke to the hotel and they said it wasn't their refuse collection because they are not allowed to collect before 8am and they blamed the Radison hotel next door. Another noise nuisance is the ongoing refurbishment of New Street Station and the building of a John Lewis store some 200 yards north of the back of the hotel. These building works are 24/7 and whilst not as noisy as the bin lorry, are nonetheless a nuisance. Again it's a shame as it's not the hotels fault. Suffice it to say that I won't be staying here again unless I have no other choice and when I visit next week (Wed/Thu.) I'll be staying somewhere else.

Dear valued guest,

Regarding the noise from next door; please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to the refuse lorry to see if such problem doesn’t occur in the future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had a pleasant room, the receptionists were very helpful yet the worst night I've ever had in a hotel - why?
Simply down to the major refurbishment going on at new street station.
We had extremely loud fire alarms going off intermittently during the early hours, from midnight through to around 4am.
The station say it's planned work, if that's the case the hotel need to let you know when you book or put something on the website

Room Tip: Choose a hotel away from the station
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fethi H, Manager at Holiday Inn City Centre, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Regarding the noise from the new street station; please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to new street station to see if such problem doesn’t occur in the future.

Regarding new street station comments, I can assure that we were aware of the pre planned work, but unfortunately we are not aware of any fire alarm testing in the early hours of the morning

Fethi Hmaissi
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel has a few things that I found annoying. Firstly the cooked breakfast fried eggs that are greasy and overcooked, scrambled and the mushrooms drowning in a sea of melted butter, no dried fruit or nuts, no other choice than orange juice and no semi or skimmed milk.

Then there was the lack of delivery of my ordered newspaper until I twice complained.

Only 2 lifts in a 9 storey hotel one of which was out of order on the morning I checked out which meant having to drag a large case down 3 floors or face a very lengthy wait.

Finally no bath in my room.

The staff are pleasant, and everything was as you would expect in Holiday Inn, but it's the little details that let it down, and it seems to have an identity crisis in that the reception area tries to reflect the persona of a large prestigious hotel, but this initial impression is not backed up by the experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn City Centre, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Regarding the restaurant; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.
Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn City Centre? Share your experiences!