“Grateful for the recommendation” 4 of 5 stars

Westmead Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Redditch Rd | Hopwood, Birmingham B48 7AL, England   |
Ranked #14 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Kent
“Grateful for the recommendation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Another trip to Birmingham and the same old problem of where to stay!
As a regular business traveller you tend to find your usual haunts and stick with them because it’s easier, but when you need an overnight in a different location it’s a bit like pot luck what you end up with unless you have plenty of time to research.
On this occasion and to due to time constraints I asked my customer to recommend somewhere close by to his office which he did.
I have to say that the Westmead hotel was a pleasant surprise, a warm welcome on arrival, well equipped room, Free Wi-Fi, large TV, comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities, very hot water (be careful) all in all just what the weary traveller needs.
Bar was light and airy and food service was fast, the menu was reasonable and the quality of the food good.
Even though I arrived late in the evening there was plenty of parking.
This one goes on my trusted haunts and I will be using again.
One piece of advice!
Don’t trust your Sat-Nav to get you there; mine took me nowhere near but that might just be mine!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have stayed here 3 times on a Saturday evening this year and never again. The most recent in September 2012

I have no problem with wedding functions happening. I am sure they are a very valuable income to the hotel, but I do not wish for my room be so close to the DJ that it enables me to place a song request at 1:30am.

It appears that of you book on a comparison website and pay about £50 - £80 for a room (normal price £125) you will be placed in one of their noisy rooms. When you ask to be moved to another part of this large hotel you are told that the wedding guests have those rooms. Surely it would make sense for the wedding guests to be near the function room and for us not to be. If I was a guest at the wedding, I would of expected to have been given a room close to the noise. But I guess, that common sense does not apply here.

It is a shame as the food is above average, the beds are massive and VERY comfortable and the rooms are exceptionally large. But as this has happened to us 3 times this year, we will not be back. We moved to a Hampton by Hilton hotel the 2nd and 3rd night, near Starcity and had a perfect nights sleep.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on a Saturday night, I am sure the other nights are fine as long as there is not a funct...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Booked chocoholics break and vistited Cadbury world after overnight stay. Room ok in need of upgrade. Staff on reception were lovely and helpful. Son loved activity book and Cadbury chocolate in the room on arrival. Evening meal not up to par. Breakfast ok. Plenty of free parking. Very close to Cadbury world.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We held our wedding reception at The Westmead Hotel on the 1st September 2012. We chose The Westmead after looking at a number of venues and not finding the warm welcome and fantastic package we found here anywhere else. From our first meeting nothing was too much trouble and I felt totally confident that Sam, Janine and the rest if the team had every aspect of the planning process totally under control.
On the day everyone commented on the lovely food, hospitality and on the fantastic level of service received by everyone at the venue. The staff worked very very hard on the day to keep everything running smoothly and to ensure that everything we and our guests needs were catered for.
I cannot recommend The Westmead highly enough and I want to sincerely thank everyone there for making our wedding day so special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had our Ruby anniversary celebration at tht Westmead Hotel, Hopwood on Sunday 26th August 2012. 25 guests enjoyed a private room, superb three course meal, and 100% excellent service.
The whole event was totally faultless and the staff and management at the Westmead went out of there way to make our special day first class and forever memorable.
Well done the Westmead and thank you.

Room Tip: Book the Bromsgrove \Suite for smaller special events
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dudley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nice hotel, friendly staff, we were there for a wedding reception, buffet food not the best, hard pastry case on quiche type things, dry chicken on sticks, expensive drinks (which wasn't a surprise), lovely large beds & comfy, nice size rooms, as for breakfast I left starving, 2 rashers of undercooked very salty bacon, a skinny little sausage, a scoop of beans, cold mushrooms, didn't have a fried egg so can't comment on them, I took one bit of the sausage & bacon & just pushed my plate away, disgusting & very expensive (£10), would attend a wedding again but go elsewhere for food

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've lived out of hotels for the last 2 months and what a pleasure The Westmead was.

I was checked in by Ellie, who had the most warm, welcoming smile and who's professionalism would not be out of place in any top rate London hotel i've stayed in.
I was given full details on the breakfast and dinner, free wifi access and the swipe to my room.
10/10

My room was large with a kingsize bed, nice size lcd TV and complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. The room was well equipped with iron/ironing board, safe, kettle, and the bed was comfy.
10/10

I chose the steak for dinner which came with lovely big chips. I'd been working for 12 hours so I wanted something substantial. It was cooked excellently. There's lots of choice on the menu and a great selection of fresh veg sides if you want to be healthy. They even sell Staropramen lager which can be quite hard to find even in normal pubs.
10/10

I think what most impressed me was the dedication they had to making the customer happy. I had to set off the next morning before breakfast officially opened. The manager (I didn't catch his name) went out of his way to ensure I could have a cooked sandwich on the go and that it would be ready in time for my taxi which was kindly booked by Ellie.
11/10

All in all it was a fantastic stay (although as i'm travelling alone a bit boring - but that's not Westmeads fault!) and it's an example in how customer service should be done.

Would recommend any day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westmead Hotel? Share your experiences!