“Very good value for money but can be problematic if you're short” 4 of 5 stars

ibis Birmingham City Centre
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ladywell Walk, Birmingham B5 4ST, England   |
Ranked #63 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Camden Town, null, United Kingdom
“Very good value for money but can be problematic if you're short”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Midweek 1 night stay for my Mum and I. Excellent location, a stone's throw from the Bullring, the Old Rep and the Hippodrome.
Secure onsite parking - don't attempt if you're no good at parking as very tight to enter.
Checked in at 1pm and generous check out time the next day - that went for the parking too.
Bit extra to pay for breakfast which was a fair spread of options. Quite an entertaining breakfast room, little lady attendant couldn't wait to snatch plates away as soon as anyone had their last mouthful - unfortunately not so hot at restocking hot breakfast ingredients, bread, glasses and mugs.

Some shorter guests had to abandon the opportunity of a cup of coffee as they couldn't reach the mugs which are situated right at the back of a square, long shelf 'hole' which short armed people can't reach. I would recommend bring your own small stepladder to breakfast. You could of course wear stilletto heels which the height challenged manager took great advantage of to reach into the leftover hot breakfast items at 10.00am!

Spotlessly clean, brilliantly comfortable bed, warm and friendly staff. I'd recommend it for a basic, value for money stay.

• Stayed April 2012
Sam W, Manager at ibis Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.

Sam White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked 2 double rooms & 1 twin room for a 1 night stay at the Ibis Birmingham for a birthday weekend, hotel was very easy to find, upon arrival the staff were very welcoming, check in was easy, rooms were immaculate and the bed was very comfortable, en-suite was nice and clean with a large walk-in shower. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and facilities were excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others looking to visit Birmingham whether it be for a romantic weekend or shopping trip. 5*****

Room Tip: I would suggest you book early as this hotel is very popular due to its prime location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the ibis Birmingham City Centre again very soon.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here after going to a gig at the LG.
The hotel is fantastic for an over night stay in the city.
I was impressed with the price (we didn't do breakfast) of the room and found it to be very comfortable and spacious.
The bed was very comfortable and we slept well and the bathroom, though small, is perfectly formed and there is a good strong shower for washing way the dirt after a gig, show or a day shopping in town.
We were a bit disappointed in the evening when we bought a bottle of wine (Rose Zinfandel) and thought the price didnt reflect the quality (£15) and the service on the counter after 10pm is poor due to there only only being one staff member manning it, the bar and the seating area.
All in all the staff were very friendly and helpful though and the one staff on in the evening was very apologetic.
Staying here again in April due to the quality of the experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We at the ibis Birmingham City Centre very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited and great value for money. Nice clean rooms and friendly staff in a great location. Would recommend for short stays in Birmingham with it being within walking distance from New St Station and the bullring.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at ibis Birmingham City Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had an excellent stay here for two nights was going to cheltenham festival so was ideal as new street station 5 minutes walk. Located right at the bullring shopping centre with the hippodrome just round the corner if you fancy a show at night.. Got this hotel at a fantastic price with breakfast included. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was eat as much as you like and very nice too. Had no problem with noise or the facilities or the room. wOULD DEFINATELY RETURN WHEN IN BIRMINGHAM

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

K_TAHILIANI, Manager at ibis Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Many thanks for the positive comments, I'm happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the ibis Birmingham Centre in the near future. Kind regards,

Operations Manager
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The rooms are ok at the hotel - typical budget travelodge/ibis fair. But, this hotel seems to cater for everyone going out and getting mind-manglingly drunk in Birmingham of an evening..

The amount of noise from the corridors (combined with a fire door that banged every time it closed) outside my room was unbelieveable. This, with the level of noise from the various nightclubs located next to the hotel, means a pretty bad nights sleep (unless you have earplugs with you!!)

Breakfast - ouch... This has to be the cheapest, nastiest buffet ever in the history of budget hotels.. (Actually, probably on a par with Holiday Inn Express Bradford - but lets not go there). The beans, sausages, powdered scrambled egg and coffee have to be the cheapest that Accor could possibly find. They are devoid of all taste and are absolutely disgusting, I really can't put it any more bluntly than that - avoid!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at ibis Birmingham City Centre. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matters you have raised, but feel free to email me on h1459-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards, Sam White
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This rating had little to do with the hotel but with the location in the city. It is located right next to the City Centre. On my first night there, I was shocked at around midnight when loud music started playing. This went on until 4AM! Yes, 4AM! At no time was I warned of this and when I called the front desk, I was greeted with indifference from the hotel manager. Amazingly, this was a medium-level room. Even so, I got virtually no sleep. I can't imagine what the loudest rooms would have been like.
Fortunately, I was moved to a quiet room for the remainder of my stay and that was OK although I could still just barely hear the drum beat. If you must stay there, ask for one of those rooms to keep your sanity. The rooms though were clean and the breakfast they offered was pretty good. Even with that, I would never stay there again as there are other very good hotels in Birmingham.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at ibis Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback and am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from outside the hotel building. Rest assured we are addressing the noise level matter with our future upgrade of our windows. We are also working closely with the local authorities to ensure that street noise is controlled. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Kishor Tahiliani
Operations Manager

Been to ibis Birmingham City Centre? Share your experiences!